Carpal tunnel syndrome

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candis

Reaction score
Hi
I have this in both my wrists and it's getting worse, how have other hairdressers gone about having the surgery and how long did u have to take off work?
Thanks

What treatment have you had for it so far?

Woman at my work had surgery and was off 6 weeks, dont think it made that much difference though. I suffer too but not to the extent of needing surgery

Docs thought I had it in my wrist but after tests, they found I had a trapped nerve in my neck. Had my first rib out to release the nerve. I was off work for 8 months and 9 years later it's no better :( They told me to give up hairdressing to ease the pain.I've had a few friends who've had the op on their wrists and it's no better either:/

Have any of you tried scissors like double swivels?

Docs thought I had it in my wrist but after tests, they found I had a trapped nerve in my neck. Had my first rib out to release the nerve. I was off work for 8 months and 9 years later it's no better :( They told me to give up hairdressing to ease the pain.I've had a few friends who've had the op on their wrists and it's no better either:/

Wow TMH, this is almost exactly the same as me! I had the carpal tunnel release April 2011 and some of the symptoms were relieved but in certain positions I still had them. I finally had an MRI scan earlier this year and I have a protruding disc between C5 and C6 trapping the nerve to my right arm. I've seen a neurologist today and he's recommended for the sake of the times I have the pain, it's not worth putting myself through the surgery as it's not guaranteed to work and in 80% of people it eventually rights itself anyway. I was happy with that! Ironically, I used to have a job where I sat at a desk using a computer, but that is one of the positions which still brings it on so I swapped for a career in beauty. So far, so good!

I'm not a hairdresser but a beauty therapist, I had carpel tunnel in both hands had seperate surgery , left hand then right , a few mths apart (only coz I had little ones to look after, otherwise I would have done it at same time) . I took a week off with them two weeks of light duties. It took about 6-8 wks to feel ready to get back to normal duties! However, I think if you had both done at same time you'd need a lot longer!

Although one of my hands never fully healed, although it doesn't bother me much, the relief from the pain, numbness and tingling etc, started almost immediately, literally noticed a differnce within days!

Wow TMH, this is almost exactly the same as me! I had the carpal tunnel release April 2011 and some of the symptoms were relieved but in certain positions I still had them. I finally had an MRI scan earlier this year and I have a protruding disc between C5 and C6 trapping the nerve to my right arm. I've seen a neurologist today and he's recommended for the sake of the times I have the pain, it's not worth putting myself through the surgery as it's not guaranteed to work and in 80% of people it eventually rights itself anyway. I was happy with that! Ironically, I used to have a job where I sat at a desk using a computer, but that is one of the positions which still brings it on so I swapped for a career in beauty. So far, so good!

I was told only a low success rate but was in that much pain, I was desperate! Wish I hadn't had it done now cos of the weakness to my arm and numbness from the op. They daid I needed the other side done but I told em to forget it lol! Keep on with the beauty if I were you :biggrin:

My husband has had this operation.
He sells ice cream and, if you think about it, he uses the same muscles with his scoop as a hairdresser would use with scissors.
It was about 4 weeks after the operation before he could use a scoop again.
He has some scar tissue in the palm of his hand, but no more pain. :biggrin:

Skip the surgery, that will be what ends your career, instead change your diet and exercise the muscles in your arms. Yoga is a great way to correct such issues.

I know how you feel, I have developed a similar symptom in my right inner elbow it's called Cubital Tunnel Syndrome and it's the 2nd most common ailment after Carpul Tunnel.

Unfortunately it got so bad I had to stop my hairdressing career a couple of months ago as the pain was excruciating, I was given physiotherapy exercises and Ultra Sound treatment which have helped, and I have to get a Nerve Conduction Study done soon as the arm can feel very weak.

The physio told me about an operation that could be done to decompress the nerve but that sounded very drastic and something that I would only consider if things got so bad.

My doctor also prescribed a Trycylic drug called Amytriptyline for me, it used to be prescribed for depression but now it is very good for nerve pain, I'm on 20mg a day, but you have to take it at night cos it can make you drowsy, they have really improved the nerve pain as normal painkillers didn't even work.

Has your doctor mentioned about any Trycylic medication for you to take? It might be worth a try.

I used to take amitriptyline years ago for migraines I will mention it again I have been taking naproxen an anti inflammatory
Have had no treatment apart from wearing splints.
Just as it's getting worse am panicking as being a single parent have that amount of time off work is totally a no go and would not be able to pay my mortgage!
So painful on a daily basis now whereas it used to be only every few months :( x
I have changed diet I've lost 2.5 stone and I exercise regulary using weights for my arms In fact it's web worse since I did all this lol !
X

Latest posts

Back