CCO gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For all we know the product might be very good. But we may never know as its impossible for us to use it on clients. The chinese are very good at copying and have probably got it pretty exact (my guess - do not know it for a fact).

Whilst I believe as long as they dont mention any trademarks they are not acting illegal (very naughty though!), no professional will buy it due to safety and insurance. But if they actually marketed it as a new brand and did safety certificates on it, and had a UK distributor perhaps they may do better.

So I am wondering who they are aiming it at - they must realise that pros wont buy it - so it could be the general public and non-pros.

I have just looked at the details of purchasing bluesky shellac in china and if you buy enough of it, there is money to be made compared to what it is being sold at on Ebay. And there is one seller on there selling absolutely loads of it - but interestingly they do make a big thing of saying it is not CND shellac.

Interestingly as well, at the china end is says they will label it with what you want if you buy enough - perhaps that is what the people who sell what is supposed to be genuine CND shellac do. Otherwise how can they sell it cheaper than CND if it is genuine?

Ooooh its a can of worms.....

xx

Don't mean to be rude, but as a DIYer, I know to buy the proper stuff from the proper suppliers, as do most informed DIYers. But I can't tell you how many salons (and not just NSS) I've been in and found this fake Shellac and Gelish.

The difference is that most DIYers who buy this fake stuff buy it out of ignorance and harm only themselves. The "pros" (because a real pro wouldn't do such a thing) who buy it know what they're doing and are passing it off to clients as the real thing. And, of course, there is that most dangerous middle - untrained people passing themselves off as pros. Sometimes, I think they are the target audience for this fake stuff and are the ones who do the most damage.

I disagree because home DIYers won't just do there own nails.I have always said if you want to do nails go get some training and get some good products.most companies will not sell products to people without a certificate hence eBay buyers.

I disagree because home DIYers won't just do there own nails.I have always said if you want to do nails go get some training and get some good products.most companies will not sell products to people without a certificate hence eBay buyers.

Just to say I don't mean all DIYers before that gets all outa control lol.I don't think though general public should be able to buy real products let alone fake ones.jmo

You and I Colleen have the same opinion, and I'm also not in the mind for any arguments about it, so I'll just say this-

If DIYers are getting their hands on genuine, authentic products, especially Pro only products, fair play to them, if it works out. It's not affecting me or my business right now. I imagine that's true for most of us x

I've edited to add- NancySyd, your profile states you were a nail tech. Therefore you are still a qualified person and not the kind of DIYer I'm referring to. I acknowledge the valid points you made x

Last edited:
You and I Colleen have the same opinion, and I'm also not in the mind for any arguments about it, so I'll just say this-

If DIYers are getting their hands on genuine, authentic products, especially Pro only products, fair play to them, if it works out. It's not affecting me or my business right now. I imagine that's true for most of us x

I've edited to add- NancySyd, your profile states you were a nail tech. Therefore you are still a qualified person and not the kind of DIYer I'm referring to. I acknowledge the valid points you made x

Much as appreciate the acknowledgment, I must confess that being a nail tech almost 40 years ago doesn't make me even close to qualified! In fact, sometimes I think I'm worse than other DIYers - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. What passed for training and licensing then was truly laughable - even the worst NSS nowadays is better than we were back then.

But I think if you went to some of the DIY websites you would be impressed with what a lot of these DIYers are doing. They are discussing the same issues you are in terms of product quality, techniques and safety. The lamp debate on the DIY site is non-existant - they all know to use the manufacturer's lamp! I find that the questions and answers on those sites are as sophisticated and knowledgeable as the ones here. More and more, I believe that the pro-DIY divide is a false one. I don't think they impact your business except in a positive way.There are messers among both pros and DIYers - it's a matter of character, not licensing.

I am in the States and it is easy to get most pro products here honestly and openly, so we don't have to use eBay or Amazon and risk getting fakes. And most DIYers are only doing their own nails or maybe a family member - and they're not doing it for money. As much as I value the salon experience, I really like the DIY one. My niece and I get together and do our nails together, and I have lots of friends who've admired my Shellac/Gelish and now they go to pros, so I feel like my DIY efforts benefit pros as well as the products. I think the category of people that we are all most concerned about are the "pros" who are untrained and servicing others. Once money gets into the equation, there is a lot of room for really bad conduct.

Can I just say if you buy a fake 'anything' be it a bag, nail polish, pair of fake Loubis shoes lol then you're basically funding prostitution, human trafficking, drugs, slavery, child labour etc etc. Plus it's super easy for these products to be copied. I used to work with a woman who was dripping in 'designer' labels that all came from China and Hong Kong!

It's not for me thanks

Hi Everyone,

In IT for example we have app. 3-4 big OEM (=Orig. Equipment Manufact.) who produce almost all IT equipment on this planet. However we have ten thousands of ODM's (=Orig. Design Manufact.) reselling these; all with their own branded info on it.

So to say HP is better than Dell or any other brand is actually kina bull****. Except the plastic housing on one product may look nicer than the other one. Just as is with the Apple Macbooks being made by Quanta, who is the same OEM for HP.

Now the same applies for CCO and CND, Harmony. Sorry to disappoint you but their products aren't being made anywhere in the US, Spain or Mexico. They're being made in china at CCO, who's their OEM and also ODM who provides the labels on the bottles.

CND, Harmony etc. do however provide extra quality checks on their products to make sure everything keeps running smooth in china. But saying their product is tha REAL thing and is better than the 'fake' ones.... Hmmm, I doubt it, that's all pure marketing...

Does paying more for a product make it a better product? Most people think so...

Hi Everyone,

In IT for example we have app. 3-4 big OEM (=Orig. Equipment Manufact.) who produce almost all IT equipment on this planet. However we have ten thousands of ODM's (=Orig. Design Manufact.) reselling these; all with their own branded info on it.

So to say HP is better than Dell or any other brand is actually kina bull****. Except the plastic housing on one product may look nicer than the other one. Just as is with the Apple Macbooks being made by Quanta, who is the same OEM for HP.

Now the same applies for CCO and CND, Harmony. Sorry to disappoint you but their products aren't being made anywhere in the US, Spain or Mexico. They're being made in china at CCO, who's their OEM and also ODM who provides the labels on the bottles.

CND, Harmony etc. do however provide extra quality checks on their products to make sure everything keeps running smooth in china. But saying their product is tha REAL thing and is better than the 'fake' ones.... Hmmm, I doubt it, that's all pure marketing...

Does paying more for a product make it a better product? Most people think so...

Very interesting. If its true, wouldn't every company using the "OEM" have specific contracts and copyrights prohibiting the use of their exact formula and design by the "OEM" for another company? So what I am asking is: even if it is all made at the same place, wouldn't the contents be slightly different?

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Can I just ask...who are you, and how did you come by this information?
Have you any actual facts to back this up?

I am not really prepared to accept a sweeping statement like this from a new member who has not filled out their profile, and does not even seem to be in our Industry.

I await your second post with interest ;)

Sorry if I'm not getting this but are you saying that harmony, cnd etc are aware of this & it's ok as long as the quality is good? :confused:

Ive seen it a few places there's a rep not far from where I live selling that and bluesky. It states it's the same ingredients and 3free as per cnd shellac. And its applied in the same way and states it lasts for 16-30 days I use cnd shellac but find it getting quite gloopy and thick. I've used gelish which was a disaster. Frustrated now at this stage

Ooer, why was Gelish a disaster? if you don't mind me asking? I've got a thread on here at the moment about I'm thinking of switching from Shellac to Gelish as I'm fed up with Shellac chipping but your comment has worried me a bit - can you expand a bit please?? xxx

Ooer, why was Gelish a disaster? if you don't mind me asking? I've got a thread on here at the moment about I'm thinking of switching from Shellac to Gelish as I'm fed up with Shellac chipping but your comment has worried me a bit - can you expand a bit please?? xxx

It was a disaster because it was cco gelish a fake copy Xx

Oh no! where was it bought from then? How have you got on with a "proper" gelish? xx

Some dodgy wholesalers sell it some ebayers sell it too, that's why we should buy direct from authorised distibuters, same for all brands, opi had a problem too with fakers, anyway hun, yes we use gelish at work & it's great we have no problems at all with it xx

Some dodgy wholesalers sell it some ebayers sell it too, that's why we should buy direct from authorised distibuters, same for all brands, opi had a problem too with fakers, anyway hun, yes we use gelish at work & it's great we have no problems at all with it xx

Cor I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief now (not that you had dodgy Gelish but that legit Gelish is good!)

Thanks Pinky xxxx

Hi Everyone,

I doubt this is true. According to CND, Shellac is made in the United States and packaged in Mexico. Also, when I was in China and Hong Kong last summer, I searched high and low for Shellac and could not find it for the longest time. Found lots of knock offs at very low prices. When I finally found Shellac in Hong Kong it was very expensive and they said it was because it was imported.

And btw, I've seen/used CCO Gelish and it is definitely not the same product as real Gelish.

Not that being made in China is a bad thing, lots of great products come from China. But there is an issue of accuracy here.

I've bought all three (CND, CCO and Blue Sky) because this post was bugging me, so, I thought I would do a test. I think that the Blue Sky one isn't quite as 'brilliant' as CND and CCO. I bought all three in the same colour just to check and bought all the base coats and top coats and I drew a hand on a piece of paper and wrote out which finger was which) and wore the same colour on each nail. The colour was Iced Cappucino. On the back of the CCO brand, it has a patent pending in China mark SKU 40401 P/N 77521. When I do a search for Creative Nail Design, there is a patent there, but, doesn't seem to be for 'shellac' (I don't think I can post the link, but, this is the patent number: US 8,124,058 B2 and it reads " A method for reducing or eliminating delamination of an artificial nail structure from a natural nail surface, wherein said artificial nail structure is obtained by polymerizing on the natural nail surface a polymerizable monomer composition, said method comprising adding to said polymerizable monomer composition an effective amount of at least one multicarbonyl-vinyl containing monomer and at least one other ethylenically unsaturated monomer." (This is an awarded patent). However, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with their Shellac and I think I read that CND shellac is also 'patent pending' (which would mean that the patent has not yet been approved by the USPTO. Just looked it up out of curiosity because you all seem to have been debating this for a while. In my search, the only patent pending I could find was the one in China. The word 'shellac' is actually 'registered' by CND though. (but, that is only one-word, for example, CCO could apply for 'CCO shellac' in the USA and be awarded the 'registration' quite easily.

The other thing is, I don't know what US regs are regarding products that say 'made in the USA', however, is it possible that a company can buy nail varnish from another part of the world and also buy the bottles from another part of the world and then bottle them in the USA and have the packaging (boxes or whatever) made in mexico and still call it 'made in the USA'??? I need to ask about that though. (my dad is a patent lawyer. I don't actually know if this is possible or not, but, just came to mind).

well God forbid you have a query and need to ask your suppler for help . know i would rather lift the phone to my lovely supplier than try and track down someone through ebay or where-ever.
any serious , self respecting therapist would deal with a recognised brand rather than a mickey mouse version bought off the web from God know's where.
you reap what you sow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back