CCO gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know where Shellac is manufactured? Is it the US perhaps?

xx

As I've said before on this forum, why on earth would any professional want to use a product from China? The country has one of the worst reputations for knocking off products and poor product safety (baby milk and toys were well documented in the UK and worldwide press). Or think of it like this - would you put Chinese makeup on your face?

It's unfortunate that there are morons out there who actually import this stuff to make a buck, but it doesn't mean that you as a professional should buy it. Leave it to the DIY'ers who don't know any better.

The cost of any professional product is a small fraction of the cost of service. There is no gain to be made by cutting costs by buying rubbish that most probably does not meet European or US cosmetic safety laws. You will always make more money by using the best available products and upping your skills so that you stand out against the local competition.

People who complain about application problems simply aren't following the manufacturers application procedure or are mixing products, or using the wrong lamp. Professional manufacturers spend a lot of time perfecting their application procedures and would not make a product available that doesn't work as advertised. It's not worth risking their reputation.

Last edited:
Exactly!! But please don't mention the lamps!! :eek: Some people think its a big conspiracy to need the correct lamp for each system! ;)

No offence intended but I think we DO have to mention lamps as it is becoming more and more obvious that the techs using lamps from a different system (unless stated it's ok by manufacturer) than the system they are using, are having more and more problems.

So this is why it is being recommended more and more now to make sure you use the same companies lamp that you are using for gels, SOGP etc, this way you can ensure the correct cure and correct service as the product was tested with that companies lamp (unless the company states otherwise, which we rarely see now)

Just a thought here, but dont most things come from China? I dont think that due to some copies of professional products such as shellac coming from China does not mean that there is anything wrong with chinese products. I would think most 'off the shelf' make up sold in shops is actually made in china.

I think the actual problem with the copies, (of for example shellac), is that they are not necessarily tested for safety - and thus are unsuitable for therapists to use on their clients. Products that are purchased from sweet squared (CND) are tested and proven safe and thus is the avenue responsible therapists should go down.

This is not to do with them coming from China - its is just they are untested. Products can be quite safely made in china and be tested as safe.

xx

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking that those bottles of shellac and gelish arnt actually what they say they are as it has cco on the bottle.

If so does this not mean that when the op says it's gloopy and peals off and the application isn't right that it's because it's not true shellac or gelish

Could this not be the problem :lol: x

Oh myyyyyyyy, what I meant was the manufacturing company that makes the product for CND..........not CND themselves. If CND makes their own products then I stand corrected, but most companies have a manufacturing company make their products for them. For instance there are about only 3 or 4 manufacturing companies that make plastic tips, but they make them for everyone according to that company's specifications. Just like polish, there are only a few manufacturing companies that make polish and they produce for many companies. This often is what happens with copy cat products.

I will say this again, I like CND products and was NOT bashing the company!!!!!!! My oh my!!

Whilst I agree with the sentiments of this part of your post...

PLEASE everyone, I URGE you to give absolutely ZERO airtime to this comment whatsoever...

CND did not spend FIVE years researching and developing Shellac in their own laboratories, to have it repackaged under multiple different brands/different names. The formula is CND's and CND's alone: if it doesn't say 'CND Shellac' on the bottle (& has been purchased from an authorised distributor), you cannot be at all sure that CND Shellac is what you are using!

That is not what I was saying!! Please read above. Thank You!

As I've said before on this forum, why on earth would any professional want to use a product from China? The country has one of the worst reputations for knocking off products and poor product safety (baby milk and toys were well documented in the UK and worldwide press). Or think of it like this - would you put Chinese makeup on your face?

OK. Let's not get all xenophobic about this. Check around your home and business - there's tons of stuff from China. Most things around the world are manufactured in China, and there are lots of defective and inferior products being made all over the world (Mad Cow, anyone...?). I've been doing business in China for the past few years and most Chinese products are good, even excellent, and Chinese workers are competent and hard-working. The problem is that there is so little regulation, oversight, quality control or inspection in China that it gets really hard to tell the good stuff from the bad, especially from a distance.

More importantly, good products, wherever they come from, don't misrepresent themselves. There are very good Chinese gel polish brands - Chu Jie and JHK come to mind. By copying Gelish and Shellac as they do (using their bottle type and graphic identity), CCO and Bluesky identify themselves as less than reputable companies and poor products.

Am I right in thinking that those bottles of shellac and gelish arnt actually what they say they are as it has cco on the bottle.

If so does this not mean that when the op says it's gloopy and peals off and the application isn't right that it's because it's not true shellac or gelish

Could this not be the problem :lol: x

Can anybody answer my question please I think this is all quite interesting I've never seen the bottles with cco on them I only ever by the real thing from the company. X

Colleen, they're just knock off brands, like the Bluesky range, that use the Shellac name and descriptions to generate interest, and encourage people to buy them that don't know any better. You'll find them all over eBay.

If people are using them, because they mistakenly believe they are using the genuine product, of course they'll run into problems x

That's why it's important that we use our authorised distributors because the knock off brands also copy the names of the colors, so daft people looking at eBay as a place to buy stock clearly get confused and buy the fakes. Xx

Last edited:
CND manufacture their own products.
The manufacturing plant used to be in San Diego but was moved to Mexico a few years ago.

Can anybody answer my question please I think this is all quite interesting I've never seen the bottles with cco on them I only ever by the real thing from the company. X

It could be. Without the proper research and testing copycat products will not perform like the originals.

Colleen, they're just knock off brands, like the Bluesky range, that use the Shellac name and descriptions to generate interest, and encourage people to buy them that don't know any better. You'll find them all over eBay.

If people are using them, because they mistakenly believe they are using the genuine product, of course they'll run into problems x

That's why it's important that we use our authorised distributors because the knock off brands also copy the names of the colors, so daft people looking at eBay as a place to buy stock clearly get confused and buy the fakes. Xx

Ohh ok well that's interesting like if you buy fake Dior bag it's the same kinda thing.

See I don't buy things on eBay so all this fake stuff is new to me lol esp the cco thingy on the bottles.

I say stick to the companies and buy the real thing then these kinda problems wouldnt arise would they :biggrin: xxthanks for the explanation xx

CND manufacture their own products.
The manufacturing plant used to be in San Diego but was moved to Mexico a few years ago.

They do? OK, good to know. Too bad for the US though. It is still interesting that the copycat's get the exact same bottle, lettering, etc. Wonder how?

Exactly Colleen. Most professionals would know to buy only from the correct suppliers, but it's the few that don't and the home DIYers that buy this crap, then give the genuine product a bad name when it all goes wrong lol x

Yep you are totally right there both shellac and gelish have been nocked yet they have prob been bought via eBay or amazon this cannot be justified.

How silly and what a waiste of money :eek:.I mean there are so many threads about this kinda thing I just hope more people read up on things like this.

God I've just thought how dangerous using these products on people :eek: x

They do? OK, good to know. Too bad for the US though. It is still interesting that the copycat's get the exact same bottle, lettering, etc. Wonder how?

If I remember rightly I think there is also a manufacturing plant in Jacksonville, so not all bad for the U.S. ;)
CND although still run by the Nordstrom family who founded it is actually owned by the Colomer Group who are based in Spain, they also have a big manufacturing plant in Spain.

As for copying labels...with todays technology that would be very easy to do! These knock off companies are well able to print off the labels and source the bottles, only thing they can't get exactly right are the right contents !

Fake Fake Fake.....always buy the real thing ladies!

Exactly Colleen. Most professionals would know to buy only from the correct suppliers, but it's the few that don't and the home DIYers that buy this crap, then give the genuine product a bad name when it all goes wrong lol x

Don't mean to be rude, but as a DIYer, I know to buy the proper stuff from the proper suppliers, as do most informed DIYers. But I can't tell you how many salons (and not just NSS) I've been in and found this fake Shellac and Gelish.

The difference is that most DIYers who buy this fake stuff buy it out of ignorance and harm only themselves. The "pros" (because a real pro wouldn't do such a thing) who buy it know what they're doing and are passing it off to clients as the real thing. And, of course, there is that most dangerous middle - untrained people passing themselves off as pros. Sometimes, I think they are the target audience for this fake stuff and are the ones who do the most damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back