Chatting & moaning on to my clients too much?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't think of anything more 'boring' than sitting there, in total silence, rubbing cream/oil into someone's head/back/legs or wherever, gimme the banter and gossip of a salon anyday!

Wind your neck in old girl - can't please everyone as the saying goes - it's an opinion and you clearly have yours! sorry about offending you with the word 'BORING' I could think of better ones.

Personal insults go beyond "light jesting" and "banter" and venture into the realms of "troll" and "bully".

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hmmnn...the amount of clients I have helped by lending a listening ear? Through their divorces, their tragedies, their kids problems, their personal issues and everything else life throws at them?

That's what I am here for. I am in the de-stress business!

Boring? No. Tedious? No. Burdening? No.

Fulfilling? Definitely!

:)

Virtues, you do seem to 'troll' a lot on here, some may say bully, some may say written wrongly, but hey ho, who's to know what your intentions are?Speak soon 'old girl'

Personal insults go beyond "light jesting" and "banter" and venture into the realms of "troll" and "bully".

I've been called worse. I'm not interested with arguing with you whatsoever, I find that equally as boring. I can not justify how you even came to the conclusion that you took the word boring and somehow became offended by it, it is a well know fact that this public facing industry is renowned for being sympathetic and understanding towards clients and their problems the same as possibly saying " What are you doing for Christmas this year" that will be said 1000 times throughout December. Opinions I understand and accept but I really can't be bothered to understand your thought process as to why the word boring offended you....and as it happens some of my best friends are trolls - the ones that live under bridges that is! I will bid you goodnight.

Am I offended by your replies absolutely not why would I be, you can call me anything you like, I sure wouldn't waste my time reporting it.

Listening to strangers troubles is just something that doesn't interest me, I find it boring that is why I am not a talented hairdresser or a talented nail tech. I'm thankful for you guys it means I don't have to do it. I didn't slate hairdressers or nail techs.

I am opinionated, yes and so what. I will agree with any of you that say it to me - and there are so many others on here that are exactly the same, opinionated and also get slated for being "bullys" as you like to call it. I can't believe a virtual forum of words causes such discomfort to some, although they give it to others happily. It makes me wonder how you all get on in the real world...no doubt half of you will be offended with that comment too...would anyone like to borrow my gold plated tissue box?

Virtues, you do seem to 'troll' a lot on here, some may say bully, some may say written wrongly, but hey ho, who's to know what your intentions are?Speak soon 'old girl'

Interesting Hartey -

"Furious frog, you sir, are a dick" - Hmmmm wasn't this one of your personal comments to a post?

Please do not jump on my bandwagon, you have your own .

Last edited:
*sighs* another thread derailed by 'I'm such a larf, I am'

Back to the OP, moaning and dominating the conversation during a service is indeed a bad habit that you need to break. It turns clients off in a big way. One of the most successful hairdressers I ever met wasn't technically great, but had a sunny personality, and a wonderful chair side manner. It matters.
One of my clients went to another stylist recently for a cut as I couldn't fit her in. She told me that the stylist never stopped talking about her problems, which kinda scared my client, as the stylist said she was bipolar (during a haircut) and was a bit manic. Now, I know that bipolar sufferers can function just as well as anyone else, but telling someone that during a haircut? Even as a 'spare' hairdresser, my client would never return, and didn't enjoy the experience.
So it's wise to be 'mindful' of what you tell clients, and when you tell them. Anytime you have sharp implements in your hand isn't the best time to tell them you were out on the lash last night.

*sighs* another thread derailed by 'I'm such a larf, I am'

Back to the OP, moaning and dominating the conversation during a service is indeed a bad habit that you need to break. It turns clients off in a big way. One of the most successful hairdressers I ever met wasn't technically great, but had a sunny personality, and a wonderful chair side manner. It matters.
One of my clients went to another stylist recently for a cut as I couldn't fit her in. She told me that the stylist never stopped talking about her problems, which kinda scared my client, as the stylist said she was bipolar (during a haircut) and was a bit manic. Now, I know that bipolar sufferers can function just as well as anyone else, but telling someone that during a haircut? Even as a 'spare' hairdresser, my client would never return, and didn't enjoy the experience.
So it's wise to be 'mindful' of what you tell clients, and when you tell them. Anytime you have sharp implements in your hand isn't the best time to tell them you were out on the lash last night.

I agree. I have said on here before that I can often have a really good laugh with my clients - in that I like to make them laugh. I often have an anecdote that I know they will enjoy, but I am quite conscious of not drowning them with my problems. I know that if and when I do, I don't feel great afterwards, so god knows how they feel!!!

Some years ago I was going through a really tough time, and most of my clients knew about it, so they would come in and say 'How's things?'.
I found that constantly talking about it didn't diffuse it, just kept it at the forefront of my mind, so I ended up saying 'All good now' as brightly as I could!

You missed out the word BORING - that springs to mind! ha

I actually find this very offensive. Did you know that year after year hairdressers top the lists of "happiest profession"? You may well find it "boring" but yet again you have taken it too far and turned it into a personal slight on our profession.

Couldn't think of anything more 'boring' than sitting there, in total silence, rubbing cream/oil into someone's head/back/legs or wherever, gimme the banter and gossip of a salon anyday!

Could everyone please settle down and stop totally overreacting.

Why is it insulting a whole profession to say you would get bored with making small talk all day, and yet okay to say beauty therapists just rub cream into backs legs and whatever's?

Maybe a group of people don't like one persons posts, which sadly is starting to look a bit orchestrated., there is no need to to keep bandying words like troll and bully about.

Saying you would be bored with the constant chat of being a nail tech or Hairdresser is answering the topic, personally I love the chat but still think some days every hour is like Groundhog hour :rolleyes:
I know a lot of beauty therapists who don't do nails, because they don't want to chat, so again a valid comment.

I think everyone needs to chill out and remember that offence is something that is TAKEN not given ;)

Could everyone please settle down and stop totally overreacting.

Why is it insulting a whole profession to say you would get bored with making small talk all day, and yet okay to say beauty therapists just rub cream into backs legs and whatever's?

Maybe a group of people don't like one persons posts, which sadly is starting to look a bit orchestrated., there is no need to to keep bandying words like troll and bully about.

Saying you would be bored with the constant chat of being a nail tech or Hairdresser is answering the topic, personally I love the chat but still think some days every hour is like Groundhog hour :rolleyes:
I know a lot of beauty therapists who don't do nails, because they don't want to chat, so again a valid comment.

I think everyone needs to chill out and remember that offence is something that is TAKEN not given ;)

So hijacking threads with irrelevant posts and being nasty and patronising is ok? Rather biased dont you think? Just because you agree with Virtues point of view you are going to allow her to break forum rules with nasty, belittling replies? "Wind your neck in" "I can think of worse ways to insult you", infact three consecutive posts which are unrelated to the OP on any way, shape or form, ranting about not valuing others opinions or wanting to listen to them? Not exactly a constructive attitude to have? All because what she "finds a post stupid so it deserves a stupid response because it is funny watching people being upset?"

You may agree with her insinuation that a big part of my profession is "boring" but allowing the verbal dioreaha which followed shows favouritism.

From the perspective of a nail technician, I try to keep conversations more about the client than myself. Occasionally I will get involved with a personal comment or two .. It s hard not to sometimes but I am definitely not a moaner ... :biggrin:

I've had thousands of most interesting conversations with clients over the years .... Such a varied group of women and many very interesting .... My clients covered the whole spectrum as I'm sure is the same for hairdressers. I love talking with them. It must be more difficult to have that kind of conversation when hair driers are on the go ...

I'm a Weekly client at my hair salon and have been for 15 years so I know my hairdresser well but sometimes think when we try to talk that raising my voice above the sound of the hairdryer, the whole darned salon can listen in. :biggrin:

I too would find having to be quiet in a beauty room difficult which is why I am not attracted to that side of things ... Too tranquil and too much time to occupy my mind with inner thoughts. It would be hard for me to learn to switch off. Plus I'd have to wear short nails which wouldn't do for me at all. Lol

We all have different opinions and ways that suit us to a tee. If the thought of doing another job is boring to some I don't see why it shouldn't be said or that saying it should be offensive to anyone ... An opinion is not a refection on an entire group engaged in an industry and I really cannot understand why anyone should take it that way myself. JMHO

Last edited:
For what's it's worth (and maybe I am a bit biased but I find it really hard to take offence to much of what virtues says and tend to take it as it's intended)- but I'm with izzidoll here.

I am a nail tech, I love the chitter chatter- I let the client lead - so if they don't want to talk, I don't and vice versa! My personality has got me far not only in life but in my career too!

I don't take any offence to virtues comment about it being boring! It's not personal to me? Why have you guys seen it as an attack on your career?

Loads of careers appear boring to me- there's plenty I wouldn't want to do! Being a computer programmer, or a physicist seem to me to be utterly boring jobs!
In fact I hate doing facials and massage because to me that's boring! Also I want to be massaged not giving it. I would be bored and jealous of the client!!! So I stick to what I do enjoy, everyone is different and virtues is allowed to have her say! There has been no trolling or anything of the sort?!

For what's it's worth (and maybe I am a bit biased but I find it really hard to take offence to much of what virtues says and tend to take it as it's intended)- but I'm with izzidoll here.

I am a nail tech, I love the chitter chatter- I let the client lead - so if they don't want to talk, I don't and vice versa! My personality has got me far not only in life but in my career too!

I don't take any offence to virtues comment about it being boring! It's not personal to me? Why have you guys seen it as an attack on your career?

Loads of careers appear boring to me- there's plenty I wouldn't want to do! Being a computer programmer, or a physicist seem to me to be utterly boring jobs!
In fact I hate doing facials and massage because to me that's boring! Also I want to be massaged not giving it. I would be bored and jealous of the client!!! So I stick to what I do enjoy, everyone is different and virtues is allowed to have her say! There has been no trolling or anything of the sort?!

But would you say on a forum of physicists that their job was "boring". And do you think her rants at me are of any contribution to the topic at hand? You may well agree but to call people names is a blatant disregard to forum rules and I am shocked that those rants are being allowed to stand.

If you are on a forum for teachers saying that nails and beauty is boring perhaps that is ok ... on a nail and beauty forum perhaps not.

I reveal very little to my clients and encourage them to talk instead.

I can sense when someone doesn't want to talk so I leave them to their silence and get on with the job.

I have some lively debates with many of my clients about stuff that is happening here or abroad .. I don't do moaning to clients. Period.

Clients however can moan to me as much as they like.

xx

To those who worry about it and struggle to not offload too much info to their clients. You can learn to focus on your client just as you can change any behaviour if you really want to. All it takes is a continued conscious effort on your part to change.

I used to be far too chatty and say too much many years ago, until a friend pointed it out to me. At first, I felt a bit annoyed with her but then realised she was quite right.

When you start talking, mentally stop yourself and try to re focus on your client. Ask them generic questions such as Christmas plans, how's work going, have they tried that new restaurant etc. until you can calm your inner voice.

It will take a while to break your habit but just keep practising stopping and re-focussing on the client and eventually, it will happen automatically.

Funny thing is, I've noticed my older sister is a major chatterbox. But then she didn't work in this industry and is retired now. :)

But would you say on a forum of physicists that their job was "boring". And do you think her rants at me are of any contribution to the topic at hand? You may well agree but to call people names is a blatant disregard to forum rules and I am shocked that those rants are being allowed to stand.

Well no, I probably wouldn't say that on a forum full of physicists lol! But then I'm afraid of backlash! I still think it.

Please let's not take things personally though, We are all different and because or lovely industry is very broad there will undoubtedly be elements of it we like and elements we dislike!

its quite simple...IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY...SAY NOTHING

its quite simple...IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY...SAY NOTHING

Does that not apply to Virtues then? Because she says it in a jolly " gosh arnt I just a hoot" way it doesn't make calling people names any more acceptable.

This is the only thing I really can not be dealing with - this is why I focus on facials and anything that is relaxing and requires silence. I couldn't think of anything worse than being a nail tech/hairdresser where you generally have the same conversations all day and listening to peoples problems. It just isn't me. I'd rather be cracking jokes and making people laugh. Not the best when trying to relax I know! so if i can't do that, silence it is.

Silence it is.....take your own advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back