Cheap Airbrushing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Lawless

Grande Dame of the Brazilian Wax for Men and Women
Reaction score
I'm often asked if I do airbrushing and I don't and I don't want to. However, does anyone know of a good template to do a French? I don't mean those stick on things.

I've had a French airbrushed when they used the middle bit out of a form. I guess what I'm after is a cheap pretend airbrush just to do a French.

Any ideas?

hey kimmi

you can use anything just bend it into shape, when we used to airbrush we just used one of the sides of our masks. They are very inexpensive. Try millennium nails.

Sorry, I'm obviously having a blonde moment: do you mean you are looking for a cheap airbrush just to do frenches with, or a template/guide for painting a french? :confused:

Hi
You can use a piece of paper to do your french polish.

Kimmi Rocks said:
I'm often asked if I do airbrushing and I don't and I don't want to. However, does anyone know of a good template to do a French? I don't mean those stick on things.

I've had a French airbrushed when they used the middle bit out of a form. I guess what I'm after is a cheap pretend airbrush just to do a French.

Any ideas?

if you mean to use whilst airbrushing a french....your thumb
press your thumb on the nail and airbrush you get a soft smile rather than a sharp smile

Thanks for the replies. You know what? I guess what I'm hoping is that somebody has invented a spray can of white paint for nails. Yeah, that's what I want. Does one exist?

You could try the blow pens that you can buy for kids LOL

But seriously if you want a reasonably inexpensive airbrush kit for the occasional French then you could look at Ebay for an airbrush suitable for nail art - (there is one on there at the moment for £14.99 although the paint cup looks a bit big for nails) and get a couple of cans of air and then away you go. Obviously it would not be as efficient as getting a high quality airbrush and compressor but it would be a start to see how it goes.

Ok you can go into a craft/hobby shop and buy an airbrush and compressed air in a can, you then need to get Createx white paint as it has a thick consistency and will suit all nozzles. (as can b thinned) BUUUUUUUUUUT what is the point? you wont be able to work the damn thing and you'll end up oversraying your client n spending ages cleaning up them and the airbrush!

Honestly kimmi just invest in a professional airbrush and TRAINING then you can offer more than just 'french' and can add spray tanning to your treatment list thus giving you a different clientele coming in that you can pitch your nails to.

Melle does training and you dont have to buy anything - you can use her equipment, then you'll know if airbrushing is for you and will still have learnt airbrush nails, body art and spray tanning.
It'll cost you cos the cheap way is not always the best way

RedAdmiral said:
Melle does training and you dont have to buy anything - you can use her equipment, then you'll know if airbrushing is for you and will still have learnt airbrush nails, body art and spray tanning.
It'll cost you cos the cheap way is not always the best way

Yeah...........guess you're right. Who's Melle and how do I contact her?
Thanks for the advice. xx

Melle Stripp of All Things Nails I dont have the number to hand but she's in Professional Nail every month and there is prob something on here with her tel no.
Melle is brilliant and the training is in Walthamstow she'll help you out anytime.

oh actually just go to allthingsnails.co.uk

Have you thought about pm Rachel aka Chocolate..she put on a free work shop for airbrushing for us Geeks..!!

Hey i have got an airbrush....bargain or what !!!! 120.00 and you get the lot....airbrush, compresser, paints, stencils, masks, cleaner, instructions, finger rest, etc
its brill quality and a few of the geeks on here have it and all say the same thing. was delivered in 2-3 days....was by a guy called mike....i was given his email addy from someone else on here and he is a real gent. pm me if you are intrested Kimmi. xxx

Hi Kimmi, I wonder if you can guide me in just the direction of doing a stunning french manicure with polish and NOT airbrushing!! Or can anyone help me - for some reason always seems to come out bulky! Does anyone use the sticky french line and then varnish around it? I sound like a complete novice but weirdly enough that is one look I've never been shown - apart from French on an airbrush! Appreciate any help from you all!! Thanks

Hagridshut said:
Hi Kimmi, I wonder if you can guide me in just the direction of doing a stunning french manicure with polish and NOT airbrushing!! Or can anyone help me - for some reason always seems to come out bulky! Does anyone use the sticky french line and then varnish around it? I sound like a complete novice but weirdly enough that is one look I've never been shown - apart from French on an airbrush! Appreciate any help from you all!! Thanks

Hi, you can use some 'sticky' templates or 'pre-cut masks' with nail enamel or paints, but you will have to use one per nail, as opposed to using one per set of 10 nails with airbrushing. There are some nice 'fancy' french templates available from either Too Much Fun or K-Sa-Ra or our very own Sherrie (Aspirations) and you should be able to use them to make a fancy french or just a normal french. You do need to be fairly quick though, get the mask/template in place, swipe the enamel across and peel the mask off carefully but pretty quick - don't let the enamel start to cure.

I have a page on my website where I have done designs using just paint or nail enamel with these masks, just to show you don't have to have an airbrush to use them. Here's the link:

http://www.libertynaildesign.com/painted.html

You need to click on each thumbnail and that will take you to a page with more pictures in each one.

If anyone wants to know which templates I used for any of the designs, just send me a quick email and I'll do my best to help you! :biggrin:

Jackie
x

Hiya....when painting a manicure i just apply base coat, pink, then swipe the white from left to right across the tip, then top coat. I dont like the guides cos when you peel it off it can look messy. HTH xx

jackie....your pictures are fab....i love the silver and gold glitter polish...please could you tell me what it is or where to get it from....?

I have only saw designs like those with an airbrush....what an inspiration...xxx

NailStyle said:
jackie....your pictures are fab....i love the silver and gold glitter polish...please could you tell me what it is or where to get it from....?

I have only saw designs like those with an airbrush....what an inspiration...xxx

Hi Angie, thanks so much, I'm glad you like them, I did them a couple of years ago for one of the shows here to try to promote the templates!

The glitter colours I use is striper glitter, I find you get a really good coverage of glitter whereas with the glitter 'polishes' there isn't much glitter in them and you don't get the same effect. I bought these particular sripers from NSI over here in Dublin, there isn't a brand name on them I'm afraid! The background enamel I used for the gold glitter designs is CDN's 'Creme Brulee' - one of my favourites and goes so well with the gold.

Hope this helps.
Jackie
x

Thank you everyone for helping me out - Jackie I am going on your website in a mo to have a good look! Nailstyle - I too find the guides sticky and annoying to get off - no clean finish. Am gonna try all your suggestions and see how I get on. How do you swipe a lovely smile line on the white though - this is why I love Brisa Gel forever french and scrubfresh - you can play with it until it's right!! Am gonna get it right if it kills me - either that or I'll have to tell my clients if they want a french look they have to convert to the gels!! Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back