Cheap, cheap beauty treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debdobson6

Reaction score
Just thought I would have a rant!! So sick of all these people of Facebook advertising cheap horrendous nails, totally undercutting. It's not right surely they can be making any money at all it's just a joke. I have people phoning the salon saying I am too expensive I charge £20 for shellac manicure & £25 for French don't think it's too expensive but if I keep loosing clients I don't known what to do?? :(

Just thought I would have a rant!! So sick of all these people of Facebook advertising cheap horrendous nails, totally undercutting. It's not right surely they can be making any money at all it's just a joke. I have people phoning the salon saying I am too expensive I charge £20 for shellac manicure & £25 for French don't think it's too expensive but if I keep loosing clients I don't known what to do?? :(

Yep I've been noticing lots of cheap services lately :( someone doing acrylics for £12.50 😱
Ok they look like a 12.50 job but she had lots of comments for people asking to book in.
What I hate is even some of the parents up my child's school have told me I'm to expensive, I Charge the going rate for my area so stood my ground on my prices.
I've come to accepts that there are people who wants a cheap beauty service and people who want a quality service, I want the quality clients so I've just turned a blind eye to these adds/fb pages and concentrate on my business

Price yourself at a decent price (and you are) ... Let the cheapies go elsewhere. Not everyone is a tight a***! Might seem scary for a few weeks, but in the end you will win and have better quality clients. We charge 28 €. And proud of it.

Last edited:
it's like a broken record at this stage....much like supermarket beans v heinz.... supermarket= all sauce and only a few beans...do you know what i mean!

Yep, stick your ground. Ask yourself why they are so cheap? which corners are they cutting? and why are they devaluing themselves so much. A quality service stands out from the crowd and attracts quality clients.

They aren't making money! Simples!

Well i am offering both cheaper treatment prices along with expensive so i get best of both worlds;)

yep. we have a lady round here doing shellac for £10 x

You just price what you feel to price do not worry any of them i have veiwed one on facebook and she claims to have worked with the xxxxx and as i was looking at her work her cuticles where dry her prep was not done properly and the nail bed looked sore :eek: so like everyone else says you get what you pay for

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they even doing the rock n roll or something else dodgy believe you me if you where doing business for a proper ''living'' you would not be charging a tenner a set

Yep I've been noticing lots of cheap services lately :( someone doing acrylics for £12.50 😱
Ok they look like a 12.50 job but she had lots of comments for people asking to book in.
What I hate is even some of the parents up my child's school have told me I'm to expensive, I Charge the going rate for my area so stood my ground on my prices.
I've come to accepts that there are people who wants a cheap beauty service and people who want a quality service, I want the quality clients so I've just turned a blind eye to these adds/fb pages and concentrate on my business

Could the tech your talking about not just be charging such low prices because she's training or improving her skills?

I've been doing l&p and gel nails discounted as I need to perfect my technique. I don't really have family to practice on as their all still in liverpool and some friends can't have them because of work, so I've needed to advertise via Facebook etc to get clients. I have pictures of my nails on there so clients can see exactly what level I am at and why they are cheaper than other techs. The better I get the more my price goes up. We all have to start somewhere.

I agree some people are genuinely just charging low prices and doing shoddy work, but some of us out there are charging low prices so we can get models to get to industry standard and charge more in the future.

X

Could the tech your talking about not just be charging such low prices because she's training or improving her skills?

I've been doing l&p and gel nails discounted as I need to perfect my technique. I don't really have family to practice on as their all still in liverpool and some friends can't have them because of work, so I've needed to advertise via Facebook etc to get clients. I have pictures of my nails on there so clients can see exactly what level I am at and why they are cheaper than other techs. The better I get the more my price goes up. We all have to start somewhere.

I agree some people are genuinely just charging low prices and doing shoddy work, but some of us out there are charging low prices so we can get models to get to industry standard and charge more in the future.

X

However i do think charging cheep is somehow cutting ya nose off to spite your face because when you are ready to charge a price worth living on you will find you clients will go else where:eek:

Feel as thou its all the time not just people training, it's very frustrating but I pride myself on quality so going to stick with my price & make a living. I hope these people will fade away thanks for the advise

only 'cheap' treatments i have on offer is my acrylics that are £10 for friends and family as im still learning, everything else is the going rate for my area! im mobile and i was at a clients house doing a spraytan and ELT , she refused to pay me the correct total because her ex therapist was 1 POUND cheaper! she then phoned the ex therapist in front of me and started comparing my prices with her, i was mortified! but then she went and phoned another of her ex therapists but she was 3 pounds dearer haha! god clients can be stingy! i didnt get my usual 2 pound tip that night.... x
Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

I charge £18 for shellac mani ad £20 for pedicure!
But when I did my shellac training a lot of the girls on the course were talking about offering shellac for a tenner and 2 friends for £15!

Two of my clients have recently been offered £10.00 shellac nails by friends who are 'starting nails' and i'm pleased to say that both ladies declined as they have been 'Shellac educated by me'. While i do clients nails for the first time i chat about the advantages of using genuine cnd shellac and the disadvantages of products such as Bluesky Shellac. One of my ladies actually asked the other tech if she was using genuine cnd shellac and when the tech said "no its far too expensive i use Bluesky but its just as good", she immediately said no thanks.
I want clients that take a pride in their nails and are happy to pay a fair price for their treatments. I am quite happy for the bargain hunters to go elsewhere.

I recently came across a nail tech offering these £5-£10 acrylics. Although her Facebook page looked busy with people booking, the cracks soon started to show. She got to a point a few weeks in where she was cancelling everyone cause she couldn't afford stock. Even though she was so cheap people who weren't happy we're still demanding their Money bAck. So although they look like they're getting all your business, keep your chin up cause they will fail one day.x

I'm really not saying anything different to what the other geeks have said, but when clients decide to go somewhere cheaper, usually a cheaper service will mean they are getting half the job, corners cut etc.... And they will end up coming back to you, so they have wasted there money and it never works out 'cheaper'..clients do occasionally leave but new clients will replacement that's business for you, and you just have to work 10x harder to make yourself better than the other beauticians etc! Xxx

I know one nail tech on my Facebook who's doing Gelish Extensions for £20! Gelish isnt designed to be used as an overlay for extensions!! Along with other 'cheap' beauty treatments. Her middle name on her Facebook is 'cheap' how classy is that!! It annoys me every time I see her name pop up! Her most recent post was "ladies come get some cheap beauty treatments to cheer you up through this crap weather" how she manages to find clients I'll never know!!!

only 'cheap' treatments i have on offer is my acrylics that are £10 for friends and family as im still learning, everything else is the going rate for my area! im mobile and i was at a clients house doing a spraytan and ELT , she refused to pay me the correct total because her ex therapist was 1 POUND cheaper! she then phoned the ex therapist in front of me and started comparing my prices with her, i was mortified! but then she went and phoned another of her ex therapists but she was 3 pounds dearer haha! god clients can be stingy! i didnt get my usual 2 pound tip that night.... x
Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Horrifying! I actually can't believe that! X

Latest posts

Back