Cheap, cheap beauty treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's so sad as business must be getting affecting by this & to be honest they clearly can't e making any money or paying Tax for that matter, the tax man would have a field day on Facebook! I think even going mobile should put fuel & time expenses which should I feel be same as salon prices just my opinion thou

I have always agreed about this and my regular clients won't be swayed by price as they all appreciate the quality of the work I do.

What does bother me a little bit though is that I had many clients who would come for nails for a special occasion - they don't really care too much if they last a couple of days or a couple of weeks so for these people they're happy to now go to these cheap crappy therapists (not trainees) and I'm slightly concerned that this is going to have an effect at Xmas when people are just wanting them for the occasion rather than the long term!

I have, for this reason put an offer on that if clients have a treatment in October AND November they will receive 10% off ANY treatment in December excluding a few days before Xmas and New Year when I'm hoping to be jam packed full - I know this won't necessarily draw in those 'occasion' clients but it may make them book in thinking they're getting something cheaper but if it fails in that way, at least it's thanking the loyal clients.

I have a special on at the moment because it is quiet right now but it is only for this month. Someone in bury centre is doing Gelish for £12!!! Checked them out and it's not the real thing and they even have the cheek to have a banner up outside saying Gelish only £12 !!! Perhaps we should call trading standards on them.

Sorry I have to add my rant on this subject....

I am new to an area and opening a home salon.. I am fully trained etc and only use authentic products..

Long story short, my first client proudly showing off her Gelish mani in the local school playground... another lady swooped on her, quizzing her on, who did them, price, what were they etc etc... she then offered to undercut my prices if my client goes to her in future.... she also went on to say that she wasn't trained because you dont need to be because its only nail painting.... gggggrrrrrrr......

What makes you think that the taxman ISN'T looking at Facebook?

The taxman is not stupid. They really do catch people.

What makes you think that the taxman ISN'T looking at Facebook?

The taxman is not stupid. They really do catch people.

My cousin works in benefit fraud & they love how people put all aspects of their life on there!!

My cousin works in benefit fraud & they love how people put all aspects of their life on there!!

Do they actually check then? Because this seems to be a growing thing of people creating pages for company's that you know just aren't legit x

[QUOTE=JuZz'

Yes & it helps that the idiots that trade unqualified, uninsured & on benefits don't have the brains to set their privacy to friends only!!

Get over it.
I charge £30 for a shellac fingers.
I'm full until the 24th when I could just about squeeze in a lip wax.

Check your image and well as your qualifications. If you look cheap, desperate, inexperienced, hobbyist, and if you offer discount after discount you'll only ever get the cheapsters.

I look the dogs, my salon does too, and I'm full.

Get over it.
I charge £30 for a shellac fingers.
I'm full until the 24th when I could just about squeeze in a lip wax.

Check your image and well as your qualifications. If you look cheap, desperate, inexperienced, hobbyist, and if you offer discount after discount you'll only ever get the cheapsters.

I look the dogs, my salon does too, and I'm full.

I love this attitude it's so true! I don't take any notice of hobby therapists you attract the client you deserve I would rather have the professional working deserning woman who values herself and my passion and my work than someone who jumps from cheap deal to cheap deal not really caring weather the tech/ therapist is properly trained, insured or doing shoddy work.

Hold your head high girls and let the dross fall to the side xx

where im living theres a new training school opened girls doing nails for £5 i cannot compete with that then theres others charging £15 for overlay as there training yet i charge that and im qulified im at a loss duno whether to jus pack it all in

I just keep the saying "cheap nails aren't good and good nails aren't cheap" in mind! Most people will pay will pay more for quality, especially when it comes to image. Keep the faith! :Love

Love this thread!!

I couldn't agree more!

I've done a lot of research in my area, in loads of salons.

I posted on one of my other threads about this the other day. I took a step further and I went with one of my friends to a discount salon when she told me she's having Shellac done between £10- £15.

Prep which was done, was done by a e-file, and brushing over the natural nail, and it got hot my friend had to pull her hand away. This was done in 5 mins!

Then not to my suprise when they started putting shellac on it wasn't even a CND shellac bottle!! It was a plain black bottle with no label on!

They advertise Shellac but they are not using the original product.

Same goes for Gels. Two of my cousins told me they had Gel done, I asked them where, they told me Xxx shop. So I asked them was it a brush dipped in a liquid and then powder, or was it brush dipped a proper gel, not suprised by their answer, it was bush dipped in liquid & powder!! And they are selling it as gel.

The research I've done I've found out the proper beauty salons charge the prices you would expect (they are not Xxx salons because I've personally gone there).

Its very frustrating when you hear from people when you tell them your prices, they say "oh the Xxx salon don't charge that much"
I tell them " Nice nails arnt cheap, and cheap nails arnt nice!"
I tell them the reasons why they are cheap & if you want to carry on going there your welcome, just don't come back to me when your nails are ruined!!!!

Trying to educate people on why these salons are dirt cheap is impossible at times! They just don't get it. They feel its cheap to its fine.

I've spent good money on training & bought a lot of products from reputable nail companies, so I ain't compromising on my prices, I don't care if I'm just starting out, I don't care if if I don't get customers.
At least I know I'm providing a professional recognised service.

Very annoyed geek ����������

Last edited by a moderator:
Could the tech your talking about not just be charging such low prices because she's training or improving her skills?

I've been doing l&p and gel nails discounted as I need to perfect my technique. I don't really have family to practice on as their all still in liverpool and some friends can't have them because of work, so I've needed to advertise via Facebook etc to get clients. I have pictures of my nails on there so clients can see exactly what level I am at and why they are cheaper than other techs. The better I get the more my price goes up. We all have to start somewhere.

I agree some people are genuinely just charging low prices and doing shoddy work, but some of us out there are charging low prices so we can get models to get to industry standard and charge more in the future.

X

I only qualified in September and did an introductory offer of £10 for a week for acrylics.. I posted pictures of my work and was complimented a lot, also one of my tutors had seen my work and was very surprised on how well I had done the job but only charged £10.
This was just to try get a client base, advertise my work & get some money in that week.
Now my natural, clear or white acrylic tips are only £18! But other mobile nail techs around my area charge £20-£25 for a full set so yes I did put my price down so people came to me.. And they did. (The nail/beauty industry has so much competition some people lower their prices or start of cheap to bring some money in.. any money is better than nothing i suppose) They have seen my work & are very pleased with them!
I do monthly offers (this month I did HALLOWEEN acrylics for £12 for 5 days) - using pre-designed tips.. But ths is practice for me to improve my skills!
However, I have stated that in the new year my new price list will be up & the loyal customers who are pleased with all my work will continue to come to me :)
However, I do understand your frustration when they are only charging a little money for a shabby job.. But hey we all started somewhere & had to do something to try improve our skills :) your loyal customers will stay true to you.

Hope my post doesn't offend anyone as anything I seem to write a lately I get my head bitten off.
Good luck everyone

You will find most of them are not declared so not paying tax etc. They don't have to worry about accountants to pay at the end of the year because if they did they'd have to put their prices up. I had the same trouble around here. People paying £10-£15 for shellac but I just think it looks desperate to be charging those prices and I would agree with the others and say stick to your guns. I charge £23 for Shellac and give them a free bottle of solar oil with their first appointment. If they want to go to the half job bob up the road then let them....they'll soon be back ;) x

You will find most of them are not declared so not paying tax etc. They don't have to worry about accountants to pay at the end of the year because if they did they'd have to put their prices up. I had the same trouble around here. People paying £10-£15 for shellac but I just think it looks desperate to be charging those prices and I would agree with the others and say stick to your guns. I charge £23 for Shellac and give them a free bottle of solar oil with their first appointment. If they want to go to the half job bob up the road then let them....they'll soon be back ;) x

Why would you assume someone would only get a half job if they went to someone who charged £15 ?

Why would you assume someone would only get a half job if they went to someone who charged £15 ?

Because at the end of the day you pay for what you get! and 9/10 of these therapist charging such little money are doing it for a bit of extra cash and couldn't care less if there clients nails last the full 2 weeks. Half of them don't have the correct equipment either.

Because at the end of the day you pay for what you get! and 9/10 of these therapist charging such little money are doing it for a bit of extra cash and couldn't care less if there clients nails last the full 2 weeks. Half of them don't have the correct equipment either.

Hmm the salon round the corner from where I'm based have Shellac advertised on their website for £15 . Given that the salon belongs to a CND educator I highly doubt she doesn't care or use the correct equipment.

My shellac starts at £15 - 1. Im not just doing it for abit of extra cash . 2. I do care about how long my clients nails last. 3. My regular clients come every two weeks without fail for their reshellacs ( chip free and perfect apart from regrowth. 4. I use all the correct CND products , equipment & procedure.
Sadly where I am based I couldnt get away with charging £25 , and trust me Ive tried.

Its very wrong for people to assume that because someone is charging what you consider to be a cheap price that they are doing a bad job or not using the right products/equipment. My price is actually considered high where i am as im surrounded by mobile and at home techs charging £10 .

Hmm the salon round the corner from where I'm based have Shellac advertised on their website for £15 . Given that the salon belongs to a CND educator I highly doubt she doesn't care or use the correct equipment.

My shellac starts at £15 - 1. Im not just doing it for abit of extra cash . 2. I do care about how long my clients nails last. 3. My regular clients come every two weeks without fail for their reshellacs ( chip free and perfect apart from regrowth. 4. I use all the correct CND products , equipment & procedure.
Sadly where I am based I couldnt get away with charging £25 , and trust me Ive tried.

Its very wrong for people to assume that because someone is charging what you consider to be a cheap price that they are doing a bad job or not using the right products/equipment. My price is actually considered high where i am as im surrounded by mobile and at home techs charging £10 .

Firstly I was replying to someone elses post. Secondly i'm really pleased for you and thirdly if you want a row pick it with someone else!
This site is based on opinions it is not wrong for people to assume anything. Would you tell your clients this? Because they assume these things all the time!

Firstly I was replying to someone elses post. Secondly i'm really pleased for you and thirdly if you want a row pick it with someone else!
This site is based on opinions it is not wrong for people to assume anything. Would you tell your clients this? Because they assume these things all the time!

I'm not trying to start a row. I don't tend to discuss these things with my clients no , I've no need to . This is a public forum , you gave your opinion & I gave mine....it's allowed. No need to be rude and aggressive - I wasn't .

Latest posts

Back