Cheap prices for good work-how can you even compete?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChelleConnor

Reaction score
So I know people post about this a lot of the time but I'm finding it harder & harder now.
There is a girl in my area offering Gelish hands & feet for £25... I charge that for Gelish with glitter. Her work looks good & she seems to be getting a lot of people through her door.
I just feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. I can't really learn anything else because I know a load of other people that already do these things.
If the quality of the work is good & the work is cheaper than what I charge why would anyone even bother coming to me?

I just feel like giving up now. It's like everyone & anyone can do beauty/nails. I didn't think it would happen with gels because you need a manicure cert first but it seems this doesn't matter anymore!

Sorry for the down in the dumps post!!

So I know people post about this a lot of the time but I'm finding it harder & harder now.
There is a girl in my area offering Gelish hands & feet for £25... I charge that for Gelish with glitter. Her work looks good & she seems to be getting a lot of people through her door.
I just feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. I can't really learn anything else because I know a load of other people that already do these things.
If the quality of the work is good & the work is cheaper than what I charge why would anyone even bother coming to me?

I just feel like giving up now. It's like everyone & anyone can do beauty/nails. I didn't think it would happen with gels because you need a manicure cert first but it seems this doesn't matter anymore!

Sorry for the down in the dumps post!!

Aw! Big :hug: I can see why you feel like you do. It is disheartening when people work for peanuts AND you say the work is good. If it really is, then it won't be long before her prices go up if she is not a complete fool. In time, she will realise how silly she is being as she can't be making even a minimum wage and she will have the bills to pay. Silly silly girl.

I use a different product with a much higher client awareness of the quality and the brand, which helps people to find users of the genuine article. Maybe think of offering something different if you are both using the same thing. Good luck Hun.

Last edited:
Don't worry yourself, once she has done her accounts it will dawn on her that for all that time, effort & products has earned her very little she will put her prices up. My guess is she is new, & trying to gain customers, maybe even practising.

She will be working twice as hard as you & still not making the same profit.

I see it all the time on FB mobile spray tan admittedly a cheaper brand at £10 HD brows £15 & my area which is 10 miles away from her... I just think Good luck trying to earn money that way! They cant possibly keep afloat unless they enjoy working for nothing. Xx

when you look at it there are maybe 30 passing out of my local collage every 12 weeks with level 2 or 3, it's hard when the market is so saturated.
I went to collect my certificates and folder last week and the receptionist said 'your folder may have been destroyed'. Fortunately it hadn't but they have a lot of portfolios that don't even get collected, that's how much it means to some people!

Like geeg said, why dont you introduce a different brand, maybe Shellac? Do many girls do that in your area?

I'm thinking of doing that next year maybe because I've now introduced Brisa lite.

Dont give up love xxxx

I know how yiu feel! They CAN afford to charge that because a lot of these cheapie aren't paying insurance, tax or ni or keeping books so it ends up being very profitable for them, my friend does
It and regularly tells me I'm daft for declaring it!!!! If she wasn't my friend I would be reporting her. I think if we were all a bit more harsh and reported these people, a lot would disappear and those that are being honest with the tax man will be able to prices up :) xxx

I know how yiu feel! They CAN afford to charge that because a lot of these cheapie aren't paying insurance, tax or ni or keeping books so it ends up being very profitable for them, my friend does
It and regularly tells me I'm daft for declaring it!!!! If she wasn't my friend I would be reporting her. I think if we were all a bit more harsh and reported these people, a lot would disappear and those that are being honest with the tax man will be able to prices up :) xxx

This is the problem, we are all too nice to report! Its our job :) haha

This is the problem, we are all too nice to report! Its our job :) haha

Admittedly I wouldn't have the heart but we need to grow balls really. X

Even when not paying tax it isnt highly profitable... There is still the product outlay, & time, possibly fuel...Tax is only paid on over £9,600. & then at 20% £2 more in their pocket (but they are doing 2 sets for the price of one...) Its not worth the £2! It may seem profitable getting £50 of an evening, but factor everything else in it isnt £50 in their pocket at all. They would be much better charging the going rate & declaring it. But as you said they don't bother doing their accounts to realise.

Xx

Don't compete. Keep your powder dry - worry about your business and nobody elses.

My clients don't come to me because I'm the cheapest, or the most prestigious, or even the best. They come because they like what I do. They like the salon, the atmosphere and the chat. I look locally at what people do and I can get down with 'They have so many facebook likes' or 'They are doing nails for xx amount'. I generally find that girls who want their nails done will shop around a bit, but ladies who want their nails done want flexible treatment times and quality products and a therapist they can talk to. I don't do extensions, I only work on the natural nail, so I make sure I do it well, and I charge accordingly. They are paying for my products but also my experience and knowledge.

Don't compete on price, however hard it is, but make sure you know why you like and use the products you have and share that with your clients. Share your knowledge, skills and your personality.

Good luck x

Wow thank you for your kind words & understanding everyone!
I felt bad to be such a moaner but I'm just getting a bit fed up of it.
I used to just do purely spray tans then branched into Gelish because I found gel polish amazing! I trained in beauty NVQ in 2006! Everybody in my area does spray tans now & I barely even do a tan nowadays! I'm so worried it will happen with Gelish because I love doing nails!
Maybe I will also offer shellac because to be honest a lot of people do ask for it also!
I trained in acrylic but it takes me an awful long time & I much prefer to promote natural nails!

Xx

Wow thank you for your kind words & understanding everyone!
I felt bad to be such a moaner but I'm just getting a bit fed up of it.
I used to just do purely spray tans then branched into Gelish because I found gel polish amazing! I trained in beauty NVQ in 2006! Everybody in my area does spray tans now & I barely even do a tan nowadays! I'm so worried it will happen with Gelish because I love doing nails!
Maybe I will also offer shellac because to be honest a lot of people do ask for it also!
I trained in acrylic but it takes me an awful long time & I much prefer to promote natural nails!

Xx

Thats why i learned extensions because i was getting asked for it quite a lot and a few people have asked for Shellac from me too. x

Latest posts

Back