Chemotherapy and acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saucygirl

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice for a client who has finished chemo, and let her nails grow out, but now I'm having a problem with keeping the acrylic from lifting.

Wednesday I gave her a full set of sculpts and by Friday all ten were off. She said each one lifted.

I'm stumped....

I did my regular prep routine-no other clients are having issues.

What effect does chemo actually have on the chemistry of a woman's nails anyway?

Now isnt that wierd I had the opposite problem with a lady a gels, she had finished chemo, had the hardest nails ever, I had to tip 3 nails and overlay the others she had them on for 6 weeks. Only took them off as she was going on an adventure holiday with her son...could I get the gel off..It took forever...Now she wants them doing again ..lol..x
I think a lot is down to how healthy the persons nails were before and meds..x

Funny, but when one of my clients were going through chemo, all her nails stayed beautifully.

Her doctor said that if it made her happy, to keep doing it.

Kathleen

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had several clients who've gone through chemo. Some were fine, others couldn't keep them on. I had one woman who lost all of her own nails.:eek: It was so painful for her. I didn't know until recently that there are many, many different types of chemo, too.

I've had several clients who've gone through chemo. Some were fine, others couldn't keep them on. I had one woman who lost all of her own nails.:eek: It was so painful for her. I didn't know until recently that there are many, many different types of chemo, too.

Absolutely!

Chemotherapy has an enormous affect on the body. There are no hard and fast rules as to how the nails will be affected following. General health after this treatment varies.

If her nails are not tolerating the overlay then stop doing it. Nothing you can do at present will alter the situation.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/75330-nails-after-chemotherapy.html

Here is a link to a thread I started recently on the same topic. My customer finished chemo and wanted enhancements due to soft, weak nails as a result of the chemo.
I was undecided whether to do them or not but eventually through her insistence, I did them last weekend.
We didn't have any probs and she phoned me yesterday to say she has no lifting, no probs at all so far. Each person is effected differently and it is impossible to know all the effects the chemo has on each individual.
I would try once more and if they lift off again I would leave it at that.
hth
Karen

Latest posts

Back