Children in the salon!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil lisa

Reaction score
I have a problem with clients bringing their (badly behaved) children into my salon. Quite often this results in them spinning around on my stool, spilling things etc- one even threw up! :mad:
Ideally I would like to ban them altogether but realise this isn't practical! There is only so many times I can say 'get off that' 'don't touch that' etc.
Anyone else having this problem and any ideas how to resolve it?

Hi hun
Could you maybe have a children area .I. find kids mess when they get bored. Table few colouring books ect might do it .If you wanna go whole hog tv and a ps3 .

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I'm not allowed to take kids into the office, and effectively your salon is your office....

Sometimes no it's not practical but imagine if (god forbid) something awful happened whilst you & your client were deep in conversation.

I go with the line "I'm sorry but my insurance doesn't cover me to have children in the salon" Clients can't really argue against that.

Hi hun
Could you maybe have a children area .I. find kids mess when they get bored. Table few colouring books ect might do it .If you wanna go whole hog tv and a ps3 .

I have got books, puzzles and a DS for them to play with. This only works for a small percentage. Think it's a case of put up with it or ban them altogether and risk losing a few clients!

I'm not allowed to take kids into the office, and effectively your salon is your office....

Sometimes no it's not practical but imagine if (god forbid) something awful happened whilst you & your client were deep in conversation.

I go with the line "I'm sorry but my insurance doesn't cover me to have children in the salon" Clients can't really argue against that.
Yes I was thinking of the insurance line. Having said that I don't know if I am actually covered by my insurance to have them in there!

This has been covered many times, if you do a search:hug:

The salon really is NOT the place for children.
  • They interupt (slowing down the service which costs you time & money)
  • They can be destructive (which can cost you money)
  • They are NOT covered by insurance (which can cost you money).
A service SHOULD be relaxing which it is not if children are around.

Stick to a hard/fast rule of 'no children' because if you allow one (and it won't matter what an angel he/she is) then you have to allow all (including the little demons).

Explain to the parents that while you understand the challenges they face arranging for child care, your insurance simply does NOT allow for their presence during a service and that you do not want to be responsible. TO WHICH many parents will reply "I'll take responsibility" and you can follow up with "although your child is not a bother, I would have to allow everyone's children and some are downright ill behaved and not all parents will take responsibility".

I'm a full time mom as well as a tech. At the beginning, my husband worked 7 days a week when my children were just babes and toddlers. I KNOW how hard it is sometimes.
YET I still never brought my children to Salons or Doctor's appointments. EVER!
The fact is this: if a client WANTS to arrange child care, then he/she WILL find childcare. Some simply do not want to pay for childcare or can't afford to. That is NOT your fault or problem. That's THEIR'S.

You're running a Beauty-Service/Salon, NOT a daycare.

Perhaps you should check your insurance conditions. If you aren't covered, then that problem is sorted - congrats. If you are covered, you need to work out a way forward. It might be worth you losing a few clients to save your sanity.

Thanks for the advice guys, has all been helpful. I have rang my insurance company and I'm NOT covered unless the child themselves is having a treatment. I'm also NOT prepared to pay extra to be covered for the little rascals so problem solved!! :)

children under 10 ARE banned in my salon. I have a polite notice saying that unless a child is having a treatment or attending a childs pamper party then I am not covered by insurance and therefore I cant have them in the salon.

I have had one person complain, but at the end of the day it's tough. I have four kids and I love them dearly but a salon is no plae for them. It's dangerous.

tigi

One of my clients recently told me that over christmas she booked a mobile treatment and the therapist showed up with her two unruly sons, who ended up messing about with all her stuff and wrecked her xmas tree.. :eek:

I agree with what you all saying - I hate children in the salon

BUT the majority who do come in are great and sit on the 'childrens chair' lol just a pink chair but i tell them its where all the boys and girls sit.

I have mothers just popping in for an eye brow wax and they always apologise for bringing the kids but the reality is they have no choice and if I turned that business away they would simply go elsewhere more accomodating.

I'm prepared to be flexible especially in such financially challenging times.

In London there's a salon that only caters for kids and I really don't know how they've survived charging a fiver for a kids haircut then it went up to £16 only for a month later they were charging £20 there's not many seats filled at all. Also I could see that it would be busy over the school holidays but when they all go back to school the salon was empty and it must be running at a loss sitting doing nothing all day till the kids come out from school. I've had some really misbehaved kids in the seat, I say to em "keep still cos I got an ear box in the car" they soon behave then.

In all the salons I go into to run aesthetic clinics from, none of them ban children. On the odd occasion that there is a child there they do tend to be well behaved and if not their parent/carer sorts them out.

If you're not insured to have children on your premises (although with public liability cover it is a bit off for the insurance to put an age restriction on it) then you may alienate some clients and be prepared to lose them.

I have 5 kids, sometimes they come to places with me out of necessity. Me and my husband share the care of them so when he has the odd couple of days away through his consultancy work I only work weekends, late afternoon and evenings as I have no-one to look after my youngest.

There are no family members close by that are fit/able to help, nursery places do not do ad hoc care and to be quite honest, if you don't welcome my kids you don't welcome me. Luckily, my kids are well behaved so it's never an issue anywhere I've been to.

I can see all points here but as always you have to see both sides of the story. I can't abide rude or unruly kids personally and sometimes I have to tell parents not to bring kids into the room but that is because I'm going to be injecting their mum/dad etc. Definitely not safe for them or my client unless they are strapped into a car seat/buggy or sat quietly on a seat not moving.

Whatever works for you then that's good all round x

If you ever had to try and keep a womans head still when her kids are about, then people understand a "no kids" rule.
Hair salons have lots of sharp things around and women nowadays refuse to tell their children not to touch. Very few people discipline their children enough that they can sit still and wait quietly.We refuse to do people who bring kids without another adult to supervise them. Way too destructive and difficult.

While I'm on a rant, what is it with women that think during a haircut is a good time to breastfeed? They cannot position their heads correctly, and hair drops all over the baby.
The most STUPID thing I have to deal with. None of us care if you are trying to prove something, all we care about is getting the haircut done.

While I'm on a rant, what is it with women that think during a haircut is a good time to breastfeed? They cannot position their heads correctly, and hair drops all over the baby.
The most STUPID thing I have to deal with. None of us care if you are trying to prove something, all we care about is getting the haircut done.

While I agree feeding a baby, in any form, is inconvenient while performing a hair cut I think you are being incredibly rude and insensitive. Not all babies are predictable in when they will be hungry and it is not fair to the baby to make them go with out food for the stylists convenience. I think we (people in the industry) should suck it up and be glad we have a client in our chair that is taking good care of their child when there are so many children in the world that don't have someone to love and care for them.

I think it is great that your client has chosen to breast feed. I did with my daughter and I plan to with my son. That said, there is nothing wrong with a woman that can't or won't b/f. It is a person choice and every situation is different, if the mom isn't comfortable the baby won't be either.

Sorry if I was too blunt, it may be the hormones with my son due in 5 weeks.

If you ever had to try and keep a womans head still when her kids are about, then people understand a "no kids" rule.
Hair salons have lots of sharp things around and women nowadays refuse to tell their children not to touch. Very few people discipline their children enough that they can sit still and wait quietly.We refuse to do people who bring kids without another adult to supervise them. Way too destructive and difficult.

I too have sharp things but I am probably lucky in that if someone wants to bring their child/kid etc then they ask at the time of making the appointment. It is then that they are told that they can as long as they sit still on a chair and don't move due to the sharps boxes and needles that are in the clinic room. So luckily the only ones we eventually have in are good, well behaved ones. Their mum tends to read them their rights too before jumping on the treatment couch so I'm spoilt ha ha.

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have the situation that I do, as I said before I'm not a fan of naughty kids anyway, but I do have a friendly word with them too. Sometimes they ask questions being nosey and I will answer them but not whilst injecting.

Why don't the mums put the baby under the shawl that you put around them to stop the hair dropping all over the baby? Poor thing. I'm pro breast feeding but I very rarely did it in public, the odd time it happened was out of necessity as the baby was hungry and it was always done discretely. Trying to prove something :biggrin: :biggrin:you are funny Persianista lol
xx

I have to say if u owned the salon I worked in I would say no kids.

I have been kicked, hit numerous times.

I have had my phone taken out of my bag and had them call the police. ( they snuck in the staff room) also had my mirrors broken.

The worst was when a boy asked his mum for a drink then spat it out all over the salon floor. And then went to the toilet to wee all over the seat and Walls he was 8.

And all of these the mothers didn't say ANYTHING !!!

In regards of breast feeding I agree that you can't leave a baby hungry.
But I could imagine hairy milk doesn't taste that nice lol :).

Also it's so much stress for a stylist or therapist. When it's not needed x

While I agree feeding a baby, in any form, is inconvenient while performing a hair cut I think you are being incredibly rude and insensitive. Not all babies are predictable in when they will be hungry and it is not fair to the baby to make them go with out food for the stylists convenience. I think we (people in the industry) should suck it up and be glad we have a client in our chair that is taking good care of their child when there are so many children in the world that don't have someone to love and care for them.

I think it is great that your client has chosen to breast feed. I did with my daughter and I plan to with my son. That said, there is nothing wrong with a woman that can't or won't b/f. It is a person choice and every situation is different, if the mom isn't comfortable the baby won't be either.

Sorry if I was too blunt, it may be the hormones with my son due in 5 weeks.

I breastfed both of my children and YET I managed NOT do to it whilst getting a haircut.
HOW?? By 'scheduling' my appointments according to my daughter's sleep schedule.
She is NOT being rude.
it's simply a FACT. It's impossible to carry out some treatments whilst a woman is breastfeeding.
I think the moms need to 'suck it up' and take responsibility for their own choices without inflicting their choices upon others.

And this following comment isn't aimed at anyone in particular:
Any mom that claims she can't find childcare is full of **** and didn't look very hard. There is ALWAYS someone that knows someone that knows someone willing to babysit. check them out. Get references etc. There are always options.
WHY ON EARTH should a professional be responsible for YOUR family? You chose to give birth, NOT him/her.
Motherhood means that YOU give things up and that YOU are responsible.
NO ONE ELSE

Example:
Why is the shampoo girl chasing the toddler around the salon instead of rinsing the bleach out of the woman's hair? So, the woman with the bleach should be inconvenienced and get fried hair because YOU can't find child care? That's BS and utterly selfish on the part of the mother.
The tech should fall behind schedule and annoy her next client because you need to change a nappy? Thereby making less per hour because you are taking up more of her time than you should? How would you like to make less per hour?

I'm a MOTHER and I faced many challenges that a single mom does (not all, I'm not comparing, don't get me wrong) because at one time, my husband worked 7 days a week. AND YET I NEVER EVER expected everyone to 'cater' to my needs because "I" decided not to watch cable one night:rolleyes: and get pregnant. I lived in a town with no nearby friends or family and low and behold, asked around, talked to neighbors and guess what? I FOUND A BABYSITTER.

And frankly, if you can't afford a sitter whilst getting your services, then perhaps you shouldn't be getting them to begin with if the budget is that tight.

We're not talking about a 'handicap'. Professionals will go the extra mile to 'help' their clients . It's a no-brainer. I do little things all the time for clients that I don't have to do.
BUT SERIOUSLY... no one has the right to 'expect' us to put our insurance at risk, our wages at risk AND annoy other clients JUST for them.
THAT is rude and self absorbed.

I banned kids, I said I had no insurance to cover if an accident occured and no amount of money is worth your child loosing an eye, or being poisoned.
Never lost a single customer and had quiet a few tell me how nice it was to get away from them for a couple of hours:biggrin:

Doing a haircut on a breastfeeding woman is about as easy as doing a facial on her!

There are a breed of militant women who wake a baby to feed them during a haircut, then glare at you for asking them to put their head in position.

Sorry but I work to an appointment schedule. I personally don't care where people feed babies, but I do care about a wonky haircut, hair going everywhere, and being late for the next ten clients.

Latest posts

Back