Children - reasons or opinions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ssandk

Reaction score
Help...

I've been looking at some posts regarding children and as I'm not into nails etc I may be barking up the wrong tree.... I thought enhancement were like permanent false nails. But they seem to come with issues....

So..

...the problem I have is a 9 year old (tom boy'ish) who has been nervous at school and picking at her nails. They are like mine and quite soft and tear easily. So now they are getting to be too short for our liking. I'm worried she'll rip them so low she'll get infections or something.

What solutions do you guys have (besides manicures to improve her feelings towards nails) that could give a temporary measure until she grows out of the habit and/or they are long enough to really pretty up.

I bought a french manicure set for Xmas and painted the tips to make it look like she had nails but to be honest I can't even paint that on now they have got so bad. I just don't want her skin hardening and stopping the nails growing properly in the future.

HELP!!!

Also ..
I was going to reply to nail biting posts to say simply that she doesn't bite them just picks at them. But maybe I'll look at her thumb and middle finger to see if they aren't so bad as that's what she's probably using to rip them. If not maybe she IS starting the "rip" by using her teeth......and the nail biting stuff may help.

But then again she has to wear socks to bed as she rips her toenails too. (and yes I do keep them short)

Just seen Nailsheild dot co dot uk on a search...anyone seen these before?

But keep up with the advice please.
:rolleyes:

I think the best thing for a child that age would be to get some of the stuff which tastes disgusting to help her stop putting them in her mouth. Then promise her if she grows a bit of a free edge you'll treat her to a mini manicure at your local salon. Have a girls day out! It would be a good incentive for me so would probably work on a 9 yr old. hth xx

I would take her to a manicurist and get he/she to have a look at them. She is too young for enhancements (imo) so perhaps seeing pics of nasty infections and having a glossy polish and cream applyed might get her to look after them more.

I used to have horrible bitten nails but leaving them over the years has given me lovely strong nails with nice long nail beds,

x x x

I was just about to reply with the same thing 'claireamy' - I used to use this when I was little - think it was called 'StopGrow' - to stop me niting my nails I also used to just bite my little ones and not the restof my hand and thid together with the StopGrow worked

HTH's

My mum tried that stuff on my nails.. it was a bottle with clear solution that she used to paint on my nails and surrounding skin to stop me biting them... but it didn't work.. you just get immune to the taste, well I did, pretty quickly.

Perhaps you can offer her an incentive... like a bit more pocket money each week and a big treat every month if her nails are nice and neat... then you can take her to have them done nice at a salon?

Perhaps show her some of the nails in the gallery's - explain that one day she could have pretty nails like this!

Good luck xx

I was just about to reply with the same thing 'claireamy' - I used to use this when I was little - think it was called 'StopGrow' - to stop me niting my nails I also used to just bite my little ones and not the restof my hand and thid together with the StopGrow worked

HTH's

Have to say I was a serial nail bitter when I was younger, had very little nail, even on the nail bed, used to bleed really bad & tears don't get me started. Didn't stop till in my teens. It was a nervous thing & until I sorted that nothing would stop me!! NOT EVEN THAT HORRID NAIL VARNISH!! Actually got used to the taste of it in the end! If she wants to do it she still will, from my experience like I said I find its a nervous thing & until you sort that nothing will really help as its something she'll fall back on!! HTH:):hug: Having regular manicures might help as it will show her how her nails could look if she keep it up & at the age she's at the risks of permanent damage are minimal plus my finger's got so sore so also explain that buy trying to stop she'll avoid this.

My nails are ok now a little weak but look in good condition finally, but it wasn't until someone commented on them when I got older & although in better shape, they still looked like stumps, that I knew I had to do something. I was so embarrassed even though the comment was how clean they looked although short!! Couldn't be without my nails now, lol!!! Just wish I had done something sooner as would have stopped all that pain I went through with them!!!

Also bitting your nails can chip your teeth over time so another good reason not to bite them!!! :)

As said above maybe you could suggest a compromise/incentive to help her stop!!! Explain it might be hard to stop at first but once she's done it she'll have nice nails to show off, even if she is a tom boy!! :)

Hi

I am sorry your daughter seems to be having a rough time at the moment.:hug:

A lot of the replies have been to paint an anti biting solution onto your daughter's nails but as you said, you don't think she is biting them.

In my opinion, she has probably formed a habit by picking at her nails, and doesn't even realise she is doing it. I think ultimately the nail picking is a reaction to an underlying problem which needs to be sorted out.

In the mean time, I would recommend a good cuticle oil (for example solar oil) to keep the nails and surrounding skin supple and moisturised. Try painting her nails in a bolder colour and perhaps adding some nail art stickers. I realise this may be a problem if she is at school, but even if you do it every evening and taking it off before school the next day, may help. Always remember to use a base coat though.

I hope these pointers help you and your daughter a little.

Latest posts

Back