Chin wax...what went wrong?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edenic

Reaction score
Hi Geeks!
I've had a client complaint that looks as if it will result in an insurance claim and would welcome your advice :). As a hair geek but owner of a beauty salon I can only go on what my therapists tell me is right and what i read on here (from which i have learnt LOADS!)
The client had her lip and chin waxed Thursday and returned Friday with quite a bad "burn" under her chin. I questioned what had happened and gave her some Aloe Vera gel to use. She asked if she would be ok to put foundation on as she was going out the following night and I said no. I've spoken to my therapist who confirmed that she tested the wax on both herself and the client, checked with her that the wax felt comfortable and all was ok. She even applied Dermalogica Barrier Repair afterwards as the client said she had a previous minor reaction to waxing (hence also being very careful to check wax temp). The client had confirmed this when i spoke to her.
Today i have had a phone call from her son-in-law saying that she has been to hospital and they have said it is a 1st degree burn and that I was wrong to treat with Aloe Vera and should have given her Vaseline (Hello...petroleum jelly...I DON'T THINK SO!). He asked that i give her a courtesy call to discuss as they "would rather not take the legal route". I did this and apologised profusely as I could see that she had a reaction and suffered discomfort (she said she hadn't slept since, was in discomfort and was embarrassed), i also said that i felt my therapist had done everything she could to make sure the wax was ok, done everything correctly and it was unfortunate that she had a reaction.
I offered her a refund, a sensitive skin care kit and a treatment such as a facial to make up for it. I explained that as a small business I couldn't offer more than that. She wanted to discuss with her daughter and son in law. I was going to wait to hear back from her but when i considered that somehow something HAD gone wrong and I had seen the mark on her face I offered her £100 as compensation as this is what my insurance excess would be.

Anyhow, i'm waffling now...SORRY!.....can any of you shed any light as to what went wrong? Could it be a friction burn? I know the wax wasn't too hot! I asked if she had any dry skin or was chapped or anything and she said not. She's implying that the wax was too hot despite being asked and saying it was fine! I don't want this to happen again, this particular therapist does seem to be our "expert" when it comes to hair removal :/

Many thanks for at least reading this epic volume...and thanks for any help/advice

Jacqui
x x

Was the client patch tested for allergic reaction? Did the therapist check the temp, wax lip then chin? If so did the therapist leave the pot on a high temp where the wax heated up to a higher temp? These could be indications of what might have happened. Hopefully the client is ok x

The wax could have been too cool or the skin may not have been supported enough. There are various things that could have gone wrong but she may just have very sensitive skin.

Too late now but you should have contacted your insurance company and asked their advice as to what to do, you may have done more damage by offering anything.

I would contact your insurance company in the morning and take their advice.

First degree burn sounds a bit dramatic so be careful of what you are accepting from them too. The other members of the family may have too much to say here so, as I said, go through your insurers, that is what they are there for my darling.

Good luck xxx

If your therapists did everything right…….it could be that your client was on meds or her skin is thin from age.

Sounds as though she's after a claim. I think it's right to apologise by way of a gift of some kind but check with your insurers. Trouble is that they will probably tell you to not admit liability. You need to do the right thing though and if it were me, I'd have a friendly chat on the phone and apologise profusely and make her welcome with no bad feeling.

If she doesn't accept your offer, then don't give her anything and let her take it further. If you didn't do anything wrong and she knew that she'd had a reaction before, she won't stand much chance.

Do not admit any liability.

By offering the £100, you are admitting liabilty.

Always refer to your insurance, that is what you pay the premiums for, let them advise and deal with this.

Definitely contact your insurers and they will deal with everything for you, that is what you pay your insurance for.
It is a bit late now but if anything like this ever happens again then contact your insurance company straight away and do not offer them anything, not even a refund as this is seen as admitting fault. I know people want to automatically give the client something to appease the situation and in some cases this works but in this case it seems that they are looking for a claim so ring your insurers first thing. If they contact you again then you will need to refer them to your insurers and not have contact with them at all.
Everything possible was done and as long as it's all documented then you will be fine so try not to worry too much.

Seems we were all replying at the same time!

thanks guys, just reading your reply's is reassuring in an "I'm not alone" kinda way :)

The offers i've made have been "gestures of goodwill" and I've stated all along that I felt my therapist was in no way to blame so I've not admitted liability. They have said they've taken photo's and I did see that there was a red mark that looked like a burn so I can't deny that something happened.

This customer is a regular so we've waxed her plenty of times but as she had a small reaction some months ago she now see's it as "we've burnt her twice" :/

The therapist waxed her lip first then moved on to her chin area. She does have quite a "groove" (is there a technical term?!) under her chin so i'm beginning to think it was a lack of traction.

I'll call my insurance company as soon as I can, I'm fully booked 9-6 tomorrow.

thanks again
x x

If it was an allergic reaction surely the client would have a rash on her lip too. My guess this lady may have given herself an infection covering her chin in make up and is blaming your salon. Your insurance company should give you a good idea of where you stand anyway.

was a consultation done before the treamtment this way all checks would have been made before treatments and consent was given..these written consultations i always think ar back ups as otherwise it just looks word over word.it could be the clients fault etc or the employee with incorrect technique but if your therapist ensures every thing was checked and preformed as normal then i wouldnt be offering her anything either.clients are just toooooo quick all the time to blame and fault others.

Medical hat on - first degree burn from wax on her chin that didn't burn her lip - VERY UNLIKELY

Aloe vera was totally the right treatment of choice as it would cool the skin. Vaseline would do exactly the opposite and would make the burn worse.

I know you have clients in all day but you need to try and palm one of them off on someone or move one to tomorrow. You MUST speak to your insurers as a matter of urgency, if this woman and family have this approach, they may already be starting to badmouth your business. Damage limitation is key here.

For future, NEVER admit liability, say I am very sorry to hear that, get them in to see you, or go to see them and promise you will revert to them as soon as you have done a full and thorough investigation. Let me ask you this, if you went somewhere for a wax on your face and you were burnt - would you go back? I know I wouldn't. I'm smelling a large rodent here!

Keep strong!

Aloe vera was totally the right treatment of choice as it would cool the skin. Vaseline would do exactly the opposite and would make the burn worse.

Something doesn't sound right. If they had sought medical advice and were told Vaseline should have been used when clearly it shouldn't, makes you wonder if they really have and if the burns are infact 1st degree.

Hope things sort themselves out for you huni

H xx

In a photograph a burn can look just the same as a graze on the skin and visa versa. They should have a report from the hospital stating that it is a burn.

You really must find time to contact your insurance company today my darling. :|

Hi Geeks!
I've had a client complaint that looks as if it will result in an insurance claim and would welcome your advice :). As a hair geek but owner of a beauty salon I can only go on what my therapists tell me is right and what i read on here (from which i have learnt LOADS!)
The client had her lip and chin waxed Thursday and returned Friday with quite a bad "burn" under her chin. I questioned what had happened and gave her some Aloe Vera gel to use. She asked if she would be ok to put foundation on as she was going out the following night and I said no. I've spoken to my therapist who confirmed that she tested the wax on both herself and the client, checked with her that the wax felt comfortable and all was ok. She even applied Dermalogica Barrier Repair afterwards as the client said she had a previous minor reaction to waxing (hence also being very careful to check wax temp). The client had confirmed this when i spoke to her.
Today i have had a phone call from her son-in-law saying that she has been to hospital and they have said it is a 1st degree burn and that I was wrong to treat with Aloe Vera and should have given her Vaseline (Hello...petroleum jelly...I DON'T THINK SO!). He asked that i give her a courtesy call to discuss as they "would rather not take the legal route". I did this and apologised profusely as I could see that she had a reaction and suffered discomfort (she said she hadn't slept since, was in discomfort and was embarrassed), i also said that i felt my therapist had done everything she could to make sure the wax was ok, done everything correctly and it was unfortunate that she had a reaction.
I offered her a refund, a sensitive skin care kit and a treatment such as a facial to make up for it. I explained that as a small business I couldn't offer more than that. She wanted to discuss with her daughter and son in law. I was going to wait to hear back from her but when i considered that somehow something HAD gone wrong and I had seen the mark on her face I offered her £100 as compensation as this is what my insurance excess would be.

Anyhow, i'm waffling now...SORRY!.....can any of you shed any light as to what went wrong? Could it be a friction burn? I know the wax wasn't too hot! I asked if she had any dry skin or was chapped or anything and she said not. She's implying that the wax was too hot despite being asked and saying it was fine! I don't want this to happen again, this particular therapist does seem to be our "expert" when it comes to hair removal :/

Many thanks for at least reading this epic volume...and thanks for any help/advice

Jacqui
x x

Sounds to me like they are just looking for some money/freebies. A hospital telling her to put Vaseline on a burn??? I don't think so!!. Just make sure you contact your insurance ASAP to find out how you should proceed with this.

Also like another poster said, if she has a "burn" on her chin why didn't she get one on her lip?? Wax can't heat up that much in 2seconds it takes to do an upper lip

apologies now because i haven't read every reply but have you actually seen the so called "1st degree burn"? i wouldn't of done anything without seeing it myself. you have acted totally professional by the sounds of things and i'm guessing shes after freebies! hate clients sometimes, they totally try it on!

I have actually done this to myself under my chin, because it was "just me" I rushed cause I was doing a million things at once!!! I just pulled the strip and didnt hold the skin taut. It sounds like the family are egging her on. A hospital would not advise vaseline as a treatment for burns as it seals in bacteria. My facial skin is really sensitive so I am really careful now and wax in very small areas at a time. Good luck hope it works out for you xx

Try not to worry too much, your therapist may have gone over that particular area more than once which sometimes causes reactions.. Especially if there are more stubborn hairs on that area.

Thing is, for All you know that client could have scratched it to irritate it, or put makeup on it..anything! That's why it is hard with waxing. As long as you know your therapist did everything properly you have nothing to worry about :)

thanks for your support everyone. I have faith in my therapist and think the only thing she could possibly have done wrong was not stretch the skin enough and if thats the case then I know she'll be more careful in future...she's very conscientious :).

Unfortunately i had staff off sick today so was working alone for half the day and didn't get chance to ring my insurers. Luckily the customer didn't ring back today and I should be able to call them tomorrow. I know that they will just pay out at the end of the day though, its our word against the customers and she does have photo's of an injury that she didn't have prior to being waxed, i doubt they'll look into the why's and wherefore's :-/

I'll keep you all updated :)

x x

A hospital would not advise vaseline as a treatment for burns as it seals in bacteria.

Vaseline would actually encourage the skin to continue burning which is why it is TOTALLY contraindicated in the treatment of burns.

I've read intensely the replies you've had to this thread and I truly believe your therapist was completely correct and professional - the key was that the lady had a minor reaction previously (perhaps from another salon) through past experience of clients who have came to me from being "burned" by another salon it weakens the skins structure of the epidermis and can make the same occurance happen again through no fault of your own therapist... :( I sincerely hope this may be of help and perhaps the lady may just be wanting a claim as previous threads have suggested but rest assured it sounds like your therapist did everything by the book! Wishing you well, Jules

Latest posts

Back