Chinchillas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna-louise

Reaction score
Hi everyone
We have just bought a chinchilla after weeks of reading up on them and was wondering if any of you geeks/geeklettes have one. The reason I am asking is the kids want to let her out but I think it is far too early as we only brought her home 2 hours ago. How long after you brought yours home did you let them out?. By the way she is beautiful and the boys have called her Sasky (don`t know where that name came from)
Thanks for any advice
Donna

A friend of mine had a gorgeous Chinchilla. She kept it out of its cage too. Trouble was it ate away most of her wooden staircase during its lifetime :suprised: She quickly moved before the new owners found out it was a death trap....! Recommend keeping it in its cage. Good luck with yours.

Thankyou for that but it is recommended to let them out for an hour a day/night and I do believe they chew everything in sight and lots of toys are advixed for this so it cost us a small fortune today on toys alone never mind cage, chinchilla, food etc. Thanks for the luck also as I think I will need it what with 3 boys argueing over who can look at her and my dog having a good sniff around the cage after typing this i am now thinking i could do with a bit more than luck.

Donna

Thankyou Lesley

I have already got this bookmarked but do appreciate your time, I have spent weeks reading up on them and asking questions at the pet stores, did`nt want to just go ahead and buy one not knowing much about them

Again thankyou
Donna

Hi Donna,

We had a fantastic one which we called Barney . he was my daughters pet and he was let out everyday for most of the time she was in her room . Words of advice : Make SURE that b4 u let him out the door to the room is closed . They are VERY quick animals and are a beggar to catch if they don't want to be .Sometimes it would take us about 30mins b4 we could get him back in . Put away anything with an electrical wire !!!!!!!. During his lifetime (he lived to about 9 ) we had to rewire the bedroom lamps twice and buy her a new electric blanket.

Can't tell you what a joy he was . he used to love being out of his cage and became very tame with lots of handling . He loved being stroked and cuddled. Be careful when handling him at first as they have very sharp teeth .

We found it best when first letting him out of the cage to let him find his own way around . If you have young children don't let them try and chase it ect . Just let him out of the cage (well open the door and let him come out in his own time ) and then sit in the middle of the room on the floor don't make any sudden movements and speak quietly . Let him get used to you and treat him gently.

I don't belive it is fair to keep ANY animal or bird caged for thier lifetime so please do let him out each day . Leave him in his cage for maybe a day or so when you first get him for him to get used o the smells and noises . remenber that they are nocturnal animals so they spend a lot of time during the day sleeping .Don't forget to provide him with a dustbath . They love this and it helps keep their coat lovely and shiney. Be warned though that it does make a mess so have lots pf paper on the floor round it or be prepared to hoover every day .

Sorry gone on a bit but he reallly was a fantastic pet . may yours give you just as much pleasure .

Karen
Light Elegance UK

Our rabbits used to be house rabbits but they grazed the carpet under the sofa till it was quite bare. You can cover essential electrical equipment wires with cable tidy tube from IKEA. Good luck with your pet.

marijane

i had a chinchilla once, he was called Gizmo!

Dear Donna

My family owns and runs a wildlife park - Shepreth Wildife Park, Shepreth, Herts where the Scratch editorial office is based.

We have 3 chinchillas and have had chinchillas since the park started in 1979 when I was a kid.

My sister Bex , who also writes for Scratch one-day a week, is the animal manager, I will find out for you what you need to know!

If you have any questions feel free to email me direct on
[email protected] or call me 01763 261 091

Alexxxxxxxxxx

www.sheprethwildlifepark.co.uk :green:

Latest posts

Back