Chipping polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SILVERSEQUIN

Reaction score
Can any of you nail experts shed any light on chipping polish?

I prepare nail plate well and base coat and two good coats of polish ( orly and opi ). usually put hardener or quick dry and then top coat/ gloss.
Also bring the color down over free edge too.

however within 2 days i have chipped edges. beginning to get me down.......there MUST be some fantastic product that does the trick
Need to get this mastered quickly ( bit out of practice) as will be mobile in next month or so

Maybe i just clean too much and should do less!!

any advice greatly appreciated

thanks

It could be a number of things:

The quality of your natural nails - if they are in poor condition then the varnish will not last as long.

If your hands are in and out of water lots of times then this could cause the chipping too.

Try applying oil to your nails twice a day and see if this helps as it helps the varnish to stay flexible and not dry out and crack.

When you say hardener - what is this? most people think of hardener as a treatment base coat. If this is what you are using then it could be making your varnish brittle.

I use IBD's Intense Seal over my polishes and I can EASILY go 2 weeks without the polish chipping.

Just my opinion...

Can any of you nail experts shed any light on chipping polish?

I prepare nail plate well and base coat and two good coats of polish ( orly and opi ). usually put hardener or quick dry and then top coat/ gloss.
Also bring the color down over free edge too.

however within 2 days i have chipped edges. beginning to get me down.......there MUST be some fantastic product that does the trick
Need to get this mastered quickly ( bit out of practice) as will be mobile in next month or so

Maybe i just clean too much and should do less!!

any advice greatly appreciated

thanks

What products do u use?
Try this and let me know..
base coat
2 coats of your colour
allow to toch dry slightly
apply almond oil aka cuticle oil an straight away apply top coat
dont apply cuticle oil to all fingers thn top coat do it 1 finger at a time

What products do u use?
Try this and let me know..
base coat
2 coats of your colour
allow to toch dry slightly
apply almond oil aka cuticle oil an straight away apply top coat
dont apply cuticle oil to all fingers thn top coat do it 1 finger at a time

Why would you put cuticle oil on before the top coat?

Silver:- How are you preparing the nails?

Just wondered how your preparing the nail plate?.. i would file, cuticles then remove natural shine with a white block then dehydrate nail plate base coat, 2 colour coats, then top coat...and finish with oil once touch dry...

thanks for all your tips;
I prepare nail by filing and shape and then dehydrate nail plate, base coats, 2 coats colour bringing down over free edge, then top coat (says hardender but is top coat-quick dry) and then wet look gloss. Maybe too much?

My own nails have lasted 2 days and just look worn at free edge and colour coming away.Day 3 more chipping but this is prob due to washing.
Dont do oil-is it really necessary?

Roseblanc-what is IBD? pardon my ignorance

thanks for all your tips;
I prepare nail by filing and shape and then dehydrate nail plate, base coats, 2 coats colour bringing down over free edge, then top coat (says hardender but is top coat-quick dry) and then wet look gloss. Maybe too much?

My own nails have lasted 2 days and just look worn at free edge and colour coming away.Day 3 more chipping but this is prob due to washing.
Dont do oil-is it really necessary?

Roseblanc-what is IBD? pardon my ignorance

Do you remove the cuticle from the surface of the nail plate and remove surface shine before you dehydrate? Shine should be removed with a 240 grit file (no harsher).

Latest posts

Back