Chopped and screwed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chickafish

Reaction score
The shop employee down my street approached me today whilst I was picking up a few things to show me her nails and asked if there's anything I can do to help her. She had an enhancement on (unable to tell me which), and has confessed to being a picker. She said that if she sees lifting she will gnaw and chew at them til they pop off, and this is what she's done. The state her nails are in are a bit worrying. It looks like whatever she had one, she has picked off along with majority of her nail plate. They're VERY choppy, thin, bendy, and sensitive to the touch. She flinched when I touched them. I'm not sure if I should put a set of acrylic on her like she wants. Because they're so sensitive and weak, would putting anything on them be wise or a waste of time?

I would recommend her to come in for a few manicures, use a nail strengthen on them, and you will do it when they are stronger. X

I'd recommend a manicure , and use OPI nail envy and solar oil. Two products there you can retail to her. And to just solar oil and opi nail envy daily x

A long as they're not infected, she has no open wounds etc then yes go ahead and put your chosen enhancements over them, this will give her nails some protection till the damage grows out.
I would also advise her to keep them short, to use solar oil at least 3 times a day and to have regular re-balance appointments. They will be fine if she follows the correct aftercare advise. Hth:biggrin:

The problem is that if you put another enhancement on her nails what is she going to do to them? Chew and pick? Then yet more damage to her nails.

The problem is that if you put another enhancement on her nails what is she going to do to them? Chew and pick? Then yet more damage to her nails.

Thinking the same thing. It wouldn't hurt to do it because it will ease her pain, but will she do the same thing again? Does she pick and chew when she isn't wearing enhancements? Some will not stop doing the nasty habit, no matter what.

Thinking the same thing. It wouldn't hurt to do it because it will ease her pain, but will she do the same thing again? Does she pick and chew when she isn't wearing enhancements? Some will not stop doing the nasty habit, no matter what.

If she wants them done then I would do them. We are not our clients keepers and if she is stupid enough to pick then that is her look out. Keep you CRC filled in and document that you have warned her of the consequences if she picks them off again.

Be warned though that enhancements often lift on nails that are weakened if they are not built correctly. Youcertainly would not guarantee your work on nails like hers.

If she's going to pick and chew her enhancements, she's going to pick and chew her natural nails as well. At least with a good nail professional such as yourself, she stands a chance of her nails returning to good health.

I'd give her the enhancements she desires and try to insist that she comes faithfully every two weeks for rebalance. That way you can assess and maybe guilt her into stopping her chewing/picking habit. Also get her started on Solar Oil and Cuticle Eraser daily.

With a good nail pro like you, she may just stand a chance.

Ah thanks everyone for your input. I went back awhile ago to take another look cuz she wanted to purchase solar oil to use in the meantime. Because the thinness is causing some discomfort, but there's no open wounds or any yuckies, I'm gonna give her a set of acrylic like she wants. Hopefully she won't gnaw at them. I've already discussed with her the type of damage she'll be looking at if she attempts to pry these off and that there is a chance for lifting because of their current state, and noted everything. Fingers crossed she does what she's told! Biting... Yeesh!

Latest posts

Back