Claim back all your Bank Charges!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep - even if you no longer bank with them hun, pretty sure you can still make them pay up! xx

what about banks that you no longer bank with ????...we closed our account with LLoyds about a year ago but they had shed loads of charges out of us...

I have the same prob. It was over 4 years ago and has been againt my credit score ever since.. but there is peeps on that forum that have sent a letter to the bank claiming charges from 2000 that they no longer bank with so yeah I dont see why not.
:green:

I became a bankrupt because of my bank, what a mad world we live in:cry:

Yep - even if you no longer bank with them hun, pretty sure you can still make them pay up! xx

somehow don't see how i will be able too...as we did an IVA against Lloyd's (and other credit companies) and 50k was written off...dont think they would give us charges back also....lol...:lol: might be a tad cheeky.

Great thread though babes...sure hope you guys get back whats yours. xx

somehow don't see how i will be able too...as we did an IVA against Lloyd's (and other credit companies) and 50k was written off...dont think they would give us charges back also....lol...:lol: might be a tad cheeky.

Great thread though babes...sure hope you guys get back whats yours. xx
I'll look into it a bit for you if you like - its unlikely I think because of the IVA but the charges they put on your account were still not lawful charges so its possible I guess! x

I'll look into it a bit for you if you like - its unlikely I think because of the IVA but the charges they put on your account were still not lawful charges so its possible I guess! x

thanks chick xx:hug:

I saw this on AOL and was chuffed to bits about it. As you guys have said, they get you when you have no money... Thanks Kate, good thread.

Fantastic thanks

I saw this on AOL and was chuffed to bits about it. As you guys have said, they get you when you have no money... Thanks Kate, good thread.

Yeah I remember when I first saw it on GMTV I couldn't believe it - about time we got pay back for all those times the banks have caused us stress! If any of you get anywhere with this would be nice to hear your success stories - and vice versa if there are any that don't get their money back would be good to hear those stories too. xx

My partner and I are in the process of claiming at the moment...it goes back 6 years, and as i was at uni 3 years ago, things were very tight and other half started up as self employed 3 years ago, so that was a bit pickled too. Between us , we are claiming over £2000, so that would be quite useful b4 xmas.

We have sent the final request for payment a week ago, so should hopefully hear soon.

The in-laws have just got a payout for £1400. They had to go to court against Halifax, but it is dead easy, and the case was fought on-line (through Nottingham county courts, even though we live in Bristol - random???) , so they didnt even have to go. The Halifax paid them the full amount and the court charges, but are refusing to accept that they are in the wrong!!

The only thing is, the banks can close your account or make things difficult for you (mine think it is great fun to move the dates of existing standing orders - only since i've put in the claim), so get another bank account open ready!!

Good luck and happy claiming!!!

Mxx

My partner and I are in the process of claiming at the moment...it goes back 6 years, and as i was at uni 3 years ago, things were very tight and other half started up as self employed 3 years ago, so that was a bit pickled too. Between us , we are claiming over £2000, so that would be quite useful b4 xmas.

We have sent the final request for payment a week ago, so should hopefully hear soon.

The in-laws have just got a payout for £1400. They had to go to court against Halifax, but it is dead easy, and the case was fought on-line (through Nottingham county courts, even though we live in Bristol - random???) , so they didnt even have to go. The Halifax paid them the full amount and the court charges, but are refusing to accept that they are in the wrong!!

The only thing is, the banks can close your account or make things difficult for you (mine think it is great fun to move the dates of existing standing orders - only since i've put in the claim), so get another bank account open ready!!

Good luck and happy claiming!!!

Mxx

Thats fab hun - good luck with it. Great about your in-laws - funny tht they py out nd refuse to accept they are worng isn't it! - if they thought they were right they wouldn't pay out so easily - most cases don't even get quite as far as court from what I've heard and read!

Yes, you're right too - they may tell you politely to go away and find another bank so do open another one ready for if they do. Also, if they don't tell you to leave they may get you to sign something to say you won't do this again! Isn't it nice that the consumer is getting something back for a change! Banks really annoy me so this is fab! How these days can a cheque take 3/4 days to clear when its all automated - the reason is they like to keep it for those for days to earn interest on our money! - and if you added up all the cheques that pass through the banks and how much interest they earn on them its a hell of a lot! It could if they wanted it to be cleared the same day! xx

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:rolleyes:

I had a problem with the bank, nat west, I had a £100 overdraft , and one month i didnt pay it off cos I moved jobs, I was only £20 into it but they cancelled the overdraft facility on me without warning ... becaus ethe next month I didnt clear it eaither as I had to work a month in leu etc...
and then started charging me every month for UN_AUTHORISED overdraft facility plus £25 for every letter.
I kept disputing it and then moved house. The last I heard from that bank is that they were looking into the charges etc.. never heard anything again so I presumed they had written it off etc..

Until I recently requested a credit report to see why my credit was being afffected and they have put a black mark against my name, saying I had not satisfied the dispute for £375!!!!!

so from a 20 quid it went all the way up to 375 with their charges etc..

Have I got a case to sue them?
or is it to late? this was over 4 years ago now..
appartently it will get written off in 2 years by law but still, I have this black mark for another 2 years, unless I cough up, which as you can imagine, I dont wanna do!
Blimmin Banks!!:irked:

A couple of years back the Abbey National kept charging me continuously until I ended up owing 2k in charges!!! They drove me mad and I was in between moving back and forth to London and in between jobs.... ok a couple of times I used my guarantee card before my wages had cleared but not to that exent. I then got straight and wanted to clear it up and I also had bad credit.... I don't know whether I still owe them as I got married and my name changed but I will look into it and the HSBC are sharks too!

I'm onto this, in fact I have an appointment this morning to open a new bank account as I've had it with Nat West
icon_evil.gif
. They are the worst bank I've ever dealt with!

I had 3 direct debits due to go out on a date which fell on a Sunday, so they took them on the Friday, they amounted to £27 in total. Funds were running low this particular month and I hadn't managed to get to the bank to credit the account, as I don't use this as my main account, so I rang the bank the day before and said I couldn't get there until the afternoon to put money in, they said it was Ok and I wouldn't be charged!!........Anyway the DD's were unpaid and they slapped on charges of £114 in total. I complained, ranted and raved, gave them ref nos. of telephone calls etc and they refunded the charges eventually.

My mother gave me the info a few weeks ago about Martin Lewis' website as she knows over the years I've had lots of charges, so my plan is in motion.

The problem is I don't have records for 6 years only one?? but just know I've had lots of charges.

I'm onto this, in fact I have an appointment this morning to open a new bank account as I've had it with Nat West
icon_evil.gif
. They are the worst bank I've ever dealt with!

I had 3 direct debits due to go out on a date which fell on a Sunday, so they took them on the Friday, they amounted to £27 in total. Funds were running low this particular month and I hadn't managed to get to the bank to credit the account, as I don't use this as my main account, so I rang the bank the day before and said I couldn't get there until the afternoon to put money in, they said it was Ok and I wouldn't be charged!!........Anyway the DD's were unpaid and they slapped on charges of £114 in total. I complained, ranted and raved, gave them ref nos. of telephone calls etc and they refunded the charges eventually.

My mother gave me the info a few weeks ago about Martin Lewis' website as she knows over the years I've had lots of charges, so my plan is in motion.

The problem is I don't have records for 6 years only one?? but just know I've had lots of charges.

I am wondering whether it would be OK to give approximates.. then they can work it out :lol:

I just looked and I have been charged just short of £240 since August (my own fault by not managing my account.. but who has time????)

No, you need to do it properly - you have to first send them a letter asking them to detail your charges over the last six years. If you just guess it I can't see it going anywhere as they'll know you haven't got the facts right from the start. xx

So would you advise not to claim against the company you currently bank with ?

Thanks x

So would you advise not to claim against the company you currently bank with ?

Thanks x

I would advise to open a new bank account somewhere else just in case they ask you to leave - personally I'm sick of my bank anyway so this isn't a big deal and its so easy to change accounts these days the new bank pretty much does everything for you. xx

Thanks hun ,the site is very helpfull x

Got a massive pile of envelopes from the bank through - 6 years worth of staetments, going to be fun going through them all (not!) but it'll be well worth it if I get the money back! Anyone else who's doing this let me know how you are getting on etc. xx

Latest posts

Back