Claim back all your Bank Charges!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kateyork1

CND Grand Master Geek!!!
Reaction score
Don't know how many of you watch GMTV but there's a money expert on there called Martin Lewis and he has over the last couple of months been explaining how you can get back all bank charges incurred over the last 6 years! I for one have had lots over this time! Basically cannot lawfully charge the amount they do - somehow they get away with it but you can take them to court (although it rarely gets that far before they pay out - usually more than they owe you plus interest of course!). You do have to go the right way about it for it to work correctly but if you check out Martin Lewis's website and a couple of others that i'll list for you it explains step by step how to get you money back.

Reclaim unfair bank charges: don’t let them keep your cash! | MoneySavingExpert.com, - Martin Lewis's website
The Consumer Action Group & Bank Action Group - Fighting unlawful practices and bank charges. - very helpful
Home - also very helpful

You can even get template letters from these sites so you don't even have to worry how to word your letters to your bank!

Hope this is of help to some of you.

oooh thanks for that hun, will show jim when he gets in x

Nice one shelley - also if you look on the first website it has a forum and one of the threads is only for posting success and failure stories - worth having a read, been going through and haven't as yet found any failures (will be some somewhere I reckon). xx

I had a problem with the bank, nat west, I had a £100 overdraft , and one month i didnt pay it off cos I moved jobs, I was only £20 into it but they cancelled the overdraft facility on me without warning ... becaus ethe next month I didnt clear it eaither as I had to work a month in leu etc...
and then started charging me every month for UN_AUTHORISED overdraft facility plus £25 for every letter.
I kept disputing it and then moved house. The last I heard from that bank is that they were looking into the charges etc.. never heard anything again so I presumed they had written it off etc..

Until I recently requested a credit report to see why my credit was being afffected and they have put a black mark against my name, saying I had not satisfied the dispute for £375!!!!!

so from a 20 quid it went all the way up to 375 with their charges etc..

Have I got a case to sue them?
or is it to late? this was over 4 years ago now..
appartently it will get written off in 2 years by law but still, I have this black mark for another 2 years, unless I cough up, which as you can imagine, I dont wanna do!
Blimmin Banks!!:irked:

I'm doing it I went through a tight 4 months at the beginnign of the year and my bank charged 38.00 to not let a 22.00 debit go out even though I had a bacs for 1500.00 coming in the very next day. The tough time I went through was made much worse by the fact that they levied this money every single time and they wouldn't refund any of it even when I rang up and explained that I was just getting behind because of it. I'll show them!!

They really are a pain in the arse! - I went through a bit of a difficult patch a couple of years ago and approached the bank for help but they refused. THen as soon as a large amount of money went into my acount (insurance payout) they were on the phone offering me everything! - Banks are the people who offer you an umbrella when its not raining and as soon as it rains they take it away again - so its pay back time (literally!) Yeah I reckon you've got a case there hun - go for it. At least have a read of the other websites and see hwat you think, you've got nothing to lose. xx

I've got the letter off the site, I have just been thinking how much I have been charged that I can remember about. If its 10 times in 6 years and I know its probably more the bank can pay for my creative course. Oooh thats cheered me up no end!!

I know they aren't running a charity but they do take the mick charging more than the amount they wouldn't let out.:)

Ah bless ya - I hope you do get enough back to pay for your course, how cool would that be! Now get it posted chick. xx

I will thanks for posting this, I had seen it before but didn't know where to start. Top thread:hug:

Martin lewis was on Radio 2 a few weeks ago and was explaining how to get your money back.

I will be putting together a letter myself, hey what have I got to lose!

If you are going to do it hun its better to use one of the templates from any one of those sites they are worded exactly right - and all you have to do is save them to Word (or whatever you use) and add in your details. Good luck!

Gawd all these banks are gonna be bombarded lately and they are going to think what the hell has happened!! haha, love it!

What goes around, comes around!! :twisted:

I have had a look on the site that they direct you to, all the letters are there and it tells you what order to send them in too. I'd have a look there first before drafting one out, these 2 guys seem to know the system!!

Please help me someone, I cannot find the template letters.

Thanks in advance. :o

this is very interesting
i set up a account a while ago ,and forgot to put money in to cover direct debits of £19.99
i ended up owing the bank over £300 ,for charges ..go's up every month i havent cleared it all
i am paying it back at £5 a week ,which they now tell me isnt enough ..i tried explaining ..i cant give them money ,i havent phsyically got ...and they wernt interested ..and told me i now have no credit rating whatsoever ..blah blah blah

Thanks. do I have to register to see them??
sorry I must be having a fake blonde moment! :o LOL

You do yeah but it takes about 2 seconds - you don't need to enter much information basically just make up a username and password. xx

If anyone has any problems gettin the letters I can email them to you if you like. xx

what about banks that you no longer bank with ????...we closed our account with LLoyds about a year ago but they had shed loads of charges out of us...

Latest posts

Back