Clean scalp clean mind

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shahildar

Reaction score
Hey everyone

I wondered if anyone had any clues as to any products that effectively clean the scalp / like deep clean to the folicles.

Ive been told that build up of hydrogen peroxide (from dyes etc) prevents hair from generating colour correctly.. I.e greys begin.

Therefore I want to find a product or a natural method that would help clean or promote catalase production?

Thank you :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 on Superfast 4G on EE. Using the Salon Geek App for Android.

I would also like to know everyones secrets to silky shiny hair .. ive got long and really thick hair would love it to know your tips and tricks...

I saw khloe kardashian uses coconut oil .. im not sure where to even buy this in my area!

X

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 on Superfast 4G on EE. Using the Salon Geek App for Android.

Ive been told that build up of hydrogen peroxide (from dyes etc) prevents hair from generating colour correctly.. I.e greys begin.

Old wives tale. The hair colour is determined by your genetic make-up and not affected by external chemicals applied to the scalp. Grey hair is hair with fewer colour molecules and any predisposition to grey is determined mainly by genetics. It is thought that extreme trauma can also have a negative impact on your hair growth cycle.

There is truth in the hydrogen peroxide build up, but it doesn't come from using colouring products.

Your cells produce small ammounts of hydrogen peroxide but as you become older and produce less catalase (enzyme that breaks down hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen) and the build up causes damage to the hair follicle and preventing melanin production.

There are suppliments that claim to replace the catalase, but it's not known how effective they actually are. It might help to get enough of the minerals that your body uses to produce catalase in your diet, zinc is one I can't remember the other.
This is all relativly new research and there are lots of articles online about this.

As for coconut oil, go for it. It is one of the few oils that can really penetrate into the hair, and there have been studies showing it's effectiveness.

I am not a hair geek but I have recently been using previ iden bee propolis scalp cleansing emulsion, because I get a really itchy scalp and a build up of products. It's really good. I've just been using it once a week

I neeeeeed to find somewhere that sells the coconut oil asap!

No clue searched everywhere in my area

I neeeeeed to find somewhere that sells the coconut oil asap!

No clue searched everywhere in my area

I bought mine online, can't remember where but a quick google search brings up lots of options.

You want to get the pure coconut oil.

Holland and Barrett the health food shop sell pure coconut oil and a selection of products

I got mine from holland & Barrett

Becareful when applying you only need a little x

my hair is 30 iches long (all my own) and the only shampoo i can use is from the gp,its called Nizoral can buy it at the chemist and its fab! give you a healthy scalp,if i use a diff shampoo i am full of dandruff and this is the only thing that stops it,my hair is so shiny and in fab condition. sweet almond oil can be left on the hair for condition.i use my own homemade leave in conditioner on the ends and thats me done :O)

miranda xxx

Mines not really for a dry scalp or anything its just in the theory for.cleaning the folicles etc

Im gonna go to holland and barratt too try some coconut oil and also get some sulphate free shampoo n conditioner from the wholesalers.

Other than that im thinking of speaking to my stylist to strip the hair and start fresh with my natural colour xx

I'm no scientist, but I cannot believe this!

The image of lots of women with oily grey hair smelling of coconuts just won't leave me :|

Hey everyone

I wondered if anyone had any clues as to any products that effectively clean the scalp / like deep clean to the folicles.

Therefore I want to find a product or a natural method that would help clean or promote catalase production?

Thank you :)

Nioxin scalp renew dermabrasion cleans all the follicles. Basically a facial for your scalp xx

Here is the scientific article regarding this whole issue of Melanin production, my understanding is that they are saying that the Hydrogen peroxide is formed by our cells not left there by colour services! AND further to that it is primarily genetic you can't clean your cells or stop your genetic clock, so reach for the phone and call a hairdresser if you are bothered, or go grey gracefully as nature intended.:Love:

Hydrogen peroxide - or H2O2 by its the chemical formula - is a by-product of metabolism, and as such it is generated in small amounts throughout the human body, consequently also in hair follicles. With increasing age, the quantity builds up, because the human body can no longer keep up neutralizing the hydrogen peroxide using the enzyme catalyse, which breaks down hydrogen peroxide into its two components water and oxygen. In their work, the scientists showed that in aging cells this enzyme is still present but in very limited concentration. This has dramatic consequences. Hydrogen peroxide attacks the enzyme tyrosinase by oxidizing an amino acid, methionine, at the active site. As a consequence, this key enzyme, which normally starts the synthesizing pathway of the coloring pigment melanin, does not function anymore. "We now know the specific molecular dynamic that underlies this process," elucidates Decker. The scientists at the Institute of Biophysics at Mainz University have been working for about ten years already on research concerning tyrosinases, which are enzymes present in all organisms and performing a variety of functions. In computer simulations that helped to reveal the molecular mechanisms, the biophysicists were supported by the newly established Research Unit Computer-based Research Methods in the Natural Sciences at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.

Oxidation by hydrogen peroxide not only interferes with the production of melanin, but also inhibits other enzymes that are needed for the repair of damaged proteins. As a result, a cascade of events is set off, at the end of which stands the gradual loss of pigments in the entire hair from its root to its tip. With this research work, the scientists from Mainz and Bradford not only solved - on a molecular level - the age-old riddle of why hair turns gray in old age, but also have pointed out approaches for future therapy of vitiligo, a skin pigment disorder. For melanin is not only the pigment in hair, but it is also responsible for color in skin and eyes.
(study by Dermotologists at Bradford university England and Biophysicists in Mainz Germany)

Makes sense that the body produces h2o2 as it gives off oxygen. Excess oxygen is known as a free radical of which are neutralised by anti oxidants ie green vegetables.

I know that Phyto produce a product called Phyto polene which cleanses the scalp ready for the treatment Phyto axil or Phyto cyane.

Latest posts

Back