Cleaning the airbrush!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirsten

Reaction score
Hi all...

i have been airbrushing for several months now and have the Sudo system. i have a problem...it doesnt seem to matter how long i spend cleaning it, it still gets a blockage!!!
does anyone have a little cleaning routine they can share with me which will solve my problem?

thanks

kirsten x

hi Kirsten, how are you cleaning it? i never use cotton buds as i find the fibres get into the nozzle and cause a blockage. I use cleaning fluid with a small cleaning brush and just give it a little scrub every now and again whilst im using it and a thorough overnight soak.

i use the sudo cleaning fluid at the end of the day but water between colour changes and between clients...my training course advised me to keep my fluid to the end of the day..is this right or wrong? i dismantle my airbrushes at the end of the day and soak the nozzle and cap...is this right?

many thanks
kirsten

one of the geeks (sorry can't remember who...?) uses window cleaner diluted - same ingredients and properties but a lot cheaper! when i dismantle mine i soak in cleaning solution and leave it in one of those battery operated jewellry cleaning things which vibrate and agitate...i find it really dislodges any paint.
works for me

I never thought of that!!!
thanks!

Hi, I dont only use cleaning fluid at the end of the day but during the day aswell, and i still see loads of paint coming off when it goes in the fluid for its soak! maybe thats why your getting blockages? I have also tipped my airbrush back on a couple of occasions without realising and the paint has gone backwards up the needle, then i have to strip it down and clean it or it wont spray but splutters! I read about window cleaner too, and my airbrush cleaner smells exactly the same! think it was about 1 part window cleaner to 5 parts water? might be wrong though, have to do a search for 'window cleaner' hth x

hi folks,
best way i found to keep airbrush nice and clean is to arm yourself with a stack of the little plastic pots that camera films come in they are perfect for holding just enough cleaner (yup i use window cleaner too !) and to pop in your nozzles and nozzle caps etc, pop on the lid and give em a good shake i NEVER leave my airbrush or parts soaking overnight as it can and does cause pitting in the nozzle which arent cheap to replace. If you are using tanning fluid then simply spray through water when finished , i use su-do airbrushes and discovered soon after my training that there is no need for stripping down the airbrush every night and soaking at all, my airbrushes have not let me down in 18mths (touch wood ).
another good tip for nail art airbrushing is to keep the little side paint feeder cups that attach to your airbrush in again one of the camera film pots (boots give you em for free) when you are changing paint colour just pop the dirty one in the pot and swap it for a clean one it works fab.
hope this helps
den x

thanks all for your replies...you have all helped!
kirsten x

have the same system and if i soak it at the end of the day its fine.... i went to su do and one of the engineer type blokes showed me how to flush it thru properly and also to loosen the nozzle and blow the fluid back up thru the gun... if you carefully and i mean carefully piece the dismantled nozzle with a mega fine needle it may dislodge any paint "worms"....airbushes are are pain in the neck...(for cleaning anyway)

Latest posts

Back