Client asking prices of products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty-Box

Reaction score
Hi,

I have this client that keeps heavily hinting about prices of products. I just say yeah they are a bit more but they are brill products. Obviously I dont want to tell her how much swarovski crystals are when she is getting them done. I find it very awkward im waiting for her to ask straight out so how much are they. I just work for myself so I dont have a boss telling me im not allowed to tell prices. Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

What clients don't understand is that out of say a £20 shellac manicure service we have to incorporate a wage, cost of the product, training and sometimes travel! We don't do this out of love. So annoying. I wouldn't feel obliged to tell her. It's like me strolling into a sandwich shop and asking how much it costs to make a chicken salad roll. Standing there and working how much profit they are making before I decide if I want it or not lol so cheeky! Clients eh! X

If she asks just smile sweetly and say ' I am sorry but I do not divulge my product costs ' End of conversation

As previous poster said you would not ask anywhere else . Do you ask in Tesco how much they pay for their melons ? I don't think so

I would say I order in bulk so just pay a final bill every month!

This really annoys me when clients ask how much products cost.

They seem to ask most often about the cost of Shellac and I never answer directly but I do slightly change the subject and point out that although the Shellac looks like the size of an average nail varnish (15ml) doesn't it (they nod) it actually only contains 7.3ml because of the thickness of the bottle so the product doesn't cure in daylight, so thats actually only a little bit more than a teaspoon of product in each bottle. That DOES shut them up.

Clients method of thinking:

Service

Minus

Product cost

= big fat profit margin!

Noooooooooooo! So much more is incorporated in that naive way of thinking! X

I'd say something like; I'm like James Bond, if I told you I'd have to shoot you! tongue in cheek but jokey so as not to offend. Some people have no social awareness, asking questions that are wholly inappropriate.

Karaxxx

I find it hard when family ask... To the point where I add £10 to the actual cost of a pot of gel ha.

Or is it expensive? Yes!

How many sets do you get out of one pot? Erm, that depends, some colours apply better than others & it also depends on how long each clients nails are.

Xx

And what about rent/ telephone/ insurance/ training / laundry / couch roll & nail wipes etc. ?????
Who do they think pays for all that ????

Thanks thats what I was thinking I wud never go for a treatment and ask how much the products r. It's common sense thats rude. Twid I like ur response im goin to say that :) xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a client who always asking stuff like this ...so how many seets do you get out of a pot of gel? Or how much is a bottle of shellac? Etc

I usually say ...haven't got a clue to tell you the truth, I just order what I have to and pay the bill . But I do know I don't get it for free. Lol and change the subject.

how about "i'm sorry, that's proprietary information and it is against the policy of the companies to divulge this information. I know you think that might be silly but I can't tell you and put my contract at risk".

it is true, afterall that's why it is highly discouraged to state even here on SG what you pay - because truly how do you know if I pay what you pay? I may have a larger contract with many employees and a minimum that i purchase to get a better price... or i might pay highest price because i order only 1 or 2 pots a month.

You never know what people do with contracts and negotiations. It was well known for many years e-bay used to have "undercover" people send emails and try to strike an off the books bargain with sellers to see if they'll take it. IF the do, they'd be banned from e-bay.
So, act as if it is a similar thing. You never know where there are ears and won't risk your business and contracts.

Latest posts

Back