Client now doing "shellac" nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get really confused about day courses, can you go with no beauty experience and be qualified in a few days? Reason I ask is I'm doing my Level 2 nail services then after this year have to do Level 3 for L & P for a year THEN train with whichever product I desire, am I doing things a really long way round or the proper way?!

I know corn pops but my point being, you can actually be 'qualified' after 1 day n they aren't all cheap, but she's going to need experience and every day is a learning curve :)

Lizzieish, I qualified in 2 days and it was approved by guild insurance, however I'm waiting on starting level 3 nail services, as I want an NVQ qualification

I totally agree with the nice peeps on here. You need to give people a break.
I decided to finally follow my dream and do beauty and holistic therapies at the age of 29. Having worked for the NHS for 10 years and having a mortgage to pay for, car, life, bills, loans etc I am afraid I couldnt give up my day job to do the 2 year beauty therapist course at the local college. Instead I attended an evening course for A&P and complementary therapies, and one day courses for the likes of nails (mani, cnd shellac & 2 day coursr on acrylic) lashes, tanning, shrinking violet etc.
I am thrilled and so proud of myself I am earning great money and have never had a single complaint about poor nail application, peeling shellac etc.
Not all of us arw clever enough to decide what we want straight from school. I am glad I have done it this way as working for my self and it makes me work hard.
I practiced like the others for months charging very little explained I was newly qualified etc and I have had no problems.

I just think people should be more supportive and less bitter. You have your clients so why does it rival you so much?
The biggest brands in the world (NSI, CND, Tibby olivier) offer one day courses, so they must think its ok?
Much love :D

Ps...day courses are not cheap. I spent £7,000 on training!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Good for you PrincessJen! I'm just stumped as to how the colleges can drag out a Manicure/Pedicure course for months and months!

As a customer, as long as my nails look great and aren't trashed I couldn't give a **** whether someone had spent 1 day learning on a £150 course or spent a whole year learning!

Good for you PrincessJen! I'm just stumped as to how the colleges can drag out a Manicure/Pedicure course for months and months!

As a customer, as long as my nails look great and aren't trashed I couldn't give a **** whether someone had spent 1 day learning on a £150 course or spent a whole year learning!

Here here :thumbup::D

For me it all started as cost effectiveness for MYSELF ALONE. I had been a lifetime nail biter and of course at some point I decided I'd had enough. So I went looking for something to help cure me of it coz when I got acrylics the stupid nail tech I went to ruined my nails. I found Epic Nail shellac and my fiancée bought me a starter kit for my birthday march last year. Since them my nails have grown out, I've had a blast painting my own nails AND after a while my skills picked up enough that my friends and family started begging me to do their nails. So I did. I then started getting paid by close friends and family, just like $5 here and there so I could replace stuff as I was running out and of course they found colours they liked and asked me to order it in for them.

I have been doing my nails, my families nails and friends for about 10 months now and my work is brilliant and I can confidently say this because I have so many salon professional friends who have been pushing me to do my certificate in nail technology. I've even done a wedding of a friend of a friend. My friend Toni came to me to have her nails done over a cuppa one day and has been having me do them ever since, then she organised a girls day a few months later and asked me to come do her mums and her friends nails too. That friend ended up come back over and over and even was so confident in my abilities she got acrylic nails for her wedding but had ME paint them instead of having the job finished by the tech who did the acrylic. I felt pretty damn honoured. And i was more than happy to do it for her.

I have gone from strength to strength and I am proud to say that in two weeks time I will be starting my 14 week course. A Certificate 2 in Nail Technology that will have me be a fully qualified nail technician by AUSTRALIAN LAW. My course is costing me $1300Aud (£693) which is expensive for us. I am already in the process of setting up my home salon so that once I have finished I'll be able to actually advertise what I have confidence enough in to advertise. Acrylics and gel will be a while before I advertise publicly but will do them for friends and family at cheaper prices for experience.

Now don't get me wrong. I know a local who has been qualified since 2012 and her work is so bad she struggles to get customers and has had to post her certificate to prove to questioning people that she is actually qualified. And she did the same course I'm about to undertake so yes this is all down to people FURTHERING they're education as well. However I do feel that I can start with my course

(which includes the following:
- Work in a nail services framework
- Provide manicure and pedicare services
- Apply ultraviolet gel nail enhancement
- Apply acrylic nail enhancement
- Conduct financial transactions
- Provide service to clients
- Organise and maintain work areas
- Communicate in the workplace
- Work effectively in a retail environment
- Apply safe working practices
- Merchandise products
- Apply nail art
- Use electric file equipment for nails
- Research and apply beauty industry information
- Apply Advanced Nail Art​)

With confidence in my ability and know that even if I don't do any further training for a while I will still have common sense, this forum and the mindset needed to continue to do well.

I guess my point is we all start somewhere. She has paid for her course. She has paid for her "qualification". It may not be as much as you have personally paid or as much training as you personally have done but she's done SOMETHING. You should be encouraging not tearing her down. I sympathise that you've lost a customer but as others have said you've clearly inspired her enough to want to do it too. So don't be bitter or pissed off. Be happy that you're inspiring and let her do her own thing. Chances are you will be suited to some people and she to others. For myself I am a stay at home mum of a 3 year old and I want to do this not only because it's my passion now but also because I don't want to put my daughter in childcare but because I want to work from home.this also enables it to be easier for me to service other mothers with young children because I am in a child friendly house and they will have toys and my child to keep them company. This already works with friends children as well.

Pick apart my story and the photos of some of the work I've done, tell me I'm wrong, I couldn't care less :) because I'm at the beginning of my journey and I have goals and ambitions and it all started with me not wanting to trust others and pay other people when I could do it myself. Considering the reasons WHY I started, I think I turned out pretty ok so far and I'll only get better because I took a chance on myself.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1390414295.801953.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1390414366.988006.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1390414385.356285.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1390414423.710095.jpg

For me it all started as cost effectiveness for MYSELF ALONE. I had been a lifetime nail biter and of course at some point I decided I'd had enough. So I went looking for something to help cure me of it coz when I got acrylics the stupid nail tech I went to ruined my nails. I found Epic Nail shellac and my fiancée bought me a starter kit for my birthday march last year. Since them my nails have grown out, I've had a blast painting my own nails AND after a while my skills picked up enough that my friends and family started begging me to do their nails. So I did. I then started getting paid by close friends and family, just like $5 here and there so I could replace stuff as I was running out and of course they found colours they liked and asked me to order it in for them.

I have been doing my nails, my families nails and friends for about 10 months now and my work is brilliant and I can confidently say this because I have so many salon professional friends who have been pushing me to do my certificate in nail technology. I've even done a wedding of a friend of a friend. My friend Toni came to me to have her nails done over a cuppa one day and has been having me do them ever since, then she organised a girls day a few months later and asked me to come do her mums and her friends nails too. That friend ended up come back over and over and even was so confident in my abilities she got acrylic nails for her wedding but had ME paint them instead of having the job finished by the tech who did the acrylic. I felt pretty damn honoured. And i was more than happy to do it for her.

I have gone from strength to strength and I am proud to say that in two weeks time I will be starting my 14 week course. A Certificate 2 in Nail Technology that will have me be a fully qualified nail technician by AUSTRALIAN LAW. My course is costing me $1300Aud (£693) which is expensive for us. I am already in the process of setting up my home salon so that once I have finished I'll be able to actually advertise what I have confidence enough in to advertise. Acrylics and gel will be a while before I advertise publicly but will do them for friends and family at cheaper prices for experience.

Now don't get me wrong. I know a local who has been qualified since 2012 and her work is so bad she struggles to get customers and has had to post her certificate to prove to questioning people that she is actually qualified. And she did the same course I'm about to undertake so yes this is all down to people FURTHERING they're education as well. However I do feel that I can start with my course

(which includes the following:
- Work in a nail services framework
- Provide manicure and pedicare services
- Apply ultraviolet gel nail enhancement
- Apply acrylic nail enhancement
- Conduct financial transactions
- Provide service to clients
- Organise and maintain work areas
- Communicate in the workplace
- Work effectively in a retail environment
- Apply safe working practices
- Merchandise products
- Apply nail art
- Use electric file equipment for nails
- Research and apply beauty industry information
- Apply Advanced Nail Art​)

With confidence in my ability and know that even if I don't do any further training for a while I will still have common sense, this forum and the mindset needed to continue to do well.

I guess my point is we all start somewhere. She has paid for her course. She has paid for her "qualification". It may not be as much as you have personally paid or as much training as you personally have done but she's done SOMETHING. You should be encouraging not tearing her down. I sympathise that you've lost a customer but as others have said you've clearly inspired her enough to want to do it too. So don't be bitter or pissed off. Be happy that you're inspiring and let her do her own thing. Chances are you will be suited to some people and she to others. For myself I am a stay at home mum of a 3 year old and I want to do this not only because it's my passion now but also because I don't want to put my daughter in childcare but because I want to work from home.this also enables it to be easier for me to service other mothers with young children because I am in a child friendly house and they will have toys and my child to keep them company. This already works with friends children as well.

Pick apart my story and the photos of some of the work I've done, tell me I'm wrong, I couldn't care less :) because I'm at the beginning of my journey and I have goals and ambitions and it all started with me not wanting to trust others and pay other people when I could do it myself. Considering the reasons WHY I started, I think I turned out pretty ok so far and I'll only get better because I took a chance on myself.

View attachment 53539View attachment 53540View attachment 53541View attachment 53542

Wow good work mate!! Your nail art is fabulous well done xx

Thanks Hun! I think for someone who started at the basics and is completely self taught I'm doing really well :)

Latest posts

Back