Client taking product, now doesn't want it.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlalouise

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Would like your opinion on this.

Our self employed nail tech, let one of her clients take a Cirel, ingrown hair remover from my shelf without paying. Apparently she said she couldn't find the price so said she would text her when she spoke to me so the client could pop in and pay.

This is a typical thing our nail tech would do, she's generous to a fault and will do anything for anyone, however she's gone and done it with one of my products, which was the last one. When she text her client to say what the price was the client said "oh I don't want it then", I'll bring it back, this was over a week ago.

When she said she was bringing it back I wasn't happy, how do I know she hasn't used it, now not bringing it back after a week I'm even more miffed!

I did say to my nail tech, that I thought it was a cheek and wasn't happy to accept it back and she said she would pay for it, I obviously can't let her do that. I want to say to her client " no we won't accept it back and pay up!", however I'm not sure im being reasonable as I'm reacting to being p...ed off about it.

What do you think??

I think your therapist should pay for it, she gave it to her of course she is going to take advantage, she sees no value in it because it was free!
Your therapist should pay, then it's a lesson learnt.
Xx

I would probably put this down to experience and use it myself unless there is a seal that hasn't been broken!
Yes, she shouldn't have done it but it sounds like you have a great working relationship which could be damaged. I'd suck up the cost and lesson learnt. You could equally argue that all prices should be clearly shown but weren't. The cost of the product is small compared to the cost to a good working relationship.

Vic x

This is NOT the clients fault and so you can't reprimand the client. Accept the product back graciously.

You need to set some clear boundaries with your Nail Tech. She's not your employee, don't forget.
It's not very professional to give products away and tell clients you'll text them the price later. I really dislike the blurring of boundaries with clients.

First and foremost they're paying customers not friends.

I know what you are all saying, the thing that bugs me is that my Nail tech is self employed and this was one of her clients, so a separate business, I'm not that happy that she gave it to her in the first place without paying.

We have salon Iris Vic, so all prices are on the system and she know's how to use it so not sure what happened there. We do have a good working relationship, but I'm always telling her off for not charging, giving things away, so it won't come as a surprise to her when I shout at her - joke!

Her client isn't to blame but you'd think after being given a favour she would have come back in with it by now as she goes to the sandwich shop next to us in her lunch hour every day!

I know I've got to suck it up, I'm just being a grumpy mare!

Last edited:
The client is at fault for holding on to an item she hasn't paid for for over a week! Can you attempt to accost *ahem* I mean "casually bump into her" outside the sandwich shop and ask for either the product or the money? It's so rude and wrong, surely it's technically a form of theft, as there was a verbal contract in place to pay for the goods at a later date.

Have a nice word with the nail tech, her actions have upset you and you need to prevent it from happening again. You don't want to take her money, but you shouldn't have been put in this situation in the first place. It is not up to her to decide that an IOU is an acceptable form of payment to you. You want to tell the client you wont accept a return, which is fully understandable but more awkward as you don't want to cause a problem with someone else's client! Have a nice friendly chat with the tech and just ask that in future she doesn't let clients walk off with products they haven't paid for, there are a million ways she could have avoided it and you've sadly ended up the loser in this situation. I agree you don't want to ruin the relationship, but sounds like she wont be surprised to hear it!

I just hope the client either pays or returns the product!

Latest posts

Back