Client wants hair extensions after having baby few months ago

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voluminouslengt

Reaction score
Hi ladies need some advice havd a client wanting a weave. She already had a weave fitted and asked me to put more hair in which I refused to do and i had explained to her last week that I cannot apply weave as her hair will not be strong enough as she has just had a baby and that she cant wear extensions until 12months after giving birth. I had offered to remove them for her.

This client did not know that she wasnt able to have extensions in and she didnt have a consultation either or a strand test with a tensile test. She explained that she went to local shopping centre in town and had them fitted in a shop by someone who wasn't qualified.

This client has now got back to me and has removed her weave and has took up on my advice, but now insists that I do her weave for her and will sign a disclaimer even though I have refused twice. I do not want to damage her hair and would rather this lovely client wait the 12months.

What should I do?

1. Put my foot down and refuse again and explain again.

Or

2. do a strand test and then decide if her hair is strong enough to hold a weave and sign a disclaimer.

My heart is telling me to stick to answer 1 x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
You are the professional so you just tell her no. You won't be insured if you sign a disclaimer so don't go there.

I don't see the relevance of the ethnicity of the previous stylist who put in the weave though? Can you edit that out of your post please?

I don't see why she shouldn't have hair extensions. A client of mine had them during and after pregnancy and was absolutely fine with them.

I don't see why she shouldn't have hair extensions. A client of mine had them during and after pregnancy and was absolutely fine with them.

It's a contra indication due to hair loss and changes in hair following pregnancy

Sent from the catphone

I decided to refuse to fit the client's weave and explained to client again about eg she could have hair loss etc and the client is happy to wait for a year. I am happy that client understood the reasons why. X

Woman who did her hair previously wasnt qualified and the client had already had some hair loss. Which is why I asked her to check the contra indications which is then I found out she had a high risk contra indication and shouldn't have had them fitted in the first place by someone unqualified and did not receive consultation or the correct aftercare x

Last edited:
When training I was taught to wait 6 months after birth, not 12 😕

Okay, so it's a contra-indication, but everyone is different. In the same way that some women grow to the size of whales when pregnant while others even lose weight not everybody's hair is equally affected. Possible complications need to be explained to the client but if they're ok with that I don't see the big deal. We're talking hair extensions, not medication!

Last edited:
Hello,

You have already got some useful advice on your issue. I just want to add some point in this discussion. Read a helpful blog post about hair extensions post childbirth. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back