Client with wart

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just wanted some advice. I serviced a client yesterday for gelish who I have only seen 3 times, she does not come regularly every 2/3 weeks.

Yesterday I noticed it looks as though she has a wart on the base of her thumb just on/below her cuticle. Just wondering what other nail techs do as this is the first time I have had a client with a wart.

My metal cuticle pusher may have come in contact with it which I've washed and sprayed with disinfectant. I'm thinking in future to use a separate plastic cuticle pusher on her. I was also very careful so as to avoid any brush contact with it from my gelish products. Is this all I should be doing, should I have done anything differently?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Just wanted some advice. I serviced a client yesterday for gelish who I have only seen 3 times, she does not come regularly every 2/3 weeks.

Yesterday I noticed it looks as though she has a wart on the base of her thumb just on/below her cuticle. Just wondering what other nail techs do as this is the first time I have had a client with a wart.

My metal cuticle pusher may have come in contact with it which I've washed and sprayed with disinfectant. I'm thinking in future to use a separate plastic cuticle pusher on her. I was also very careful so as to avoid any brush contact with it from my gelish products. Is this all I should be doing, should I have done anything differently?

Thanks.

What you have done is perfect. I usually say not to worry about warts as they are only contagious from blood to blood contact, however because this is close to the cuticle if you feel more comfortable using a separate cuticle pusher you can definitely do that! :) as long as you disinfect and sterilize your tools properly you shouldn't have anything to worry about anyway but I know separate tools make some people more comfortable.
As for the Polish brush there is nothing to worry about :)
As someone who has warts them self I know they can make people uneasy however I have spoken to drs many times about them. Just make sure if you change anyway you do the nails (whether using separate files, cuticle pushers for this client) you make her feel comfortable and like it is just your usual routine. Most people are very embarrassed by warts. Mine is on my finger also so having it in a spot that cannot be hidden can be very embarrassing and upsetting.
I think you have done the right thing by what you have advised above though. Xo

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Warts are not spread by blood contact only. They can be spread by touch, towels, instruments etc. They are caused by a virus. Some people are more susceptible than others. I would cover them before doing any treatment and then thoroughly clean, disinfect and sterilize everything to be on safe side.

I agree with waxandpolish. The information you have been given about it only spreading blood to blood is wrong. Warts, verrucas etc. are a virus which has affected the top layer of skin and this can be spread through touch.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I thought that my NVQ said warts were a contraindication.

Apply a plaster on the wart and carry on as usual. Sanitise carefully after the service to be safe :) x

Same here, warts are a contraindication but if you can cover them with a waterproof dressing it's ok to proceed.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yeah I was taught it is a relative contraindication, so I could proceed but would just have to alter the service so it was safe. So as you are all saying cover it which I didn't do on this occasion as I was caught a bit off guard and instead was particularly careful. Just wondering what you are meant to cover it with? Some of you suggested plaster but am not sure what this is? Is it like nail gauze that tech's use to wrap their fingers? Alternatively, I remember my teacher saying cling film?

I'm also a bit worried how to approach the situation next time she attends as I don't want her to feel uncomfortable.

Also, some of you said you wouldn't treat someone who has a wart at all? Have you had to turn anyone down because of this? It's one of those things that seems difficult to refuse treatment over if they have made the trip in for their appt. I just want to do the right thing. :confused:

Plaster as in a bandage. Something you would put over a cut or graze. Elastoplast

Hi Charlene

I've just noticed you are in Australia. I'm in Uk and so advice I gave was based on my training here, it may be different down under :) It also explains why you don't know what a plaster is!! Not sure what you call them in oz - band aid?? Think that's American!

Bandaid works for Australia :)

I was always told not to do it because it could pass on to you/others. I've turned clients away before and they've understood, I've just offered them a different treatment

Warts are a contra-indication to any manicure service.

Latest posts

Back