Clients always wanting cheap hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi, my question is to all proffesionaly trained hair extensionists do any of you get fed up with clients wanting really good hair extensions fitted in for as CHEAP as possible ?

I mean after all .... you have to stand there for five or more hours
do any of you feel let down by people asking you for cheap extensions all the time ?...
especially when you have paid out all that money for your professional training costs and insurance ect.....
what do you say to these people ?

I have a three tiered pricing structure as I use three different suppliers. I always discuss prices on consultation. I do get some telephone enquiries and first question is what the price is, I know then that these enquiries are looking for cheapest price. I do advise them to book a consultation which most of them do. I then discuss prices with them at consultation.

Hello minky

I am not a trained hair pro :) But this it is ok to answer :)

How much is a full head of hair extensions?

I had them about 15 years ago and I paid £500. I was there pretty much all day. They spent a long time (maybe 1-2 hours if I remember rightly) just blending various colours and textures to create a match for my own hair.

I don't know how much it would cost now, or if many people go for a 'personal blend' anymore, but I am under the impression costs have come down(?)

However, like I said, I was there for the day! So, when I consider how much I make in an hour, I guess I would have to consider how much the hair tech would like to make in an hour.

I would explain to the client that the product is just one element that makes up the overall cost, but it is your time and expertise that accounts for the main part. (Surely your time is worth the same, regardless of which product you are using!?)

Hello minky

I am not a trained hair pro :) But this it is ok to answer :)

How much is a full head of hair extensions?

I had them about 15 years ago and I paid £500. I was there pretty much all day. They spent a long time (maybe 1-2 hours if I remember rightly) just blending various colours and textures to create a match for my own hair.

I don't know how much it would cost now, or if many people go for a 'personal blend' anymore, but I am under the impression costs have come down(?)

However, like I said, I was there for the day! So, when I consider how much I make in an hour, I guess I would have to consider how much the hair tech would like to make in an hour.

I would explain to the client that the product is just one element that makes up the overall cost, but it is your time and expertise that accounts for the main part. (Surely your time is worth the same, regardless of which product you are using!?)

I don't know, Zoe, I really do not see why we have to justify what we charge to our clients by going into the ins and outs of our business. I don't think they give a rats behind for our explanations. I don't think it impresses them or helps them understand anything because they don't want to know. they just want what they want.

It is no different with nails. It is no different for a painter of a fine painting ... no one calculates the time. To me it is highly irritating to be asked to justify my business. Frankly I don't explain other than to say I am an expert at what I do and I use the best products available for the job and I guarantee my work ... end of story.

I don't know, Zoe, I really do not see why we have to justify what we charge to our clients by going into the ins and outs of our business. I don't think they give a rats behind for our explanations. I don't think it impresses them or helps them understand anything because they don't want to know. they just want what they want.

It is no different with nails. It is no different for a painter of a fine painting ... no one calculates the time. To me it is highly irritating to be asked to justify my business. Frankly I don't explain other than to say I am an expert at what I do and I use the best products available for the job and I guarantee my work ... end of story.

I do totally agree with you, and to be honest I can't really recall a time when I have been asked to justify my prices. But I assume that is due to the demographic of my clients, i.e. I live in a relatively affluent area, most of my clients are mature etc. But I can see with hair extensions, particularly as a lot of youngsters probably don't care about the quality, that they would just want cheap, cheap, cheap. (As with nails!)

Personally, if a client were asking me to justify my prices, I would probably change the subject, then gently push them away and always be busy when they wanted to re-book. I know a client is a client is a client, and they are our bread and butter but I just can't be doing with aggro clients and I am extremely fortunate not to have to. (Touch wood!)

I have clients asking for cheap extensions however once I explain the benefits of good, quality hair, they normally don't mind the price.

My biggest one is clients not wanting to pay a cut and blowdry price. we are by far not the most expensive however we are not the cheapest in town. They always want something for nothing and very rarely appreciate our expertise. holidaymakers are forever telling us it is cheaper in Leeds (I really don't believe that!) and are always trying to barter to get us to lower our prices!

For some reason hairdressers are not viewed as experts in their field.

I have clients asking for cheap extensions however once I explain the benefits of good, quality hair, they normally don't mind the price.

My biggest one is clients not wanting to pay a cut and blowdry price. we are by far not the most expensive however we are not the cheapest in town. They always want something for nothing and very rarely appreciate our expertise. holidaymakers are forever telling us it is cheaper in Leeds (I really don't believe that!) and are always trying to barter to get us to lower our prices!

For some reason hairdressers are not viewed as experts in their field.

I view my hair stylist as a GODDESS!! She keeps me looking good and I do exactly what she says. 13 years now we have been together every week unless I am away and then ... I am very anxious!!!

Last edited:
You are a fab client then :)

My regulars are fabulous, it's these transients that are the problem!

I had a cheap haircut once :eek: my lovely long hair ended up cut into the POB. :eek:
Never again!!!
I dont question my stylists prices I just hand over the plastic. In the end you get what you pay for.

Ive got to admit theres one girl I work with who has extensions which look like rats tails, can clearly see where they are bonded to her hair too. Looks dreadful and if that were the only ones Id ever seen Id never even contemplate them.

But another girl I work with had them too... then had them removed and tbh I hadnt noticed to start with they were extensions, i thought she had her hair cut lol and she told me she had her extensions out... What a difference to the first girl. I wonder which girl got theirs on the cheap?

Ive got to admit theres one girl I work with who has extensions which look like rats tails, can clearly see where they are bonded to her hair too. Looks dreadful and if that were the only ones Id ever seen Id never even contemplate them.

But another girl I work with had them too... then had them removed and tbh I hadnt noticed to start with they were extensions, i thought she had her hair cut lol and she told me she had her extensions out... What a difference to the first girl. I wonder which girl got theirs on the cheap?

Hi, yes the quality of hair and a good extensionist who fits them in well can make big difference,
plus the girl with the nice extensions probably followed all the after care and maintenence insructions too :hug: x minky

Do you negotiate prices at the supermarket with the cashier?

How about when you go to a restaurant?

Do you decide what price to pay your solicitor?

Does the electric company give you discounts?

The answer is no. These people need to respect our business, not only the time we spend to find the best products, but for our time spent applying these products.

Our schooling took time and money, as well as getting our license (s).

You are professional, and don't accept any less than that.

The consultation is the most important part. The price and time should be agreed upon and paid when the service is rendered. If they walk, they walk.

There was a time when I let people negotiate what they wanted to pay, and I hurt in the end. I had a client once that always cried poverty and rescheduled last minute. Then she would tell me she just bought a new car and redid her whole house. She even went on a shopping spree and showed me all of her nice new clothes! Eventually, I fired her because she rescheduled on me one last time and I had enough. The point is, I let her do this to me, she didn't care how I paid my rent!

I think the 3 tier system is a great idea, even two would be good. It gives them a choice, and allows you to still make money.

Last edited:
I simply don't do cheap hair ext. My personal experience id that the clients that want to haggle and want cheap hair are the ones that give you no end of hassle.
Personally I state the cost and if they dont want to pay it, I explain that there are cheaper ext out there, and they should shop around.

I know exactly what you mean, when clients ask me for prices they nearly always say they will get back to me but never do and yet I am by no means the most expensive in the area and in fact I couldn't really charge any less when I take the amount of time it takes into consideration. I was tempted at one point to resort to using cheaper hair but I really didn't want to compromise on quality as afterall it is my reputation at stake and I wouldn't want to put my name to naff looking extensions. However I do have a number of clients who return to me time after time and these make it all worthwhile. Incidentally I get the same reaction with spray tans and I simply inform the client that yes they probably could get a tan cheaper elsewhere but does the technician have the same training, insurance and quality product I have? - I doubt it. People always seem to want as much for as little money as they can get but at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

have a few prices ready.
have your normal price for the best hair,
then a medium price for less exxpensive
and then the cheap one and explain that the hair is not going to be as long lasting, nice to touch so on... but always put your labour as the same price... after all your doing the same job!!!
as the saying goes you only get what you pay for......or as my nanny used to say .,.. if you buy cheap you end up paying twice.
hope that helps xx

I refuse to use cheap hair. You can tell em till your blue in the face what to expect, and they still moan that it sheds and goes ratty.

Latest posts

Back