Clients complaining about hair extensions prices

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer2089

Reaction score
Hi im a newly qualified extensionist, i use indian remy hair and all my clients have complemmented on the hair, however some clients feel my prices are to. low some clients feel they are too high i chage £250 for full head 20inches i think is pretty reasonable some clients feel that this price is a bit expensive. now ive have been thinking about prices as if i went lowe i wouldnt make alot of profit but at the same time i have done discounts at £200 some clients still want it cheaper. I work very hard at my job, i have a great but expensive supplier. i dont know what to do wanting some advice. my clients always come back to me though so im bit confused x

In my opinion..they think it's too high..tough sh*t! They wouldn't go into asda and complain that the price of bourbons was too high so don't let people try and make you push you're prices down. You need to cover costs for the products but also your time! You've trained to provide a professional service and surely that wasn't cheap? I'm not saying don't do offers/promotions but don't feel like you HAVE to! Youv worked hard to qualify in what you do so don't shoot yourself in the foot and you charge what you think you're worth :) xx

In my opinion..they think it's too high..tough sh*t! They wouldn't go into asda and complain that the price of bourbons was too high so don't let people try and make you push you're prices down. You need to cover costs for the products but also your time! You've trained to provide a professional service and surely that wasn't cheap? I'm not saying don't do offers/promotions but don't feel like you HAVE to! Youv worked hard to qualify in what you do so don't shoot yourself in the foot and you charge what you think you're worth :) xx

Hear! Hear! Tell them to do one x

Hi im a newly qualified extensionist, i use indian remy hair and all my clients have complemmented on the hair, however some clients feel my prices are to. low some clients feel they are too high i chage £250 for full head 20inches i think is pretty reasonable some clients feel that this price is a bit expensive. now ive have been thinking about prices as if i went lowe i wouldnt make alot of profit but at the same time i have done discounts at £200 some clients still want it cheaper. I work very hard at my job, i have a great but expensive supplier. i dont know what to do wanting some advice. my clients always come back to me though so im bit confused x

£250 is not too high at all! down where i live, girls are charging £3-400 mobile, i charged between £270-£350 and in my training course we were told not to go too low as the process of doing them is skilled and takes long to do xx stick with the price xx

Tell them ur having a price increase, the ones who are saying ur too cheap are good clients, they obviously want you to do well as they. Value ur service so much they want u to make good money so u stick about and can do their hair. There are always some that think some prices are too expensive, these think that free things cost too much and they should be paid to have them.
Tell any1 who asks for discounts that YOU set promotions at times but unfortunately u dont have one on and the price is £x,
Listen to the nice clients and up ur prices by £50 atleast, even then I would say ur cheap, but let's call it exceptional value for money at £300! Xoxo

sorry i've come over from the beauty/nail side, but i'm a hair extension lover and around my area the price is £500+, majority of salons are around £700. any hoo, i think more and more people want a celebrity lifestyle at bargin basement prices. explain that they are paying for quality hair and your talent, if they want cheap then tell them to get clip ins. if you let them knock you down in price they will keep on and on until you are out of business. good luck :D

Reading this threat just reminded of something that happened to me a few months ago.

I girl came into my salon and asked if i did hair extensions to which i replied that i did. She then went on to tell me about how she'd had all her beautiful long hair cut off by her mother and how she was just heart broken and sooo embarassed to go out of the house. I had a quick look at her hair to check for suitability then started telling her about the different methods i use and the different types of hair and asked her if she had any preference. She replied (quote) "Well i've only got £19 so which could i afford?":!:

I honestly don't know how i kept a straight face. Needless to say she didn't have extensions off me in the end and I haven't seen her since (my prices start at around £400).

One lesson I have learned is that cheap prices attract cheap customers. Pride yourself on providing quality and never fall into the trap of trying to compete with other "cheaper" extensionists. Customers who are familiar with hair extensions are aware that good quality hair costs money, not to mention the cost of maintenance, and it is these customers that you want to attract, not the "something for nothing" brigade.

HTH
Emma xx

Be very careful and tough s*** is the wrong attitude your clients are your bread and butter and they can always find someone else to do it, were im from i charge £150 for full head 20" and that gives me almost 200% profit never be too greedy research your area and work with your clients to give a price that is good for you both, remember remember remember stylists are 10 a penny and the clients youv'e got you want to keep am i right or am i right only an ignorant hairdresser would chuck money on to services because their clients think its too cheap you can suggest if they feel its low they can tip you and this will keep them sweet and the ones who think its too high offer them a discount or an extra service for free i.e a free trim etc and if your barely making profit on £250 then your buying from the long supplier search the net many good retailers offering good discounts on quality products i can get 200s for £60 thats a good half head on thick and full head on fine so for £60 i can do a full head on thick charge 150 thats £90 profit i dont know were you are and area is important to pricing research research research

Be very careful and tough s*** is the wrong attitude your clients are your bread and butter and they can always find someone else to do it, were im from i charge £150 for full head 20" and that gives me almost 200% profit never be too greedy research your area and work with your clients to give a price that is good for you both, remember remember remember stylists are 10 a penny and the clients youv'e got you want to keep am i right or am i right only an ignorant hairdresser would chuck money on to services because their clients think its too cheap you can suggest if they feel its low they can tip you and this will keep them sweet and the ones who think its too high offer them a discount or an extra service for free i.e a free trim etc and if your barely making profit on £250 then your buying from the long supplier search the net many good retailers offering good discounts on quality products i can get 200s for £60 thats a good half head on thick and full head on fine so for £60 i can do a full head on thick charge 150 thats £90 profit i dont know were you are and area is important to pricing research research research

If it were me though, and my motto to get clients in, as I am priced above local salons is you get what you pay for. Here atleast in the village I live in £150 is extremely cheap, I would expect the hair to tangle and be of poor quality. Im looking into training courses and from the word go I won't be pricing below £300 as a introductory offer for practice, and that's only if I'm making mega profit. At the moment, for full head tints I'm making around 1000% profit, and cuts are not included like many salons do.

But my clients are spreading you pay for what you get, and with profit that high I can afford to cut out the people who will continually ask for discounts as I am not a charity and hairdressers, nail techs beauticians have to eat as pay bills too.
Xoxo

Can I ask what site u get your hair from cause Im in the same situation where in my town some people are charging 130 for a full head bonded hair and I have been using lush hair for a long time and I'm always over 120 for just hair and I only charge 180 so not much profit x

The hair you are using cannot be ethically sourced at this price!!!! I couldnt even buy half a head of 20" european ethically sourced hair for what you are charging for the finished product. , let alone with what i charge for fitting on top !!!
I personally cant justify using cheap hair due to the high human price , i also enjoy sleeping at night. I really educate all my clients to the true cost of these cheap hair extensions , so if they still want cheap hair extensions then they can jog on as far as i am concerned .
They pay a premium price for premium hair and and a premium service.

Last edited:
The hair you are using cannot be ethically sourced at this price!!!! I couldnt even buy half a head of 20" european ethically sourced hair for what you are charging for the finished product. , let alone with what i charge for fitting on top !!!
I personally cant justify using cheap hair due to the high human price , i also enjoy sleeping at night. I really educate all my clients to the true cost of these cheap hair extensions , so if they still want cheap hair extensions then they can jog on as far as i am concerned .

I agree...nothing to do with being an "ignorant hairdresser"?!?! I also prefer to give my clients the best hair and the best service, and if u want the best, u pay for the best as far as I'm concerned. X

Well said! I remember crying after doing a client at college, she was Asian and had hair down her back, she wanted it shoulder length, so to begin I just put it in a ponytail and chopped it off then tidied it up into a style. If I cried that all that was cut off I don't know how these young girls forced to do it cope.
Needless to say the client was happy ad we had Asian hair to do tests on at the college, but not until I had a sit down in the empty salon with a friend while I broke down haha.
Basically I'm saying after that experience I would want to know the hair came from some1 who wanted it cut off like my client did not some child forced to do it by their family and definitely paid a fair price for us to strut around with hair from another person on us xoxo

there are girls by me charging £95 for a full head of 20" micro ring or prebonded!!!

Personally, I feel I have invested in quality training, only use quality products and aftercare and am always on hand to offer my clients aftercare and advice. that is priceless as far as your hair goes IMO.

It is difficult in some areas to charge a price that will build up clients but still place a value on your training and skill but I know I would rather have a small handful of regular clients investing in their extensions than a book full of people wanting cheap as chips and not caring for the hairs' source, quality etc xx

Can I ask what site u get your hair from cause Im in the same situation where in my town some people are charging 130 for a full head bonded hair and I have been using lush hair for a long time and I'm always over 120 for just hair and I only charge 180 so not much profit x

Hi my supplier is hair planet your talkoing about 120 for full head x

Hi my supplier is hair planet your talkoing about 120 for full head x

Thank you ladies for your reply I work really hard and long hours, I studied like mad to pass my training and exam. I think I will put up my price to 300. I have had great feed back about quality of hair and my work. Thank you for your help and advice x x

Thank you ladies for your reply I work really hard and long hours, I studied like mad to pass my training and exam. I think I will put up my price to 300. I have had great feed back about quality of hair and my work. Thank you for your help and advice x x

If you do other services too, if your extensions are anything to go by then up the full price list. Never under price yourself. It's Easy to lower prices than to higher them. And you wont have the something for nothing clients no more xoxo

I add £150 to the cost of the hair, regardless of the hair, I might pay £90 for Lush us then I add £150, £250 for Balmain, add £150. If they live further than 10 miles away I add 40p per mile from 11 miles onwards. That £150 charge isn't just for fitting, it's for my time, I never rush, it's for the £1000+ I've spent on training, it's because I DO know how to cut their extensions, and the fact I have knowledge of hair in general, they don't have to go elsewhere to have their hair cut and coloured. I do give my clients the odd freebie, which they love. I think you have to get your market right as there's lots of competition out there, but I personally would never go for the cheaper option, and that's for anything in life. To me to cheap spells desperate. Good luck with your price increase. If you lose clients all that will happen is you'll do less work for same money x

I agree...nothing to do with being an "ignorant hairdresser"?!?! I also prefer to give my clients the best hair and the best service, and if u want the best, u pay for the best as far as I'm concerned. X

The hair I use is 100% indian remy and it is great quality for full head 20 inches your from 120 to 140 for full head of hair some clients don't want to pay this personally I wouldn't go any lower prices as they will be getting cheap chinese hair which I don't like, indian hair can last up to a 7months and re used. I love the hair x

The hair I use is 100% indian remy and it is great quality for full head 20 inches your from 120 to 140 for full head of hair some clients don't want to pay this personally I wouldn't go any lower prices as they will be getting cheap chinese hair which I don't like, indian hair can last up to a 7months and re used. I love the hair x

Good on ya :) stick to it Hun x

Latest posts

Back