Clients demands to 'heat up' sunbed before they use

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazzy70

Reaction score
Hi all just wondering if anyone has had experience of this.
I have 2 male clients whom have just bought block sunbed minutes, and are both now demanding each time they visit that I or my staff heat the sunbed 3 minutes before they use them.
I have told them that we do not do this. If I start doing it for one it would be never ending and my electricity bills are sky high as it is!
The way I see it is if you use a sunbed in winter it is going to be cold when you get undressed, and they arent used so frequentley as in warmer months so are colder. Heating them in no way increases the output or level of tanning a client will receive.
These 2 male clients are now saying Im rude because I will not give them there own way, and they want a refund.
Any advice or help appreciated. :rolleyes:

Refund them. They sound like nightmares before they've even begun having the service! It really isn't worth it for the few pounds they are putting in the till.

If they've already had the treatment, I wouldn't refund them. They still had their however many mins in there, whether it was cold or not. I'd also tell them if they want me to heat the sunbed for 3 mins, then they can pay for an extra 3 mins. But I can be quite narky when I want to be, especially when people are obnoxious or rude.

If they've already had the treatment, I wouldn't refund them. They still had their however many mins in there, whether it was cold or not. I'd also tell them if they want me to heat the sunbed for 3 mins, then they can pay for an extra 3 mins. But I can be quite narky when I want to be, especially when people are obnoxious or rude.

Agree! Tell them if they want the three minutes they will have to pay them! Your not a charity! X

Thanks Ive told them No refunds as they have almost used there minutes anyway. And I dont profess to give them Bahamas weather when they visit the salon, if the beds have been on and used or not before they come thats the Luck of the draw.
They can Jog on! :eek:

why should you refund them? they are still getting the same service and still getting the same amount of uv rays, maybe put a heater in the room if its cold but i would not refund them they have bought a course and that is that they will have to use the minutes.

No its not cold in the salon, heating on timers permanently in all rooms.
Just that they want the beds 'hot'.
Some Daft clients think they get a better tan if the sunbeds are hotter before they use.
But NO im standing by my guns, they are not getting a refund.
Thanks everyone. :lol:

We used to put little heaters in the lie down rooms when it was really cold. If they are using stand up beds then the need to stop whining and man up lol. If they use lie down beds tell them to try the stand ups as there skin is not touching the cold plastic. Or even tell them to put the tokens/coins in whilst getting undressed so the bed starts to warm then get in/on!! No refunds for the whimpy men!! X

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

i agree they are just wimps and it doesnt take that long to warm up anyway

Agreed! :grr: Hahaha.

I really dont see what the problem is.

3 mins isnt going to break the bank- introduce it into your costings.

You've just lost 2 clients that could have recommended more clients due to your hosipitality and acommadating them! Yeah they might want a refund now, but think about it in thier shoes. They've made a suggestion that its cold, then i would listen and reassure them! Even if you know its not been on, say its definatly been used- sometimes its all in peoples heads! Really you need to assess your attitude and review your service to clients.

I understand that sometimes it can be colder in at certain times in the day- why not recommend that if this is the case to come later on in the day, or even suggest a cream to help accerelate that tan?

I would refund them now, because they have become bitter and rude, and i wouldnt want to service them with this attitude! xoxo

Hi all just wondering if anyone has had experience of this.
I have 2 male clients whom have just bought block sunbed minutes, and are both now demanding each time they visit that I or my staff heat the sunbed 3 minutes before they use them.
I have told them that we do not do this. If I start doing it for one it would be never ending and my electricity bills are sky high as it is!
The way I see it is if you use a sunbed in winter it is going to be cold when you get undressed, and they arent used so frequentley as in warmer months so are colder. Heating them in no way increases the output or level of tanning a client will receive.
These 2 male clients are now saying Im rude because I will not give them there own way, and they want a refund.
Any advice or help appreciated. :rolleyes:

Many moons ago I used a sunbed & in the winter months various salons had started the bed just as I went in the room or gave an extra token, this wasn't just for me it was also for all customers. For me it made a huge difference as there's nothing worse (slight exaggeration) than undressing in a cold room then lying on a cold sunbed.
I can understand its a little frustrating as like you say your bills are as high as they are but it could make all the difference in gaining more or loosing more clients.
X

I agree with the last post

I find it funny how people think hot beds are stronger, its actually the reverse, cooler ones are using the power to produce uv light rather than heat. Even "warmed up" beds aren't working at full capacity.

If I were you I would offer to warm them up for 3 minutes but it will be part of their purchased time not goodwill. Or point them to eBay where they can buy their own for home and let it warm for hours if they want xoxo

I find it funny how people think hot beds are stronger, its actually the reverse, cooler ones are using the power to produce uv light rather than heat. Even "warmed up" beds aren't working at full capacity.

If I were you I would offer to warm them up for 3 minutes but it will be part of their purchased time not goodwill. Or point them to eBay where they can buy their own for home and let it warm for hours if they want xoxo

Ha I used to love telling my customers this when they said they wanted to wait for a hot bed. It evened out the use of the beds then. Honestly I don't know where they get some things from! I also liked to explain what dha stood for in certain accelerating creams when they said "i don't like that cream because this one makes me twice as dark". Umm yes because its basically full of fake tan!! Educating clients is great fun (all explained very professionally of course)! :) hehe.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Hi, I used to heat my sunbeds up in the morning (when I was in NZ) before the first client arrived and then throughout the day if there were gaps. I also heated the room when necessary. It doesn't really cost a lot to do this - not in the big scheme of things - and particularly if you look on it as customer service and make a bit of deal of it to clients at the time of purchase ie "we heat our beds and rooms for people so that it's more comfortable.... etc" That way, you might get known for the extra care you take in client comfort and word does spread. Could be something you also use in your advertising - I know from my own experience that it's awful getting onto a cold bed, and I'm sure this is something that people would pay extra for given the right marketing. It seemed to work for me.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for a customer to expect a sun bed to be warm the minute they step in it. It's not just about UV, it's about a warm pleasent experience. I would do everything I could within reason to avoid hearing the words "I want a refund".

If you really don't want to put the electric on for a few minutes, how about getting a couple of hot water-bottles and popping them on the bed for 5 minutes before the first client. It'd warm up the "glass" bit.

Or even an electric blanket for a bit, although not sure it'd warm as well as a hotty-bottle :)
Might be a nicer experience for your clients? Although becareful about H&S!

:)

I think it's perfectly reasonable for a customer to expect a sun bed to be warm the minute they step in it. It's not just about UV, it's about a warm pleasent experience. I would do everything I could within reason to avoid hearing the words "I want a refund".

Absolutely agree with this.

You are providing a service and you should be making it as pleasant as possible.

Have you been in the room yourself and taken your clothes off and gotten on a cold sunbed? If you haven't it's not nice and if you have you will know why they are complaining.

If you went to the hairdressers and they were saving a few pence by turnig the temperature of the water down whilst washing your hair it would probably be the part of the service that you would come to hate.

You might even ask them to increase the temperature. But hairdressers have the courtesy to ask you if the temperature is ok. They are giving you a choice.

When someone comes to my salon for a spray tan I warm the room with a naked body in mind. It is too hot for me and slightly uncomfortable as by the end of the treatment I am way too hot. But how would it feel if I decided to just take the chill off the room instead of making it comfortable for the client in order to save a few pence?

I would not lose a client over something this small when there is probably another salon close by who will accommodate this request.

I would not refund them, I would tell them next time the beds will be wam and have the next one 'on the house'.

Customer care is king people. It's not just about how well you provide a treatment.

Peace and respect

xx

Remember, if people have good customer service they tell two people, if it's bad they will tell ten :)

Michelle x

Latest posts

Back