Clients payment in cash

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy chick

Reaction score
Am I being silly? I have a client that has been coming to me for a couple years now. The past 3 months, when she pays me for her nails, pays me in very small change! Like £20 worth of small silver and even bronze coinage!
Now I know she's a loyal client and all that but my bank only allows the minimum for each cash bag and currently I have £27 in coinage that doesn't meet the bank bag minimum. I won't use these small coins for payment.
She's quite a well to do lady if you know what I mean, so it's not that she's struggling to pay me.
Iv asked her if she can avoid paying me with such small coinage but if anything it's got worse!
What would you do? It annoys me. It's like I'm only worth the dregs from her piggy bank or something!

Rant over 😳

I would just change it over myself and exchange it for my own money if it was a problem, it's only a small amount.

If she's paying you in silver (50p's and 20p's) you only have to accept up to ten pounds. You only have to accept five pounds of 10p's The rest she has to pay in pound coins or higher.

If it's only £20 i would just pop in to my local shop and ask them to change it! no biggie... it's all legal tender... as long as the client is happy & returns then all is good!!!

Most supermarkets have those change machines for you to put all the shrapnel coins in!

Can you use one of them?

At the end of the day this client is returning regularly and is paying you. I would be glad of that and not worry about the fact she is paying with change.

We have a customer (in a non hair & beauty related business) that comes to the store & spends up to £100 in 20 pence coins (because they save every 20p they get given then treat themselves with the savings). Although they are spending larger in amounts & this does means we can bag them up & take them to the bank easily enough they don't fit in our til. We still HAPPILY take the money and serve them with a smile because it's a sale and every sale counts.

I would NEVER complaim how a client or customer pays, just swap your own money for the change or take the change to your bank and ask them to swap it for notes & pound coins (as a normal bank customer they will do this, I wouldn't anounce it is for a business account I'd just ask if they will swap my change for notes as my purse is bursting with change, they've always done this for me happily enough when I've asked previously).

PS... KayaPapaya those change machines in Tesco etc.. charge you so you don't get the same amount of money out as you put in :rolleyes:

At the end of the day this client is returning regularly and is paying you. I would be glad of that and not worry about the fact she is paying with change.

We have a customer (in a non hair & beauty related business) that comes to the store & spends up to £100 in 20 pence coins (because they save every 20p they get given then treat themselves with the savings). Although they are spending larger in amounts & this does means we can bag them up & take them to the bank easily enough they don't fit in our til. We still HAPPILY take the money and serve them with a smile because it's a sale and every sale counts.

I would NEVER complaim how a client or customer pays, just swap your own money for the change or take the change to your bank and ask them to swap it for notes & pound coins (as a normal bank customer they will do this, I wouldn't anounce it is for a business account I'd just ask if they will swap my change for notes as my purse is bursting with change, they've always done this for me happily enough when I've asked previously).

PS... KayaPapaya those change machines in Tesco etc.. charge you so you don't get the same amount of money out as you put in :rolleyes:

Oh dear. The machine at our supermarket charges .11 cents per $!
We do have a machine at our bank that doesn't charge if you have an accnt with them, you dump all the change in it and it sorts/calculates and deposits to your accnt free of charge :D

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

yep, I was going to say, those machines take commission!

Oh I didn't know they charged! :/

I don't know if you're in the uk but if you bank with hsbc they have a machine like the ones in the supermarkets that let you pay in loose change. They don't charge you and they put it straight in your account for you. I'm sure other banks must do the same!

If not, use the money as a float and keep it until it builds up to an amount you can deposit into the bank.

If she's a returning customer I wouldn't want to upset her, she's paying you the correct money at the end of the day, if she was being a bit funny with paying I'd be concerned xx

I don't know if you're in the uk but if you bank with hsbc they have a machine like the ones in the supermarkets that let you pay in loose change. They don't charge you and they put it straight in your account for you. I'm sure other banks must do the same!

If not, use the money as a float and keep it until it builds up to an amount you can deposit into the bank.

If she's a returning customer I wouldn't want to upset her, she's paying you the correct money at the end of the day, if she was being a bit funny with paying I'd be concerned xx

You definitely said £ so you are in the uk :) ha sorry!xx

If she's paying you in silver (50p's and 20p's) you only have to accept up to ten pounds. You only have to accept five pounds of 10p's The rest she has to pay in pound coins or higher.

As much as it might be annoying accepting a lot of change, I have never heard of this 'only have to accept' certain amounts of change!! It is all legal tender and if I was told to pay with notes or pound coins only I'd be taking my business else where.

She's a regular and loyal customer so is obviously happy with you or she wouldn't keep coming back. Just change the cash yourself and smile....:). xx

Just on a side note (not trying cause an argument) some supermarkets/shops wont accept all change as payment (not sure what limits) as it takes too long to count and check, held up the lines and messed up the end of day banking so they can refuse service unless you can pay a different way, someone complained to a paper a while ago and it was a whole is it right/wrong thing. I'll see if i can find the article.

Although i do agree that as long as shes paying the right amount its fair enough.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was going to say about hsbc too! It's brilliant, just pop the coins in and it's straight in your bank, no sorting out :)

What a pain 😒

If she still continues to do so I suppose there's no rules against it. I would swap it for my money and then I like to use those self checkouts at the supermarkets so I just throw it all in there. That way you don't lose a single penny of it rather than using the machines in there for lose change that take something like 8p for every pound. It's not much but why should you...!!

x

This is from the royal mint website

http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/legal-tender-guidelines

Quote:

The amounts for legal tender are stated below.
BANK OF ENGLAND NOTES:

In England and Wales the £5, £10, £20 and £50 notes are legal tender for payment of any amount. However, they are not legal tender in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
COINS:

Coins are legal tender throughout the United Kingdom for the following amounts:

£5 - for any amount

£2 - for any amount

£1 - for any amount

50p - for any amount not exceeding £10

25p (Crown) - for any amount not exceeding £10

20p - for any amount not exceeding £10

10p - for any amount not exceeding £5

5p - for any amount not exceeding £5

2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Most corner shops would be delighted to take it from you as the banks charge them for change.

I have a regular client who saves up 50p and 20p coins and when she has enough she comes for a treatment. I love it! I always have change available and if it builds up I swap it with notes from my purse and use the coins in the self service checkout at my local Tesco :biggrin:

I was just about to say about the self service counter.lol

Sent from my CUBOT ONE using SalonGeek mobile app

Some branches of natwest have the same coin deposit machines too. Goes straight into your account and the way it's designed you can literally tip bags in there! X

Latest posts

Back