Clients wanting nails to 'breathe'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Norris

Reaction score
hi, i just wondered what you guys say to clients when they say "i think i should give Shellac a rest and let my nails breathe" obviously the first thing i say is that nails dont breathe (as they havent got lungs). I had a client yesterday who has been wearing it for 3 months with no problems but i was a bit stuck as to what to say when she said she was going to leave it off until after xmas because of the above....any advice would be appreciated :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I dont use shellac, I use gelish. but I have a client that is giving her nails a rest to breathe just now as well. I just say your nails don't need time to breathe in the same way your hair doesn't need to breathe with colouring it..... I say if they want to give them a break they can. I advise use of their cuticle/solar oil daily and regular manicures to keep their hands and nails healthy until they feel ready to have their enhancements re applied xx

I would advise against it, particularly if she is 'letting them breathe' for a special event.

Once upon a time when I didn't know what I know now I grew my nails out using Shellac especiallly for my wedding, they were all naturally long, even shape, length everything. lovely. two weeks before my wedding I decided to give the Shellac a rest as for some reason I thought this would mean my nails would be in the best condition possible for wedding day - don't think I quite used the words let them breathe but something along those lines. Two days of bare nails and I badly snapped the fingernail next to my ring finger!! I was used to the strength of shellac and had never had natural nails that long so it was an accident waiting to happen really. Fortunately I saw sense and got shellac reapplied and managed to grow the nail back out a bit but I was gutted.

So there is a good reason not to give it up especially just before an event where your want you nails to look good! So unless you clients wants to risk having short nails for Christmas keep up the Shellac.

As long as a client's nails are properly maintained and there aren't any injuries or health issues, there is absolutely no need to take a break from any services, even enhancements. The whole "let my nails breathe" thing is obviously a myth but your client probably doesn't know any better.

Two things can be going on here.

1. She may not be taking proper care of her nails, which you haven't implied in your post. Or...
  2. It's Christmas and she may not want to spend the money right now on the service. I think this may be the case.
I have several clients who bail on their regular services this time of year opting to spend this money on gifts rather treatments.

My gut feeling is with gr8nailz 2nd option

"It's Christmas and she may not want to spend the money right now on the service. I think this may be the case."

I know some clients think the gel makes their nails soft.

The nail will feel softer initially when the gel comes off as the air has not got to the nail to hardened them.

I tell them, just like a plaster the skin will be a little softer underneath where it has had the protection of the plaster till the air gets to it but the minute you put on another plaster it goes softer again. So letting your nails have a rest from gel wont make a difference.

Our feet are the same, they stay much softer in the winter when we cover them up with socks but the minute we wear sandals & the air gets to them the skin goes harder.

Really analogy there Poohbear.

I usually explain that if the client would liek to give them a break it's totally fine but I make sure that they are aware that nails do not need to breath.

I know that I am applying and removing correctly so I usually say the only thing that could happen is that they could develop some dryness but this is only down to lack of solar oil or that nails may feel soft for a day or two if removed.

I would never "advise against it" just because it might be the clients way of saying they can't afford it. Have to be careful with how you word it but give them an honest truthful answer, they should hopefully trust you and it will bring them back.

I have a client who openly admits that she doesn't use oil and it had gotten to the point where they were awful, I told her I wasn't prepared to Shellac them anymore, the product wasn't lasting because her nails were so bad and I didnt want her to think it was the product and I did not want to ruin her nails, she went away, used her oil for a few weeks and came back: I now have a regualr solar oil using client.

I usually say they don't 'need' a rest too. I get my clients to look at the growth on a 3 week rebalance, and then get them to imagine how much their nails grow in say another 12 weeks - for ladies who keep their nails fairly short it's pretty much their entire nail! This way they realise that their nails don't stay old for long, and that there's always lot of lovely new nail emerging!

Hi :)

IMO when clients say this they have A. Picked off Shellec/gel/acrylic and are scared to show you the results of this OR most likely option B.they are skint :o:o

xx

When my clients say this to me I usually give them my "confused look". And then I say something like, "you don't actually mean that, right?" and follow with a quick explanation of the fact that nails do not breathe and that nails appear a little weaker after removal due a lack of contact with air.

And then I make sure I tell them that I understand if they want to temporarily discontinue the service because they are saving up for something else (I never imply -- actually I don't ever even think of my clients being 'skint' -- surely we can have some empathy for people who need to budget their income????) or if they don't have time for it, but please don't take a break to let your nails breathe.

The clients usually appreciate the understanding and end up making the interval between treatments a little longer instead of stopping altogether.

thank you so much for all your replies....i have given her solar oil to use, although when she comes for appointments there is no shellac left on as she has taken it off 'to safe me time' aarrgghhh!!! and it is every 3-4 weeks she has it done and this time one of her nails had split so she blamed the Shellac :( - i will take on board what you have all said next time someone says they want their nails to 'breathe' :)

thank you so much for all your replies....i have given her solar oil to use, although when she comes for appointments there is no shellac left on as she has taken it off 'to safe me time' aarrgghhh!!! and it is every 3-4 weeks she has it done and this time one of her nails had split so she blamed the Shellac :( - i will take on board what you have all said next time someone says they want their nails to 'breathe' :)

Some clients are just like that. For some reason some people have a hard time accepting responsibility for their own behaviors. So they find fault in the product/service that they are using. There is not much you can do to change these people's mind. The only thing you can do when they complain is say "I haven't experienced any other problems from my other clients when they are using their solar oil regularly."

You can also try comparing it to hair (as others have stated). Explain how it is all made up of the same thing and that your nails need regular conditioning just like your hair does.

Hey,I have heard this for years & just say your nails don't need to "breathe" as such & if you're worried about nourishment that is the cuticle's job which is where cuticle oil comes in!!

thanks again..some good replies :) what about when nails have split or peeled?? they blame that on the Shellac too??

Latest posts

Back