Cloud based software

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daydreams01

Reaction score
Hi, my salon software system has completely let me down. I have been without it for a week now and have had to revert to an appointment book until it gets fixed. Its a nightmare, although I can remember a fair few of my bookings, exact times are a bit iffy and I know there's some I have forgotten but all my client details are on the database so can't even ring them to check.
My software company sent me out a new hard drive which finally came today 6 days after I reported the problem, but that didn't work so They now need to send me a new Computer as its still under warranty. Have no clue who to expect in tomorrow and not knowing what my free slots are to offer people is making me look so unprofessional. Can't believe it has happened at our busiest time, I'm tearing my hair out. It has made me realise though that once it is fixed and I have all my client info back ( it is all on a back up disk which they will re import once the system is installed on new computer) I need to change my software and go to a company that stores it all in a cloud so that it can be accessed remotely from any device. I don't want to be in a situation again where the computer fails and I can't access any info.

Does anyone have any recommendations as there are so many to choose from. I think my current provider is a bit outdated as although it does my text reminders, there is no online booking facility or Facebook link and I have not been impressed with the support since it has gone wrong as I spent a few thousand on purchasing the equipment less than 18 months ago and they aren't exactly rushing to rectify the situation despite it being my busiest time of year and they are losing out too cos none of my text messages can get sent out. I have looked at phorest which is a cloud based system that looks quite good but wondered if anyone else is using something similar that manages bookings, stock, commission etc. Will look to swap over in the new year so Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Choosing the right software for your business is really important. I work for Kitomba and our new Kitomba One software is a great option for small-medium size salons. With packages starting from £10 a month, you get a great appointment book, online booking, sms and email reminders and heaps more. Plus, we have a 30 day free trial so if you're interested you can sign up and have a play - it will also beat using a paper book, while you wait for your current provider to sort out their system. Take a look at www.kitomba.com/uk/free-trial

Best of luck with your decision.

Paula

I use Timely. The customer service is fantastic. It's maybe not as complex as Phorest for example, but I'm on my own at the moment, so it's great for me and very simple to use.

HTH x

We use phorest. That's cloud based and you can do online bookings. U can have the software put onto your laptop or ipdad as well as your main Computer. So my boss can see it at home too. It's brilliant x

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for all the tips, will do some research, my software has now been put onto my laptop so can finally access Bookings etc today while waiting for them to send me a new computer as apparently the problem lies with that now. I have also heard about salon iris so will look into that too. Haven't heard of kitomba, is it a cloud based system?

Hi check out hive salon software it's really clean and very easy to use. Iv used a number of different software a over the last 15 years in various jobs but you cannot beat a 3 click solution. It's a no brainer to me.

Hi check out hive salon software it's really clean and very easy to use. Iv used a number of different software a over the last 15 years in various jobs but you cannot beat a 3 click solution. It's a no brainer to me.

Hi Lauren, do you work for hive? Was wondering what a typical monthly charge would be as changing to a cloud based system is on my to do list for this year but not sure how affordable it is compared to my current provider.

Hi daydreams01 unfortunately I don't work for Hive iv just had a lot of experience working in various salons in different countries over my 15 years. Iv used shortcuts, salon genius, Phorest and recently was transformed when I found this fully cloud based salon software. Over the years my bosses were told practically conned into paying thousands for salon software. Cloud software is the way forward especially with a system like hive. I can use it on any device laptop, tablet or my iPhone. It looks the same on all devices with all functionalities working all the time. Phorest is not cloud based you can only look at your appointments online, which is no good if you are at home and decide to do some marketing or want to check reports or progress for the day. Cloud means you can view everything on any device. I pay €69.99 pm for my system which has 13 modules and access for 6 users. Just contact them and check it out yourself, you will even be able to use it on your current PC. Sorry about the rant but I think some of these salon software companies need to come here and justify the charges that they charge us. Kitomba is also good but I think it only has 5/6 features so it's not up to what hive has.

Thanks for that, it does work out dearer than what I pay at the mo but had such a nightmare with my hard drive crashing and having to borrow my sons laptop for last 6 weeks while it's being repaired. It's made me realise I really want a cloud based system this year but need to get the quiet months out the way first! Will definatly give them a ring once I know I can afford it.

Choosing the right software for your business is really important. I work for Kitomba and our new Kitomba One software is a great option for small-medium size salons. With packages starting from £10 a month, you get a great appointment book, online booking, sms and email reminders and heaps more. Plus, we have a 30 day free trial so if you're interested you can sign up and have a play - it will also beat using a paper book, while you wait for your current provider to sort out their system. Take a look at www.kitomba.com/uk/free-trial

Best of luck with your decision.

Paula

Is the customisable reporting of your business included in the price? This seems very reasonable compared to the other salon software companies out there

Thanks for that, it does work out dearer than what I pay at the mo but had such a nightmare with my hard drive crashing and having to borrow my sons laptop for last 6 weeks while it's being repaired. It's made me realise I really want a cloud based system this year but need to get the quiet months out the way first! Will definatly give them a ring once I know I can afford it.

Hi how much do you pay at the moment. I don't know how it works out dearer as there is no upfront fee for your PC, printer, cash drawer or bar code scanner. I had my own laptop and I paid €395 (£300) for a small wireless printer and a cash drawer. Now I pay €69.99 which is about £50.00 per month for 13 features. Its very affordable in my eyes. In previous jobs my boss had paid up to €5,000 (£4,000) to buy the system then approx €99 (£79) per month. What are system you using now and how much does it cost.

I paid for my software and equipment outright which was a few thousand (good old dad helped me out!) and now just pay a monthly text fee which varies depending on how many messages go out or if I run a marketing campaign so anything between £20-40 a month.. I'm with salon advantage and at the time they appealed because you don't have to renew the license annually like you do with a lot of the others so worked out quite affordable once I had paid the initial cost for the equipment and software. I think they have changed their packages now as when I looked on their website you can't do it like that anymore and pay a monthly rental for the equipment which works out dearer.
I was really happy until my hard drive crashed in November . Although the PC is still under warranty and is being repaired, it's taken far too long and I can see the benefits of a cloud system now. They can upgrade me to their latest version which does on line bookings but it's still not cloud based so if I'm going to pay the extra money each month for that, I may as well have the cloud functionality as like you say it's the way forward.

WHen I change I won't need to buy new equipment but imagine there is a fee for the software?

I use Timely. The customer service is fantastic. It's maybe not as complex as Phorest for example, but I'm on my own at the moment, so it's great for me and very simple to use.

HTH x

Hi, I have been looking at some info from timely, I know you said your on your own at the mo but can it work out staff commissions for services & retail?

Hi, I have been looking at some info from timely, I know you said your on your own at the mo but can it work out staff commissions for services & retail?

You might want to check out youreontime.com, it has this function.

Hi there, Why don't you come take a look at Salon Tracker, we have state of the art online features and free and unlimited support and updates! There is of course a 14 day trial to see if it would help benefit you first. I hope this helps! Good luck with your search!

I would recommend phorest... Looked at hive but wouldn't rate it in comparison to phorest! The marketing tools are amazing and i have used it for the past 10 years and it's extremely reliable!

I'm thinking about trying a demo of phorest could anyone give me a rough price just to give me some kind of idea on what to expect please?

I looked into phorest some years ago and found it prohibitively expensive - not just the purchase but the monthly running costs.

You're best contacting them for up to date info.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi daydreams01 unfortunately I don't work for Hive iv just had a lot of experience working in various salons in different countries over my 15 years. Iv used shortcuts, salon genius, Phorest and recently was transformed when I found this fully cloud based salon software. Over the years my bosses were told practically conned into paying thousands for salon software. Cloud software is the way forward especially with a system like hive. I can use it on any device laptop, tablet or my iPhone. It looks the same on all devices with all functionalities working all the time. Phorest is not cloud based you can only look at your appointments online, which is no good if you are at home and decide to do some marketing or want to check reports or progress for the day. Cloud means you can view everything on any device. I pay €69.99 pm for my system which has 13 modules and access for 6 users. Just contact them and check it out yourself, you will even be able to use it on your current PC. Sorry about the rant but I think some of these salon software companies need to come here and justify the charges that they charge us. Kitomba is also good but I think it only has 5/6 features so it's not up to what hive has.

Phorest is cloud based

I would recommend get timely.. For me it does everything and monthly payments so it's very affordable. Xxx

Latest posts

Back