CND Shellac discolouring

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I really hope someone can help, it’s driving me crazy!

I have a new client who I did a shellac French manicure for last week. She messaged me and sent me a picture the next day to say that it had discoloured. I went through all the things that could have caused it, like strong coloured foods, fake tan, cleaning products hair dye even her shampoo… She said that she hadn’t come into contact with any of them. I arranged to redo them for free as a good will gesture. Then last night she has messaged me again and the same thing has happened! This time she had a colour. She’s saying it has to be the polish.

I’ve been using CND Shellac for 5 years had this happen once in that time and it was from curry. I’ve used my products on several other clients in the mean time with no problems.

Attachments

• 12804003_10153236381581557_1363874100_n.jpg
    12804003_10153236381581557_1363874100_n.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 12825565_10153250626046557_1193058470_n.jpg
    12825565_10153250626046557_1193058470_n.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 231
I'd say it's her unless you have contaminated your topcoat somehow?

If none of your other clients have the same problem, it's got to be something she is using/touching

As its not discoloured the whole nail evenly, only the tips, it seems like something the client is doing?
My first thoughts were that it looked like cigarette staining but it's not on the right fingers, and she would have to be smoking like a chimney to stain them that quickly!

What about newspaper? Or baby oil or something like that?

Thank you for your help. I haven't asked her about baby oil. I couldn't think of anything else to ask about. x

In the past culprits for me...... New handbag, dye of trousers.

If you're using Xpress 5 this happened to one of my clients with French when I applied it too thickly

I do use Xpress 5 but its happened on both french and colour for her but not any other clients? :confused:

She's now insisting it must be the polish. :( I've done 9 sets of Shellac in the last week and hers is the only one I'm have a problem with.

If it was the polish it would be all over the nails, as makenna says.

I had this recently, it turned out to be some fabric that my clients sews with regularly. Who'd have thought it?! Anyway now she sticks bits of microporous tape on her nails when she's sewing then peels it off after and they've been great ever since. She sent me a pic of her with her tape on
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1457990266.845377.jpg

So it can be stupid things that you'd never think it would be.

Gloves? It's definitely her, not you.

That's brilliant who'd have thought it would of been that? :)

Gloves? It's definitely her, not you.

Thank you for saying that. It's making me feel rubbish. I have asked her about gloves.

She won't take any responsibility for it. She insists it's the polish. I think part of the problem is, she has asked her friends on Facebook what they think could be the cause of it and they have told her that, it is never the clients fault. o_O That I must be mixing my products or they are off and that Shellac is a cheap nasty product and she shouldn’t use me again and they should do her nails. Which is really frustrating as I pride myself on offering a premium service, with premium products.

Screw her. You don't need clients like that. I hope you won't be redoing for free.

Screw her. You don't need clients like that. I hope you won't be redoing for free.

Not again, I won't. I've never had this happen to me in 5 years.

Has anyone heard of Shellac oxidising in the uv light? She's just said it could be that? Why would it rust?

Have you told her none of your other clients have this problem?
She's being ridiculous now. I'd be getting annoyed if I was you.

Ye
Have you told her none of your other clients have this problem?
She's being ridiculous now. I'd be getting annoyed if I was you.
Yes I've told her. I hate it as I work hard to look after my reputation. That's why it has upset me.

Has anyone heard of Shellac oxidising in the uv light? She's just said it could be that? Why would it rust?
Why would she think it's that? I'm not a scientist by any means but I think she's just trying her luck now. I've never heard of Shellac 'oxidising' but if oxygen discoloured Shellac then we would all be walking around with brown nails.

Latest posts

Back