CND UV lamps - solution may not agree with everyone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be furious if we had to buy a new formula of shellac for an LED curable lamp! Livid!!!!

Well... One day my cnd lamp kicked the bucket, I was naive and thought that since I had this power house, high quality lamp it would last. Wrong! Since this was early morning when it died and I had 3 more appointments that afternoon I panicked. I am a 5 hour round trip drive to the nearest supply store and couldn't cancel and wait days for a new one to come in the mail. *I had grad nails to do* so I did what any desperate woman would do. I went down to shoppers and bought a cheap led light, Sally Hanson to be exact. Figured what the heck, as long as they last to survive grad I will deal with the aftermath later. Explained the situation to everyone, they shrugged it off and didn't care. It cured the cnd like crazy! I have a different led light as well that I use for Gelish etc but turn to old Charlie every time for cnd and he has never let me down. I beat the crap out of that lamp and it keeps ticking, when I knock him off the table because he's so little one of my clients always says "Go home Charlie, your drunk." once all my cnd product is used up poor Charlie will be retired. He's almost a year old. I returned my cnd lamp and got a refund and never bought another one.

Epic response !

I don't know a lot about LED but is it not the same as UV ?

Surrey Girl through and through x

Both UV lamp and LED lamp emit UV light, the only difference is in the wavelength of the light.

This is amazing, I've had loads of problems with the CND lamp over the 4 years. I love Shellac and dont want to change product but am thinking of buying a LED lamp for use with IBX but it would be such a bonus if it cured Shellac too. For those using "non" standard lamps could you let me know what you using and how long your cure times are.

Karaxxx

This is amazing, I've had loads of problems with the CND lamp over the 4 years. I love Shellac and dont want to change product but am thinking of buying a LED lamp for use with IBX but it would be such a bonus if it cured Shellac too. For those using "non" standard lamps could you let me know what you using and how long your cure times are.

Karaxxx

I use my nsi lamp. Cute times are the same. No problems at all.

Well... One day my cnd lamp kicked the bucket, I was naive and thought that since I had this power house, high quality lamp it would last. Wrong! Since this was early morning when it died and I had 3 more appointments that afternoon I panicked. I am a 5 hour round trip drive to the nearest supply store and couldn't cancel and wait days for a new one to come in the mail. *I had grad nails to do* so I did what any desperate woman would do. I went down to shoppers and bought a cheap led light, Sally Hanson to be exact. Figured what the heck, as long as they last to survive grad I will deal with the aftermath later. Explained the situation to everyone, they shrugged it off and didn't care. It cured the cnd like crazy! I have a different led light as well that I use for Gelish etc but turn to old Charlie every time for cnd and he has never let me down. I beat the crap out of that lamp and it keeps ticking, when I knock him off the table because he's so little one of my clients always says "Go home Charlie, your drunk." once all my cnd product is used up poor Charlie will be retired. He's almost a year old. I returned my cnd lamp and got a refund and never bought another one.

So, did I understand correctly you cure your CND Shellac with a LED lamp??? And the Shellac lasts fine? How long do you cure it for? Thats so good if correct. Although im now in the position that my UV CND lamp broke on Friday(still in warranty) need a new one asap but would rather have an LED lamp as its faster & I want IBX. Was going to buy a spare CND UV lamp (when theyre in stock!!!!)as back up as ive just got my fingers burnt, but if theres an LED on its way I dont want 3 lamps! And the expense. Wonder how long the CND LED lamps will be?????

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's ridiculous! So basically your uv lamp is b****** but it's okay because cnd are bringing out a new LED lamp which will probably cost £50 to make (maybe by some poor soul in china) and they will retail it for a good three figures. You then have to restock and start again.

Cnd Shellac is fantastic - I cannot fault it, apart from the new open road collection which I think is hideous. What I don't agree with is the enforcement of uv lamps and products,

Last edited by a moderator:
i had no choice but to use my nsi lamp,same cure times, there were no problems at all ,no ones fingers have fallen off etc , but i have managed to borrow a cnd brisa lamp, i have never thought of using my gelish led lamp with shellac, but i will try now on myself xx

Oh look my post has been edited.

Oh look my post has been edited.

Just to clarify for anyone reading this comment...nothing was removed from your post however a swear word was asterisked out, nothing more nothing less. Normally the site automatically asterisks out the s**t word but obviously adding bull in front confuses the system ;)
Nothing sinister and nothing edited out of your post.

Just to clarify for anyone reading this comment...nothing was removed from your post however a swear word was asterisked out, nothing more nothing less. Normally the site automatically asterisks out the s**t word but obviously adding bull in front confuses the system ;)

No it wasn't said in anger lol

More like " oooh ark at that" lol

Bet ya any money you won't have to rebuy all your stock for the Led light. "Joins the tin hat club" old Charlie (my led lamp) has a sweet spot for CND

My new Essie LED lamp AND my daughters Red Carpet LED lamp both cure CND Shellac as well as Gelish ... Tin hat on and sitting under my desk

Hehe this made me chuckle, computers being confused by a bit of bull hehe

All we need is Geeg to join us.

You need me for something? How can I help you?

Now that's what I call a quick response, Gigi!
I was lead (or should that be LED), to believe that the CND lamp was the only lamp that could be guaranteed to cure CND Shellac thoroughly, not under or over curing, which would not be detected by eye alone. Is that still the case, or will a generic UV lamp do the job, but invalidate your insurance due to mis-use of products or system? Mmmm, a little perplexed!

Now that's what I call a quick response, Gigi!
I was lead (or should that be LED), to believe that the CND lamp was the only lamp that could be guaranteed to cure CND Shellac thoroughly, not under or over curing, which would not be detected by eye alone. Is that still the case, or will a generic UV lamp do the job, but invalidate your insurance due to mis-use of products or system? Mmmm, a little perplexed!

That is still the case Alison. CND will only guarantee perfect cure with the specific CND lamp.

I have seen hundreds of different UV lamps . Is there such a thing as a generic lamp? I don't think so. They all vary in many different ways, to the number of bulbs, the distance from the bulbs, the strength of the bulbs and quality over all of the instrument.

What exactly is perplexing you?

Geeg, while we have you here on this thread, do you happen to know the answer to the formula question? I'm with you on not being in a hurry to switch to LED, but do you know if the shellac formula is going to change in order to make it LED curable when the LED lamp is released (which now seems quite imminent after the live chat with Jan Arnold)? Meaning, will we all be buying a different formula of shellac eventually (or has it already been reformulated to be LED curable)? Or is CND creating an LED lamp that emits a specific range of UV light that will now cure the same formulation of a polish that was previously not LED curable? Or are you not privy to this information yet?

In all honesty a lamp is a lamp. The brand CND doesn't make it any more spectacular it just makes it a brand. There are a million lamps out there that will do the job. I have a stock standard UV lamp and I know people who use eBay ones. Seriously, the lamps emit the same UV, it's all the same! I would personally get on eBay and get a lamp that's of the same wattage and UV level and be done with it. I've had my no name brand UV lamp for a year with zero problems and have only had to change my bulbs. That's it. Each to their own I guess but this is why I don't buy into brand labels because all you pay for is the brand. My epic nail shellac is as good as CND so ill use epic nail as it's more cost effective and has a bigger range. I'm not saying for everyone to jump ship from CND but I'm saying that you do what you've got to do. Would you rather lose your appointments or would you rather make the most of what you can to make it work.

Most people don't pay that much attention to the lamp anyway.

I feel like there are certain things that major companies tell us plebs that convince us their product is superior to all others and that their brand is all you need and all that will do the job. It's mostly just a money making ploy because CND won't make as much money from you if you don't buy their lamp and all the bits that go with it. Just match what you need in terms of lamp and get something else I guess.

Latest posts

Back