CND UV lamps - solution may not agree with everyone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geeg, while we have you here on this thread, do you happen to know the answer to the formula question? I'm with you on not being in a hurry to switch to LED, but do you know if the shellac formula is going to change in order to make it LED curable when the LED lamp is released (which now seems quite imminent after the live chat with Jan Arnold)? Meaning, will we all be buying a different formula of shellac eventually (or has it already been reformulated to be LED curable)? Or is CND creating an LED lamp that emits a specific range of UV light that will now cure the same formulation of a polish that was previously not LED curable? Or are you not privy to this information yet?

It is my assumption that the formula will not change. There are millions of technicians who are quite happy to use the normal CND UV lamp and will continue to do so. Shellac needs to cure equally well with both lamps.

I would think the new lamp will be made to accommodate the present formula. It is a logical conclusion. But I have never asked the question ... Maybe I need to speak to Dr. Dave Valia.

Hi Gigi, I guess being new to the industry, I read comments from nail techs who use any type of UV lamp to cure CND Shellac, and are convinced they do the same job. Having read your comments and several articles by Doug Schoon (sorry if his name is a little different), I was quite happy with the science behind CND Shellac/CND lamp. What I find perplexing is buying the CND polish/lamp, and seeing others query the use of the lamp. By generic lamp, I meant any 36w UV lamp, irrespective of bulb placement, reflective surfaces etc. The upshot being that we all like to think that we are making wise choices, but may have our confidence knocked from time to time. Nobody wants to look, or feel like a shlameel. (I believe this is Yiddish for sucker, but will wait to be corrected if wrong :|)x

I feel like there are certain things that major companies tell us plebs that convince us their product is superior to all others and that their brand is all you need and all that will do the job. It's mostly just a money making ploy because CND won't make as much money from you if you don't buy their lamp and all the bits that go with it. Just match what you need in terms of lamp and get something else I guess.

Interesting that in more than 30 years of working extremely closely with CND, I have never once in all those years ever had a single reason to question the integrity of anyone involved with CND or CND as A company. The very last thing I would ever believe is that CND would lie or put at risk their hard earned 30 year reputation at the top of the industry by lying about their products, systems or UV lamp just to make a few more bucks. Every scientist, every expert in the field says, ”use the system, use the correct lamp that is part of the system". Why do so many think they know better than those who make the system or who invented it, or why would anyone want to dispute that? It's just not smart. If you don't believe in your system or using a system then why not change to another, rather than to bastardise the one you are using?

Hi Gigi, I guess being new to the industry, I read comments from nail techs who use any type of UV lamp to cure CND Shellac, and are convinced they do the same job. Having read your comments and several articles by Doug Schoon (sorry if his name is a little different), I was quite happy with the science behind CND Shellac/CND lamp. What I find perplexing is buying the CND polish/lamp, and seeing others query the use of the lamp. By generic lamp, I meant any 36w UV lamp, irrespective of bulb placement, reflective surfaces etc. The upshot being that we all like to think that we are making wise choices, but may have our confidence knocked from time to time. Nobody wants to look, or feel like a shlameel. (I believe this is Yiddish for sucker, but will wait to be corrected if wrong :|)x

It's called TRUST in the people that taught you and that supply you. Not putting your trust or giving credibility to the cynics that trust no one and have no knowledge of whether their product is cured or not until something goes wrong.

I wouldn't listen to nonsense. I would look to those who have proven their success in this industry and follow their example.

Confidence back on an even keel...good enough for Gigi Rouse, good enough for me, Thanks Gigi, no more worries from me!:)

Interesting that in more than 30 years of working extremely closely with CND, I have never once in all those years ever had a single reason to question the integrity of anyone involved with CND or CND as A company. The very last thing I would ever believe is that CND would lie or put at risk their hard earned 30 year reputation at the top of the industry by lying about their products, systems or UV lamp just to make a few more bucks. Every scientist, every expert in the field says, ”use the system, use the correct lamp that is part of the system". Why do so many think they know better than those who make the system or who invented it, or why would anyone want to dispute that? It's just not smart. If you don't believe in your system or using a system then why not change to another, rather than to bastardise the one you are using?

I would honestly question the integrity of all major companies who make a butt load of money because obviously they want to make money lol. Making money isn't a BAD thing but if they weren't interested in making money they wouldn't make so many different products am I correct? It's not about individuals within the company it's about dollar signs when it comes to profit. I would question most companies due to what I know of the business world.

I have no doubt in my mind that the CND product is a good product. But there are. Million good products out there :) at the end of the day multimillion dollar businesses want to stay in the millions at the very least and in the billions and trillions at the very most. So they will make amazing products and they will create and create and create so that we consume consume consume. That's life. They'll more "must haves" so that we " must have them" which in turn means we must give them money. CND aren't on their own and yes their business money making side isn't built on good warm fuzzy feelings on simply providing a good product. They still need to make a product.

I'm merely pointing out what is well know with every other company in the whole world. They want to make money :) we all do :) which is why we retail items and why we charge for our services because we want to make money.

So yes, if I were in this position and I was annoyed and had many lamps die on me after spending a lot of money and there wasn't any from the supplier to replace them nor would I receive a replacement after paying so much money I would find an alternative. But this is just me :)

And by the way the desire to make money has nothing to do with integrity. It's simply business. I'm not saying question their integrity I'm simply saying they like other companies want to make money. So they provide us with products we "must have".every company in the world does it lol! It's just business. But again. I would find an alternative if I wasn't happy with the product I was receiving etc with so many lamps dying and no new ones to be seen. I have no doubt in my mind there would be another lamp out there that will do the same job. Just a matter of working out which one for yourself I guess :)

And by the way the desire to make money has nothing to do with integrity. It's simply business. I'm not saying question their integrity I'm simply saying they like other companies want to make money. So they provide us with products we "must have".every company in the world does it lol! It's just business. But again. I would find an alternative if I wasn't happy with the product I was receiving etc with so many lamps dying and no new ones to be seen. I have no doubt in my mind there would be another lamp out there that will do the same job. Just a matter of working out which one for yourself I guess :)

We disagree.

We all work to make money ... That's why we work. That doesn't mean we all work only for the money. And integrity has everything to do with being trusted in business and part of integrity is not lying just to sell something. Is that what you do in your business? Do you lie to your clients about the benefits of the products you use just to sell a load of crapola to them or do you believe In the benefits of the products you use enough that you trust and know they will do what you say they will do. My clients wouldn't trust me for five minutes if they thought I was selling them a pig in a Poke! Consequently they'd never buy anything from me.

Trust/integrity in business is a huge thing and one of the hallmarks of a business like CND. They would never have lasted at the top of the tree for more than 30 years if they were insincere, liars, or less than honest. I rest my case. They really don't need me to defend them or their honour as they are known for it. Not all businesses are tarred with the same brush and we will stay on opposite sides of the fence. I'm not like you nor think like you, so we will never agree but based on your cynical view of business and maybe life in general I know who I would rather deal with in business.

I loathe and detest the saying, "business is business". That comes from people who justify the dreadful things they do by saying ... It's ok it's just business. Maybe it helps them sleep at night.

I'm 23 years in this industry , I am self employed and have a healthy business . My clients come to me because they trust me and that the service they get from me will be done properly using quality products and no corners will be cut. If I was to start treating them like eejits ( Irish for shlameel) they would go elsewhere and I would end up out of business .

We are CND'S clients , without us there would be no CND .

Every business is there to make money of course , that's the bottom line ....but I don't believe for one minute that Jan Arnold would associate with shysters ..no way. If you cut her open CND would pour out of her wounds. Come on.

No doubt people have had problems with lamps , I'm sure CND are working on it and are in the horrors over it . But that they have an ulterior motive ? Hardly.

In all honesty a lamp is a lamp. The brand CND doesn't make it any more spectacular it just makes it a brand. There are a million lamps out there that will do the job. I have a stock standard UV lamp and I know people who use eBay ones. Seriously, the lamps emit the same UV, it's all the same! I would personally get on eBay and get a lamp that's of the same wattage and UV level and be done with it. I've had my no name brand UV lamp for a year with zero problems and have only had to change my bulbs. That's it. Each to their own I guess but this is why I don't buy into brand labels because all you pay for is the brand. My epic nail shellac is as good as CND so ill use epic nail as it's more cost effective and has a bigger range. I'm not saying for everyone to jump ship from CND but I'm saying that you do what you've got to do. Would you rather lose your appointments or would you rather make the most of what you can to make it work.

Most people don't pay that much attention to the lamp anyway.

Totally agree! There are many with the same view. However, what is epic nail shellac lol

Surrey Girl through and through x

We disagree.

We all work to make money ... That's why we work. That doesn't mean we all work only for the money. And integrity has everything to do with being trusted in business and part of integrity is not lying just to sell something. Is that what you do in your business? Do you lie to your clients about the benefits of the products you use just to sell a load of crapola to them or do you believe In the benefits of the products you use enough that you trust and know they will do what you say they will do. My clients wouldn't trust me for five minutes if they thought I was selling them a pig in a Poke! Consequently they'd never buy anything from me.

Trust in business is huge and one of the hallmarks of a business like CND. They would never have lasted at the top of the tree for more than 30 years if they were insincere, liars, or less than honest. I rest my case. They really don't need me to defend them or their honour. Not all businesses are tarred with the same brush and we will stay on opposite sides of the fence. I'm not like you nor think like you, so we will never agree but based on your cynical view of business and maybe life in general I know who I would rather deal with in business.

It's not about lying it's about selling.

You don't know me and you have no idea of my views on life Hun :) I don't know you and I wouldn't pretend to understand yours in the slightest. But business is business and money is money. To big major companies anyway. Smaller businesses like us have to run things based upon trust because we deal with limited numbers. But when you build a brand big enough based upon GOOD PRODUCTS that people know and TRUST then you do to an extent take advantage of that knowing that people are going to buy your product because they know it and they trust it and they believe what you tell them! even if it IS the truth. I'm not saying they're lying nor that they're dishonest I'm saying that they can't be the only business in the world that has a lamp that works with the system. They ARE however the only business in the world with their brand logo on the lamp :) see where I'm coming from here?

So yeah, that's all I really have to say on the matter :) don't act like I've kicked your puppy because I've pointed out what businesses do, they make money. I love shellac just as much as the next person but at the end of the day there are unhappy people looking for am alternate solution to make ends meet until the company (S2 or CND whichever it is) can get it's bum into gear. This topic even says not everyone may agree with what's going into this topic. And I'm sure you don't agree with me :) but if we all agreed with each other 100% of the time we would be a boring bunch of people :)

You do not need a cnd lamp to cure shellac. It is a conspiracy.

Sure, quote the science script! That's probably unrealistic too.

If it was me with blown up lamps I would just have a back up brand of gel polish and a lamp for it.

Hey seriously this is this persons opinion mate. Forums are where we express our opinions just as much as be constructive about it. She's entitled to her opinion there is nothing wrong with it other than you simply don't agree with it. We all use different systems because we see the benefit in different systems and we don't all agree with each other or we would all use the exact same stuff every single time. Let her have her opinion. Being mean to her isn't going to make you look any good and belittling her opinion is a form of bullying.

Oh have I touched a nerve. I do apologise. Surely we can say what we like?

Zero credibility? Explain please as I don't think you can judge that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, this thread is going to be shut down soon.....

Okay let's keep our differences out of this. It's only fair for others.

Geeg and I don't really share the same viewpoint. Never will sadly :p

Guys, this thread is going to be shut down soon.....

It's going to be shut down of a difference of perspective. That's all. No one here has said ANYTHING wrong. A simple difference of views. If the thread gets shut down because someone doesn't agree wholeheartedly with someone else that's absolutely shameful because we aren't robots. In actual fact that's why these forums exist because everyone is so different we need to see each other's ideas and pick each other's brains because we all think so differently.

I've said my piece and Im leaving it but I for one hope that it ISNT shut down because if it is it's a poor example of the allowances of differences.

Have a good day guys!

Well, it's Geeg really.

Saying I have zero credibility, she clearly has no idea who she is speaking to!

A worse than usual thread on here!

Posts that demonstrate a total lack of professional understanding. Then posts that provide nothing constructive.

Panoramic, I'm taking 'no sides' with anyone but it's difficult to know who you are with no profile! Who are you? Do you have a profile? By making a comment like that it has prompted me to look at your profile and there isn't one!

If people speak from an authoritative stance then it helps to know that there is some authority there don't you think?

Latest posts

Back