Colour correction at 4 o'clock

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammyscissors

Reaction score
So ive just had a girl come in that was booked after bearing in mind we shut at half 5 . I had no idea of what this womans hair was like currently becausr someone else had booked her in with me ( im the only one in today ) there was no number for me to contact her , so she turns up at 4 o clock 2 inch regrowth and the rest was a mixture of dark brown and black she tried to strip her hair the other day with somethin she got from superdrug (drugstore) n clearly no luck . I told her I cant put a red on as it is as its too dark to show apart from the roots and would need strippibg properly and I havent got time today as it was too late in the day ... my boss isnt here at the mo shes in italy am I wrong for tellin her she would need to come in a diff day and early coz theres no telling as to how long it would to lift her hair to the right level and she cant get here ealier then 4 . We dont open late as we arent busy enough and she hasnt had any skin test or any strand tests for the lifting so god knows what would of happened if I would of attempted to do it to save the ear ache from my boss . I would rather reccomend her to someone else thats open late that have the time to do it then tryjng to do it an hour n half before im supposed to finish . What do u all think coz I feel like if my boss finds out what I told her I cant do it today im gonna have to try n explain my reasoning as she would of just slapped bleach on with 12 % n hoped for the best ?
X
Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think you have done completely the right thing in this situation, I would have done the same.

I don't think I'd even be able to do a tint and cbd in an hour and a half unless it was short hair!

You're boss might be annoyed at you if you tell her what you said to the client but can you imagine you had just went ahead with the colour correction and it had went horribly wrong?!

Before colour corrections, test strands should be done. Especially if you know the client has put something on her hair to try and strip it! Always best to be safe than sorry I reckon.

You definitely done the right thing. You're right skin tests and strand tests plus thou rough consultations are needed before even thinking about a colour correction.

The blame is with whoever booked it in. If you shut at 5 any colour shouldn't be booked in at 4. Someone needs to learn about running a column and timings before booking people in.

Can the lady not get to you earlier on a weekend?

If your boss questions you tell her that you saved her money in the extra hours wages she'd owe you plus potentially claiming on her insurance due to a reaction.

Don't doubt yourself you were right, plus if you don't feel confident with colour corrections you shouldn't be performing them.

I am cofident with them but just wasnt enough time I get a set daily wage and commission rate so wasnt prepared to work extra hours for somethin that could go wrong and no extra wage on a saturday we shut at 4 and she said she cant gt here any earlier then 5 . Then I was told she came in last week and spoke to my boss first so if she says anythin il just say she should of done it last week if shes that bothered . Thanks :) x

Also sometimes your insurance won't cover you outside work hours so check that if u decide to stay back.. I wouldn't tho xx

If you were one of my girls and was on your own at that time I would be very pleased that you made that decision, the consequences of rushing into something like that could be horrendous, I always say come early and expect to stay as long as it takes, and if a tint was needed your insurance would be void, the other girl was wrong to have booked this in and should be pulled up on it x

Right decision babe! I would have taken a few strand tests and explained to her you'd want to see how the colour reacts and lifts with products before you go frying it all. What was her aim?

I would have done the same thing! The person who booked the appointment should be shown/told how to do things properly. You can't book a colour correction in without seeing/testing the clients hair first! X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app[/QUOTE]

I would have done it. You said the salon you work at doesn't have a lot of clients so it closes early... I would rather work extra hard even without extra pay to make the business that I'm employed at, a success, turning away someone who can't come in any earlier is just not something I would have done.. You may not own the business, but if it makes no profit, and closes down, you would be out of a job, not mentioning that you are also building your own reputation in case you move to another salon, you could be remembered as that girl who stayed late to help me out and did a great job so I will follow her to the new salon she's going to... All that stuff matters. But then, I'm very passionate about my job. Just my opinion though.

So you would have done it although she had no strand tests or a skin test? Disaster waiting to happen!

You did the right thing ....

I would have done it. You said the salon you work at doesn't have a lot of clients so it closes early... I would rather work extra hard even without extra pay to make the business that I'm employed at, a success, turning away someone who can't come in any earlier is just not something I would have done.. You may not own the business, but if it makes no profit, and closes down, you would be out of a job, not mentioning that you are also building your own reputation in case you move to another salon, you could be remembered as that girl who stayed late to help me out and did a great job so I will follow her to the new salon she's going to... All that stuff matters. But then, I'm very passionate about my job. Just my opinion though.[/QUOTE]

Its not a question of being passionate, its the salons insurance that will be null and void if you do not carry out the appropriate skin tests, If one of my girls did this without strand and skin tests they would get reprimanded

Its not a question of being passionate, its the salons insurance that will be null and void if you do not carry out the appropriate skin tests, If one of my girls did this without strand and skin tests they would get reprimanded

Reprimanded? Mine would be sacked!

Never ever ever colour without a skin test...we all know this.

I wouldn't have been as lenient as you appear to be ;)

I'm not going to state the obvious that everyone else had rightly said. . However reading your thread and comments I've only picked up on the disrespectfulness you seem to have towards your employer!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm not going to state the obvious that everyone else had rightly said. . However reading your thread and comments I've only picked up on the disrespectfulness you seem to have towards your employer!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

How is she being disrespectful? Some employers would get upset for turning away business regardless if its the right thing to do or not... I'm not generalising but I don't see how the OP is disrespecting her employer, this is a thread for opinions not judgements..

I would have done it. You said the salon you work at doesn't have a lot of clients so it closes early... I would rather work extra hard even without extra pay to make the business that I'm employed at, a success, turning away someone who can't come in any earlier is just not something I would have done.. You may not own the business, but if it makes no profit, and closes down, you would be out of a job, not mentioning that you are also building your own reputation in case you move to another salon, you could be remembered as that girl who stayed late to help me out and did a great job so I will follow her to the new salon she's going to... All that stuff matters. But then, I'm very passionate about my job. Just my opinion though.[/QUOTE]

Lol this is invalid..
Doing a last minute colour correction is being passionate?
I'm pretty sure the owner of this salon would rather turn away one client than go through proceedings of legal action because one of their employees decided they would look passionate to do a last min colour correction without strand and sensitivity tests, and as the OP has stated that this client has tried stripping colour out herself so it was much wiser to tell a client like this to come on a day where they can consult, test and proceed.
It just cooks me how inconsiderate and judgemental people can be!

How is she being disrespectful? Some employers would get upset for turning away business regardless if its the right thing to do or not... I'm not generalising but I don't see how the OP is disrespecting her employer, this is a thread for opinions not judgements..

"What do u all think coz I feel like if my boss finds out what I told her I cant do it today im gonna have to try n explain my reasoning as she would of just slapped bleach on with 12 % n hoped for the best ?
"
"Then I was told she came in last week and spoke to my boss first so if she says anythin il just say she should of done it last week if shes that bothered."

Disrespectful in my opinion.....not a judgement just an observation.

"I get a set daily wage and commission rate so wasnt prepared to work extra hours"..I understand this comment but the wage and commission rate may increase if you have a better attitude and I don't just mean with this thread, we all (should) understand what the implications are for failing to complete a skin/strand test.

Probably going to read "It's going off topic" something else to roll eyes at.

Last edited:
I think it should be pretty obvious to everyone you did the right thing, you didn't know exactly what was on the hair. Strand tests would of been the way forward and then booking her in with your boss at 4pm for a colour correction. If its your own business it's up to you to put the work in not expect others to work for free!!

Latest posts

Back