Colour Correction guidance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimi1101

Reaction score
Hi guys, apologies in advance for huge post...

I had a girl in today who had been getting full head bleach applied for the past 3 trips to a salon (not mine!!!) and had said to me on the phone she wanted to go to a more natural colour. Holy moly, when she came in, about a third of her long bob had snapped off to around 2 inchs long. She had tiny roots and said she'd had it coloured last 2 weeks before. She sadi they kept doing a full head bleach everytime she was coloured. It was absolutely destroyed so she said that she wanted to go to her natural colour so that eventually she could not colour it for a while. I explained that I could get it as close to the natural so possible but couldn't guarantee how long it would stay dark for, and that she would prob need to colour it a few times before thinking about not colouring it. So heres what I did...I put a pre pig on it which was neat 0/43 Perfecton, then dried it in and applied 5/07 and 6/0 with 6% to it all. Left it on for 40 mins but as I was rinsing it was still a really muddy colour. So I apllied 6/0 color touch and 1.9% and once this was rinsed, ti looked much better but still not perfectly even. Did I do the right thing? Was there anything else I could have done? Thanks for the help in advance. :) xx

I think for you to get any kind of a decent result from hair in that condition would be hard. You probably got a muddy colour because of the porosity and I would imagine lack of elasticity.
It's always worth investing in a good porosity spray for these matters as the pre-pig won't even it out. The only thing I would have done different (apart from not do it!!!! :eek: as more risk of even more damage that she would only blame you for!:irked:) is to go straight in with a semi not a permanent. The permanent can be too aggressive on the cuticle giving you patchy, translucent colour that won't stick. The semi is more gentle and will just evenly coat the hair. If you don't have the right semi just drop your peroxide to 3%.

Sometimes though you just have to take the risk and it seems you did it superbly! :green:

I just thought a semi would come straight back out again otherwise i would have done. I dont have porosity leveller but remember learning about them at college, will put it on my list for sallys tomorrow. thank you. in hindsight i prob should have given her an intensive maska way and told her to come back when her roots were really badly needing done and hopefully a bit of repair would have been done...

was disappointed she didnt take my advice on buying some good products too. :( well not from my salon anyway. it bothers me that some people think that if they spend £3 on a conditioner instead of £2.50 it will be really high quality...my pet hate is all these celebs saying they wash their hair with pantene etc or dye their hair at home themselves!!!! grrrr

aye it sounds like the risk paid of for now. . but agree. . . i always use a semi or quazi at most for the first cover up. . . cos it usually holds bout same length as a tint when the hair is fecked and usually puts a bit more condition back into it. . .
its not to late tho, if it does fade. . . when she comes back apply to roots of dry hair, spray the lengths till damp and then apply a 3 or 4%. . . when the hair is that wrecked dampening it very slightly helps even out the porosity and helps prevent grab. . . .

xx

scotty i know you said apply to the roots first then dampen ends and apply 3 or 4%...what colour do you mean? a quasi permanent or permanent? i told her to come back when she feel it looks really bad and then i'll redo it with a quasi next time. also, i would usually charge between £50 and £55 for a full head tint and cut, but cos this was a colour correction i charged £80...do you think that was the right price? wasn't really sure what to charge x

aye always bump up ur price for a colour correction. . .
and i mean a quazi. . . if the roots need some degree of lift then use a tint on the roots only and then dampen and then apply a quazi. . . wot u using is it wella? like spry down the ends and apply a colour touch in 1.9 or 4 percent xx

I think that is more than reasonable to charge that. You have used a lot of products, time and knowledge.
I won't guarantee any colour if the client doesn't buy the correct aftercare. With colour corrections it's always good to work the products into the final bill. Even if you do them at cost, it will easier to troubleshoot problems should any arise, keep the colour better and once the client uses them they normally keep up with it and buy replacements :green:

you couldnt have done more . Do you retail colour mousse? This would help disguise any patchiess. Next time she comes in do a semi and it will take much better (provided she hasnt swam ,sat in the sun or washed her hair with any of the usual offenders)

I told her to come back in when she felt like she couldn't cope with the colour fade anymore. I thought about saying to her I would give her a shampoo and mask for another £10 but I just worry incase I'm selling myself short. Feel like it was a big job but most non hairdressers just see it as going from blonde to dark, just chuck a colour on it and it will be okay. I explained it wouldnt be so much next time she got it done. feel like just coming on here and reading everyone elses posts has given me a lot more confidence! Yes Scotty, it's Wella. Cos I've just opened i've got every colourtouch shade and koleston too, so its great to have so much choice! Loving the clear glaze colour touch!! :) Thank you all and I'll keep you posted when she comes back xxx

ooo the clear glaze pretty.. . . have u tried the crystal glossing technique yet? it goes great when u do the barcode technique that is up in another post. . . .
all ya do is mix 1 part of selected colour ie 6/75 i part 10.0, 1 part 1.9%,and 1part conditioner mask (they say wella lifetex but id say a good conditioner wud do the same) mix it all up slam over the top of ur finished colour and voila. . . pretty shiny glossed hair. . after 5 mins rinse as usual and bam it reflects xx

so if i was doing 6/75 i do my tint first then do that afterwards?

or do this over highlights etc too?

it tres pretty if u bleach up ur highlights and have done 6/75 throo the rest. . then rinse it and then put sed mixture over the lot and it tones the highlights to a pretty matching shade that is still blonde, but jus picked up some of the tone. . . and it makes it tres shiny. . . jus make sure u make enuff to apply it evenly all over. . . xx

I always read hair posts if you (scottydolly) have replied, your like my online colourist ! you always have an idea or are able to correct, are you constantly on training courses ?

( this comes from a very old 42 year hairdresser! :eek::lol:)

HAH, i joined this site because it had the word geek, i am a hardcore geek to the depths of my soul, i jus like ot be top of my game and one day wud really like to be a tutor or something, i jus htink i dont have enough knowledge yet, i am forever absorbing information and ideas and occasionally experimenting. . .
i take this as a great compliment by the way, thanks so much u cheered me right up xx

You are very welcome x

At 23 I think you have a HUGE amount of knowledge and could possibly beat some tutors hands down ! x

24 (whispers and hangs head LOL) . . .

Just a quick update....

Had a call from the girl today. It went like this...'I'm in tesco just now, my colour has faded cos I've washed it 3 times since I was in (on Tuesday) so should I just get a colour from tesco to do me til I come into see you?'

NOOOOOOO!!

I'm so glad she called. Said its really faded, I just said to come back in to see me. Poor girl. Feel really bad on her. I walked past the salon she had her hair ruined in and I was so close to going in and complaining about it. I'm still in two minds about calling the manager of the salon and telling her what has happened...not to be a bitch but if she didn't know that her stylist has done this, she should.

Scott, like Lilly said, you are my hair guru. I am envious of your knowledge!! I save a lot of the things you say (like the barcode thing and your info on the colour gloss) so I can look back at it in the future...in a non stalkery way xxx

hahaha ww shucks, but really i have made my share of mistakes too, and mishaps, i just last night pout up a blog for advice to. . . im not immune LOL x

you should be proud though! x

Latest posts

Back