Colour developer - brand or wholesalers?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penners

Reaction score
Hi all,
do you all use the corresponding developer eg. Wella, l'oreal or tigi or a generic one from the wholesaler?
I've been doing strand tests( for blonde) with a 12% from the wholesaler and it only lifted 1 shade - so I washed it off and used my 9% welloxon and it lifted a lot more, so I'm guessing the new bottle of 12% has lost its strength or been mis-labelled or the tints will only work with the brand name developer?:?:

Question one: How old is the 12% you tried? if its more than 12 months old I would try a new bottle of 12%

I use colorly hair colour and i do not use the same brand peroxide I've always used Truzone peroxide with it and I've never had any problems with it!

Hope this helps! :D

If you're using bleach a 9% will always work better than a 12%. Personally I'm not fussed about the peroxide if it's wholesalers or a brand name. Sometimes it's a case of who provides what percentage. I can only find a 1.9% in Wella for example. Also, if you are using a bleach, what bleach are you using? I use Schwarzkopf BlondeMe bleach as it has a better lift (lifts 8 levels) than ordinary bleaches and anti-yellow agents. If you're trying to lift colours don't forget, as a rule, colour will only lift x-amount of levels. The same goes for high-lift tints they will only lift so much.

The 12% was only 2 weeks old on virgin hair - must be something wrong with it.and I was using high lift blonde( wella) I tried it with the blondor meche system after and 9% welloxon and that did the trick but still quite brassy.?

i have used highlift with both 9 and 12 percent in both welloxon and non brand corresponding and there was no difference whatsoever x

I use both welloxon developer and unbranded peroxides - depending mostly on whether welloxon is on offer or not when I visit the suppliers, I do prefer the consistency of welloxon but have never had any problems with performance. Old peroxide is pretty pants though!

I always tend to use unbranded peroxide and have never had any problems, my high lift tints always lift the amount i want them to! I think it's just a matter of personal preference tbh x

interesting thread. I always use branded peroxide, but my chair renter uses salon services stuff. She says she notices no difference...but I'm just a bit of a snob. I suppose the peroxide is half of the colour, if you are using the unbranded peroxide, next step is to use unbranded tint too? just my opinion. I dont think peroxide is all that expensive anyway, i get it direct from wella. just gives me confidence using it.

in my experience, my high lift doesnt lift as well with unbranded. xx

I think I will buy the wella 12%, its such a pain isn't it when what should happen doesn't,
I remember when I was at college we learnt how to test peroxide strength with a hydrometer but I think that only worked with liquid not creme, have to dig out my Hairdressing science book!I'm sure I got a city and guilds distinction, not that its done me much good:D I can still remember the chemical components of shampoo though - now why does my brain need to retain that info??:?:
any fellow 'old' people on here train in wigmaking as well? maybe I should start making wefts from long hair I cut off? -sorry boring you now I know:o

If this is only happening on test pieces perhaps it could be in what you're mixing, giving it the same amount of heat as you would if you were applying it in your actual service. Or, is your client telling you the truth about their hair? I've had clients say they haven't coloured their hair before but they most certainly have. Even if it hasn't been for a year it'll still be on the ends of long hair. Also, natural brunettes can have natural red in the hair and it's not always easy for some hairdressers to spot. If a test piece hasn't gone the way you planned, or even a hair service, don't always point the finger at yourself. :)

I normally use branded developer but yesterday I bleached a friends 1cm regrowth with Wella Blondor and the wholesalers own brand developer (30vol 9%). The bleach was mixed correctly and left on for a max 50 minutes but her roots only lifted to a golden colour so I had to redo them. Her hair normally lifts to light blonde with 30vol Welloxon in 40 mins max so I dont think the wholesalers own brand is as strong as branded developers. x

I will use an unbranded peroxide in basic 6% 9% and 12% .... but I do think that some have such varying different consistencys and this is where I think it may interfere with the mix and the result ,

I also notice that wella have 1.9% peroxide and 4% peroxide to go with thier color touch and colour range etc and the consistensey is way different to some of the own brands ,
also truzone colour releaser is actually 3% which is 10 vol ,
so this isn't really suitable to use instead of wellas reccomended 1.9% colour touch clients ,

so for the wella colour touch and wella colours I do think you get a better consistency with the mix which helps achieve a better colour result if you use the corresponding peroxide .....

but in an emergency I do use standard peroxide preferably a standard one with a very similar consistency

but its very hard and messy to try and work out wellas % and volumes I think 1.9% would make that 5.7 vol ? .....

so I would rather just buy the 4% and the 1.9%
also I think its purposesly made far smoother and runnier to go with the product plus it contains other conditioning ingredients which I find makes the hair shine more

I hope that made sense lol x :)
I will let Kimmi work out the 4% in vols lol :) x minky
Ps Kimmi the carrot cake was lovely all that lovely icing with those little carrots thank you x :wink2: :lol: lol

Last edited:
let me look at my bottles......1.9% is 6 vol and 4% is 13 vol.

I didn't work it out I just looked at the bottles LOL

Wella don't do a 3% so I've been using 4% CT developer and so far its been working a treat. Just to throw my tupneys worth in there :D

Latest posts

Back