Colour Differences in Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphine

Reaction score
I recently did a client in Rock Royalty. She called me today saying a co-worker also had the same colour, but hers was much darker than the nails I did.

I did two thin layers, and while it looked like a thorough application, she was a bit disappointed after see the other nails.

Has anyone noticed any colour variances in the Shellac line, or is it just down to application?

Its possible that the tech who did her friends nails applied three coats rather than two which would make the colour darker.

She may have just applied the Shellac a little thicker.

To know the true colour of Shellac, just look at the bottle... that's basically what the colour should look like.

I'm always concerned making the appliation too thick, particularly with the darker shades. The wear has been fine, but I was just worried because the client seemed to be questioning my service.

Just feeling a little sensitive, I guess. Thanks :)

It could also depend on where the friend had hers done and if they used the genuine Shellac and also that they both remembered the name of the colour correctly! :green:

It could also depend on where the friend had hers done and if they used the genuine Shellac and also that they both remembered the name of the colour correctly! :green:

This is such a good point Sheila... There are a lot of Salons out there that are telling the client that they are using Shellac and it's not Shellac at all.

Also I know some companies are doing fakes and the bottles look very similar to Shellac, but again, it's not Shellac at all... another good reason why, we as professionals should buy from our distributor so we know we're getting the real deal!

I recently did a client in Rock Royalty. She called me today saying a co-worker also had the same colour, but hers was much darker than the nails I did.

I did two thin layers, and while it looked like a thorough application, she was a bit disappointed after see the other nails.

Has anyone noticed any colour variances in the Shellac line, or is it just down to application?

Beware of fakes and phonies. So many salons are marketing their product lines as Shellac but they are really just gel polishes; hence, the color variations. However, there could be the issue of application thickness or even color combination.

I agree with the posts above. The shade of the colour can differ accordingly to the thickness of the application.

One of the main features of Shellac is that each and every colour is formulated individually, which means the pigmentation is always correct. Unlike traditional coloured gels (in a bottle or in a pot) where the pigments may vary, sometimes dramactically, Shellac is designed to achieve an even colour with just two thin coats.

That's what I was thinking! Seems like the term Shellac is becoming the buzzword to encompass ALL gel polish/colored gel products.

I had a girl the other day tell me her friend has blue Shellac. According to her the bottle was blue, it was not a layering combo. Me thinks it's a forgery. :eek:

A lot of that going around. Wait until you have a client come in to have her "Shellac" removed...and it's not even Shellac, when you've scheduled a 15 minute Shellac removal and now you need 45 minutes - 1 1/2 hours depending on the product she's got on her nails. She probably won't know because the salon she went to called the system they used "Shellac" when it was some other gel system and quite possibly not even a sog. I think most of us have experienced that nightmare.

I haven't read all the replies, so forgive me if this has been said....

Why are you straight away questioning your service?? Have some faith in yourself girl:)

Who's to say that the other lady has actually had a 'shellac' service, she might have gone to one of these dodgy salons that say they are using Shellac but are not or it could be a different colour or she could have had more than 2 applications to make it darker.

I think you need to find out some more info from your client before you knock yourself down.

A lot of that going around. Wait until you have a client come in to have her "Shellac" removed...and it's not even Shellac, when you've scheduled a 15 minute Shellac removal and now you need 45 minutes - 1 1/2 hours depending on the product she's got on her nails. She probably won't know because the salon she went to called the system they used "Shellac" when it was some other gel system and quite possibly not even a sog. I think most of us have experienced that nightmare.

There sure is a lot of it going around. I met a woman who's 'shellac' (from a discount salon) lasted all of two days.

Then her and her co-worker (a woman I did) were comparing Shellac manicures and the one I did still looked fab, the other 'shellac' had chipped after two days. So, the girl makes an appt. with me. YAY!

Anyway, she tells me her 'tech' was using her cell phone to time the lamp. (A HUGE red flag to those of us in the know) Also, the brand of shellac was Orly. OMG...I just can't believe stuff sometimes!

Now, this 'tech' is giving Orly and Shellac a bad rap.

I haven't read all the replies, so forgive me if this has been said....

Why are you straight away questioning your service?? Have some faith in yourself girl:)

Who's to say that the other lady has actually had a 'shellac' service, she might have gone to one of these dodgy salons that say they are using Shellac but are not or it could be a different colour or she could have had more than 2 applications to make it darker.

I think you need to find out some more info from your client before you knock yourself down.

No, you are right Wooshka - I shouldn't automatically think it's my problem.

I asked the client last night, and she says it's a nail tech who works in her shop (she's a hairdresser), and that she's seen the bottles and say they look just like mine. Maybe she just puts it on thicker. (the client chose Tropix last night and they look great, as usual... I'll try not to worry so much).

Thanks everyone :)

Latest posts

Back