Colour removers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikeyfaerie

Reaction score
Saw an advert on tv the other night for boots Colour B4 product.

Now I'm assuming that it's an OTC version of products like Effasor and whatnot but has anyone actually come across a client who's used it? I've seen someone on facebook saying that it left their hair really dry and didn't actually shift much of the colour.

What would you do for a client who had used it?

I'm just pre-empting the possibility of having to deal with the aftermath of this product.

Hi
I have also heard the color doesnt lift too much!

Yes I've seen this. A client also said her daughter used it and it was good, but was is good to a client is sometimes an utter hair destroyer to us Professionals eh!

I have also seen the adverts, can any one tell me what is in it etc if they know, as I dont want my clints using it..but I want to be able to tell them why they should not use it if they ask me. I always tell them about the peroxide strenght of home kits and the red tones and dryness they cause and the fact they are never true to colour in ether depth or tone. I was just wondring if any of the science people out here know what is in the new colour remover? xx

YouTube - ColourB4 Hair Colour Remover by Scott Cornwall

This review below was on Boots website;
Colour B4 Regular Hair Colour Remover is perfect to wash away your unwanted artificial colour. It is the most convenient and effective way to reverse an undesirable hair colour application. Regular is ideal for the removal of a fresh colour application or an unwanted shade or tone. Colour B4 shrinks the artificial dye molecules in the hair, enabling you to simply wash them away. Colour B4 does not touch your natural hair pigment so you are left with the colour which lay beneath your artificial shade. Colour B4 contains no bleach or ammonia and the after treatment buffer means you can re-colour your hair immediately after applying Colour B4 and still achieve your desired result. This Product contains ingrediants that may cause skin irritation on certain individuals, a patch test is reccomended for first time users.

Is this the same stuff we're on about?

Oh, and I have some magic beans too...

So Boots have invented a colour remover better than the professionals have? Shrinks the artificial pigment? Give me a break! :mad:

I tell my clients that it is all poetic licence. I also warn them that if they were to use it, I won't be touching their hair, with colour, when it all goes horribly wrong.

You just need to be to the point with clients. I have rarely lost a client with this approach (I say rarely because you always get one sensitive little precious!) and they thank me for my honesty.

It is a colour stripper, pure and simple.
It will damage their hair
It will be patchy
It will make their hair difficult to re-colour
They could potentially have a chemical reaction and point out that we don't skin/strand test for the fun of it.
If it is so fantastic, why is it not a professional product?

Clients always seem to be under the impression that they can gain their natural colour back with this type of product, I can see this item becoming a nusiance. So irritating.

Hi, I'm a hairdrsser and had to use this on an occasion, where a male friend dyed his hair black ! At short notice and not wanting to risk a bleach bath as I was doing it at his house, I tried this.
It worked well and I popped a semi of 6/1 1.9% after it for 5 mins.
It lifted evenly, but !!!! He only had one colour on and I followed the directions to a t, it includes a lot of rinsing and I feel clients may get too impatient to follow the full process through correctly.

Hi, I'm a hairdrsser and had to use this on an occasion, where a male friend dyed his hair black ! At short notice and not wanting to risk a bleach bath as I was doing it at his house, I tried this.
It lifted evenly, but !!!! He only had one colour on and I followed the directions to a t, it includes a lot of rinsing and I feel clients may get too impatient to follow the full process through correctly.

Why did you feel a bleach bath was a risk? I would have rather done that or not at all than use a otc product.

Why did you feel a bleach bath was a risk? I would have rather done that or not at all than use a otc product.

I was wondering the same thing. I'd rather do something I know how to do than use an OTC product that I've no experience with.

Thanks for the answers to this. I like to have proper answers rather than just "it's OTC, it's bad"! :)

Oh, and I have some magic beans too...

So Boots have invented a colour remover better than the professionals have? Shrinks the artificial pigment? Give me a break! :mad:

I tell my clients that it is all poetic licence. I also warn them that if they were to use it, I won't be touching their hair, with colour, when it all goes horribly wrong.

You just need to be to the point with clients. I have rarely lost a client with this approach (I say rarely because you always get one sensitive little precious!) and they thank me for my honesty.

It is a colour stripper, pure and simple.
It will damage their hair
It will be patchy
It will make their hair difficult to re-colour
They could potentially have a chemical reaction and point out that we don't skin/strand test for the fun of it.
If it is so fantastic, why is it not a professional product?

Exactly my feeling aswell as I'm not familiar with what chemicals this stuff contains and I will defiantly turn them away and I'm only trained with the professional products and I'd make this clear too.

Agree with you all, these sorts of things are best left to us pro's. People are led to believe that you can just apply this and voila they will be back to their natural colour, when the truth is they'll most likely end up orange and patchy!!!! I did a correction yesterday on a girl who'd put an OTC dark on, then used this to strip it, which then left her hair bright orange so then put a dark back on it to cover it up!!!! It took 6 hours but i managed to get it to a gorgeous clean level 8, condition of hair still good..... and she wont be touching it again!!!!

In future if you dont feel confident using a bleach bath.....there are already professional products like this such as rusk elimin8 and affinage eraser (this is a better version), they do the same thing!!!!

xXx

Last edited:
It wasn't that I'm not confidant using a bleach bath, it was an emergancy, omg I've dyed my hair black. I bleach bath in the salon all the time, but didn't fancy doing it at home as I thought I would have more control with a colour remover. And as I didn't have access to one I thought I might as well try it. I'm not praising the product, I think it's a bad idea for clients to use these things themselves. just at the time I thought what the hell he's desperate, so I used it and it was fine.
I certainly wouldn't recommend it to clients !
I'm not a mobile hairdresser and didn't have any bleach either so decided to try it, maybe a bit risky, but lifes all about taking risks lol :biggrin:

Don't get me started. I saw this advert this morning...My arse did that models colour end up like that after. I'm more likely to believe there is talking meerkats.

It doesn't work atal, it leaves the hair feeling dry and damaged!
My friend used it yesterday and it removed small patches of colour from the sides of her head only i applied head and shoulders shampoo to it and that removed more colour that it!
I defo wouldnt advise trying it!:cool:

To be honest , when i saw this advert i was rubbing my hands, all these home colour corrections that are going to be walking through the door. Did you see how easy it makes it look and you end up with that lovely blonde even colour after you apply it lol, I can see a busy few weeks ahead.:rolleyes:

Buffer? Is that a fancy word for shampoo?! "cleans the hair". Sounds like shampoo to me!

What is a wonder is that they can get away with saying "in 20 minutes your hair will be back to it's natural colour without lightening or damage" when even the professional products can't guarantee a claim like that!

But yes, roll on the clients who need their hair fixed.

Buffer? Is that a fancy word for shampoo?! "cleans the hair". Sounds like shampoo to me!

What is a wonder is that they can get away with saying "in 20 minutes your hair will be back to it's natural colour without lightening or damage" when even the professional products can't guarantee a claim like that!

But yes, roll on the clients who need their hair fixed.

Don't get me started. I saw this advert this morning...My arse did that models colour end up like that after. I'm more likely to believe there is talking meerkats.

Hilarious you r girl

I've now heard from two people who've used the colorB4 stuff and they are raving about it. Couldn't believe that it lifted XXL from their hair, their hair is in great condition...

Has the highstreet got something better than our colour removers???

Latest posts

Back