Coloured acrylic - greenies?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasach66

Reaction score
Can anyone help me I'm desperate! One of my regular clients (who is not a well lady & has nerve/depression problems) has banged two of her nails partly off (always doing this trapping in car doors etc) Soaked/filed the two nails off to find greenies in the middle of both nails - she was in a right state trembling like mad. I said not to worry it was a bacterial infection & didnt need to go to the doctors (couldnt get throughto her it wasnt a fungal infection), sanitised etc threw files away and applied her usual BROWN acrylic. I wanted to soak the rest off but she didnt have time so is coming on Friday. Must say I feel sick and anxious and have been in tears- I am dreading looking at the rest of her nails Friday in case she has greenies on each finger! HAVE I DONE THIS TO HER by infilling/rebalancing with the dark brown and not soaking the brown acrylic off? How long should you leave a coloured acrylic on for without checking the natural nail underneath? Have I missed some lifting with it being a dark colour and encouraged the bacterial infection? Am now worried as I have other clients who have cover pink gel & acrylic and wondering if I should be filing/soaking off more often. Only ever seen greenies once before and am in a right panick. Please could anyone advise me where you think I've gone wrong? Thank you x

I'm no expert (hopefully one of those will be along soon!) but do you know how long there was between this lady damaging her nails and coming to have them repaired? xx

I think about 3/4 days ago? She is forever trapping them in car doors etc and NEVER wears gloves etc has hands constantly in cleaning products, nightmare but suprisingly the coloured acrylics dont seem to lift much on her or dont seem to (that is why Im having a panick, wondering if I've missed the lifting with it being dark acrylic!) GOD, I still feel sick and that it is my fault. How long does it take for a bacterial infection to take hold and turn the nail green?

I think about 3/4 days ago? She is forever trapping them in car doors etc and NEVER wears gloves etc has hands constantly in cleaning products, nightmare but suprisingly the coloured acrylics dont seem to lift much on her or dont seem to (that is why Im having a panick, wondering if I've missed the lifting with it being dark acrylic!) GOD, I still feel sick and that it is my fault. How long does it take for a bacterial infection to take hold and turn the nail green?

Well as i'm no expert i'm not sure on the length of time for bateria to leave the green stain on nails

http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unatural/2641-moldy-oldy-fun-guys.html Have a read of Mr Geeks info on greenies.

I dont do any full nails in coloured acrylic but i use the coverage pink on my own nails and if i catch or bang one of them, the lifting is still noticiable. Not sure how it works with the dark colours though.

I'm sure the problem has come from damaging these nails rather than from you missing something, so try not to worry. I think dirty washing up water is one of the worst offenders for providing bacteria so tell her to get her gloves on!!!! :hug:

The other thing to think about is did you lay down a thin layer of clear before you applied full overeage of the coloured acrylic, Some colours can actually stain the nail plate if they are heavily pigmented. I know yellow powder has left a stain on my nails before where I had accidentally filed off the clear layer.
Brown is quite a strong colour and may be the actual couse rather than the dreaded greenie.
Hth
Jen

Thanks for your replies both of you. Been sat by the computer wittling about my other ladies with cover colours on and wondering whether I need to be looking at their natural nails more often now? Cant seem to find anything to guide me as to how long they should be on for or how long an actual bacterial infection takes to turn green either?I wondered about the staining as wasnt applying clear as a base on her until the last infill I did but Im not sure the dark brown would stain green (think its definitely greenies as is only in the centre of thenails not the whole nail!) She openly says she has never worn gloves and is forever cleaning/washing up (a bit OCD) but dont want to give her a complex because she blames herself for everything anyway but maybe this will force her to wear her gloves from now on? Not sure whether to just leave her nails natural and polish them after so I can keep a check on them or maybe a clear acrylic or gel and then polish. I think this will put her off having anything done to her nails in future as she is a terrible worrier (she makes herself ill with it). This has definitely given me a wake up call but definitely wont be using any dark colours for a while (put me right off them) or maybe just gel colours which are easier to buff off the top. How long do people leave a colour on nails without checking the natural nail usually, anyone? Thanks ladies x

I never use coloured powder over the whole nail precisely because it is nigh on impossible to see 'what lies beneath' lol.

If a client comes in every 2-3 weeks and polish colour lasts well for 2-3 weeks then why are you using coloured powder instead of polish? So many are doing this and it is so unnecessary.

Thanks Geeg. My clients are usually every 3 wks and this lady cant paint her own nails and loves the colour brown so she wanted something that looked good all the time. I had just got some coloured acrylics in so used that without thinking about the impliciations of not seeing the natural nail. I have learnt a big lesson! I presume you don't use coloured gels either then? I just hope I don't lose her custom and if I don't, I will take your advice and polish and make it my mission to get her to wear gloves too. Thankfully dont do dark acrylics on anyone else.

I to do not use coloured powder over the whole nail. I do however use coloured gel when doing gel enhancements, and each time the client comes in for a rebalance I file off the entire colour fill with clear, file to shape and then apply the colour gel and top gel coat.

If the lady is worried that polish won't last the full 3 weeks between appointments then how about building the nail in clear, shaping, then use a coloured gel polish thinly over the top. That way you get the benefit of hard wearability but caneasily file off the colour to inspect the nail condition underneath. I don't usually do this at every appointment but every 2nd appointment unless the client wishes to change colour.

Ohh this client would want the Shellac :hug:

I tend to agree here, I wouldn't use coloured acrylics (on the whole nail that is, I do use them for tips and diff. art.), it's to much of a fuss. But I do use the colour gels, they file of so very easy, and it's a thin thin layer...

Last edited:
Thanks ladies for your comments. Definitely going to try and talk her into the polish first and see if she will come in each week so I can check on her nails (for my own piece of mind and hers!) until the greenies have grown out and then take it from there. Just hope I dont lose her custom, we'll see tomorrow, dreading it. Have read very briefly about the Shellac, does sound good, will be interesting to find out how it is removed? x

I believed it's removed with some special "wipes" where the exposure is minimal, but maybe the new D-solve from S2 can be used??? This is just guessing based on the hints from the Sams and Gigi in different threads:hug: We'll all have to wait until May:cry:

Latest posts

Back