Colouring a cancer patient's hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikkiBP

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong place but wanted to ask you professionals. I have a friend who has cancer and is undergoing treatment. She has her hair coloured her brown by her hairdresser but has been told she can colour her hair as long as the colourant is 100% natural. She may lose her hair anyway BUT whilst ever she can she wants to feel 'normal' and this includes covering her grey bits. Her own hairdresser is stumped and recommended she look in high street stores - not particularly helpful. I immediately thought of you knowledgeable, kind people and wondered if you could suggest anything for her.

Many many thanks in advance.

Vikki

we had a client who took in her own colour, this was after cancer and her hair was growing back but was very weak. i cant remember the name but it was totaly herbal and was recommended by the cancer nurses. so there is sumthing out there. x

Hi , regarding cancer patients I would give them what they want but make sure they have lots of test peices and skin tests done first .... I think as long as the skin tests are performed each time it should be ok to use .... I have spoken to a few cancer patients who were on treatment who went ahead and coloured their greys as normal .... but you could ask your client to verify with the nurses as to when it would be ok to go ahead and colour it with a permanent tint ....
I must admit its a very unclear area .... but as far as the hair is concerned if it feel dry or looks dull and lank with no shine ....this is an indication it may be to soon and it is better to wait a little while longer before colouring ,
coloured mousse could be an option whilst it is getting in better condition hth :) minky

Personally I go ahead and colour. Perks them up no end.

I had a client bring a herbal colour in for me to use, she got it in a health store. I was Okaaayyy.... not great.
Maybe it is worth looking for a consultation in an organic salon? there are a few in London. Failing that Aveda? I'm not certain how organic their colours are, but it is worth an ask or a google.

Thank you for responding, really appreciate it, I'll pass you responses on

xxxx

I have Alterna products in my salon which are organic. When i took the range on, the rep also talked me into buying some colours. They are call Yo by Kemon and are yoghurt based and contain no ammonia or PPD.
The range of colours is limited but may be worth a look :D

I have had this with a few clients. They should have a card with what medicine they are receiving. You can then contact your colour company and ask for advice. I have never had to use a natural ingredients colour as of yet and have been able to use from stock but with the colour companies guidance.
Hope this is useful.

Hi everyone,

I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong place but wanted to ask you professionals. I have a friend who has cancer and is undergoing treatment. She has her hair coloured her brown by her hairdresser but has been told she can colour her hair as long as the colourant is 100% natural. She may lose her hair anyway BUT whilst ever she can she wants to feel 'normal' and this includes covering her grey bits. Her own hairdresser is stumped and recommended she look in high street stores - not particularly helpful. I immediately thought of you knowledgeable, kind people and wondered if you could suggest anything for her.

Many many thanks in advance.

Vikki

Have you heard of Trevor Sorbies charity 'my new hair'? It trains hairdressers to deal with cancer / hair loss clients. They focus mostly on hair loss and wig styling but they might also have good advice for cancer patients who haven't lost their care but want safe treatment.

I hope your friend continues to do well.

Latest posts

Back