Common questions from clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shell28

Reaction score
Hi all, ive been thinking about this for a while now and just wanted some input from you more experienced geeks.

What are the most common questions you get asked by clients?

So far (im quiet new) mine has been "Is gel better for your nails than acrylic?"

My answer has been no gel is part of the acrylic family the main difference is it requires a UV lamp to cure.:!:

Hi!

That is also what I get asked alot and for some reason many clients seem to have been miss informed, and seem to think that gel is better for their nails!

I also tell them that gel is part of the acrylic family, and that both L+P and gel will not cause any damage ro thier nails, but an untrainned nail tech will!

Those are both great answers. I educate a lot with questions like: I heard nails can't breathe with acrylic or I took my nails off so that they could have a break, Bio is better because its organic, primer will eat the nail plate ......

I love being able to say, actually..... and if you don't believe me, please, have a look at Douglas Schoon's book

What fun!

I have often been asked
'how long will it be before they fall off then ?'
I reply along the lines of
' well I have applied them properly they WON'T fall off...however if you don't look after them properly they may BREAK off...but if you take good care of them, you should have no problems at all, and will be ready for your infill in approximately 2 weeks....now would you like to book in ' :lol:

Clients will often ask the difference between acrylic and gel. Here are some tips for accurately answering them in terms they'll understand.

Q. What is the difference between gel enhancements and acrylic enhancements?
When speaking to a prospective client either on the phone or during a client consultation, it is best to respond by telling them that both are excellent enhancement systems. What a client actually wants to know is which service is stronger, which one is “better” for her natural nails, how much does each service cost, how long do they last, and how often does she need to come in for maintenance?

Q. Which one is healthier?
Regardless of the system you use, the main source of natural nail damage is not the product, but the technician. Over-filing, rough abrasives and nipping loose product are all ways to break down the integrity of the natural nail.

Q. Which one is stronger?
UV Gels are slightly more flexible than acrylics, and acrylics are slightly harder than gels. What makes an enhancement tough is a combination of strength and flexibility, which is achieved with proper design and apex placement.

Q. Which service costs more?
Gel products generally are slightly more expensive that acrylic products; therefore a nail tech should charge approximately 15 – 20% more for a gel service.

Q. How long do they last and how often do I need to come back for maintenance?
A general rule of thumb is to maintain acrylics every two weeks and gels every three weeks. Of course this will vary from region to region, technical ability, client’s lifestyle and length of enhancements.

Last edited:
im not one of those "more experienced techs" lol but something almost every new client asks me is how long they'll last before they need a new set, i just explain that as long as they come back for regular maintenance they'll never need a new set... they usually try to fight me on this at first because all of the NSS's around here make them soak off and get a new set after 3 fills because they tell them the product "goes bad" after so long
Posted via Mobile Device

Whatever clients ask you, answer with the simple truth and do not use too much industry 'jargon'.

Clients do not understand 'jargon' and they switch off completely if you try to go too deep into the science of things.

• Every nail enhancement is from the Acrylic family.
  • No enhancement material is safer or better for the natural nail.
  • Nail growth is the same no matter what enhancement material is used so maintenance schedule should be the same for all IMO.
  • Bad nail techs and bad clients cause the most damage to nails

I get asked a ton of questions (mainly the ones posted here), and a lot of questions regarding MMA as well (since I live in a region where MMA and NSS take up about 85% of the market) so what I've done is put up articles on my website to inform my clients. They love having that information at their disposal and not always having to call me. It's also a good way for new clients to get informed before their ruin their nails by going to an inexperienced tech or NSS.

Latest posts

Back