Competition how to???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoLimitNails

Reaction score
Hi all

I have tried to do a search, but I couldn't quite find the answers to my questions.

Last night I was at burger king (not good for my wedding weight LOL) and I noticed a girl with beautiful dark skin and a slim hand. The nail beds were ok, not as long as I would have wished, but better that anyone I have seen so far. I asked her to be my model, and she agreed.

So now I'm going to compete:eek:

Then I just started thinking how do you do the nails? I mean do you do all 10 smiles then the pink? or do you do the whole at once (pink and white) do anyone use reverse method?

I have read almost any other threads on comp nails, and how they look, as well as I have been on the side line in comps a few times (even been a model once) But I just suddenly thought if there were other ways, than what I have seen done most of the time...

Each competitor does the nails whatever way they feel most comfortable with and whichever way achieves the best results.

Do a couple of practice sets against the clock and see what works best for you.

The most imporant think in the end result is consistency.

Competing is a fab experience. Good luck! :)

Thanks, hopefully I will be able to compete march this year:hug:
I will practise a few sets so I can find out what's the best for me...

Are you going to compete with l&p or gel?

oh l&p LOL should have given that info:hug:

oh l&p LOL should have given that info:hug:

Try sculpting the nails one by one. White with a medium setting liquid, pink with a fast setting liquid. Then go on to the next finger and put your form on; once you've done that, the previous nail should be ready for pinching. Pinch, put on a clamp to hold the c-curve shape, and get back to the next finger. White - pink - next form - pinching and so on.

Some decide beforehand which hand they're going to polish and save time by not paying too much attention on smilelines on that hand; some try to do all smiles as perfect as possible and after finishing all ten look which hand looks more consistent and polishes the other.

Recruit all your friends as practice models (even if their hands and nails weren't perfect for competition) and use all your spare time practicing! Just like Urban Geek said, in the end it's the only way to find out what works best for you.

Thanks a lot! I will try that, funny enough I had thought about it with the fast monomer for pink and slower for the white, so glad I got that confirmed.

I will start doing models asap! I wonder if my nailtrainer could come in handy too?? at least for making them as alike as possible, and the smiles. I know it's not the best, but I have my salon packed up right now, moving in a month, so for training while I can't practice on real people...

I don't mix liquids, but always use fast one. If the temerature will be low - acrylic will set slower - remember that, so if you're going to use a medium one - setting time will much longer and not neccessary better for you.

I always apply all 10 nail forms at one time and then start doing nails. Always read the rules, becasue sometimes you don't have to create pink&whites on both hands. Most of the time - the hand you're going to paint (and very often it's a right hand) can be in clear or pink, that saves your time.

I start with small finger in pink&white, then do white edge with deep smile and then I pinch the first nail I've done; but it also depends on the room's temperature.

Practice as much as possibe on your model. if you don't want to damage her nails to bad - never prepare them first; just live them shiny or even apply cuticle oil first. to remove - use nail wipe and acetone and wrap with kitchen foil. rest of the acrylic remove using buffer. it's quite safe way ;)

Good luck:lol:

Latest posts

Back