Competitor asking how I did my client's hair so she can do it the same way!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrawberryAnna

Reaction score
Hello my lovely geeks, was just wondering how you would act in a similar situation..
Basically, I had a new client 6 weeks ago for 3 tone foils and a restyle cut (I work freelance, not in a salon) at discounted price as I had an offer on. She loved it and said she will be in touch to book in again.
Today I received a text from a competitor who is known to me from college (ex classmate) asking how I did this lady's hair as this client now wants her to do her hair as she is cheaper but she wants exactly what I did!
Well needless to say I was appalled at such cheekiness! I honestly didn't know whether to laugh or tell her to F off!
I had a feeling this client wasn't going to become a regular as from conversation during her appt I gathered she likes a bargain and hasn't stuck with any hairdresser for years!
Should I say it is unprofessional to disclose such info as well as breach of data protection and that I'm not giving my "creation" and business secrets away? Or Should i just ignore her text?

Hi
Personally, I'd just tell her
Shows that you're not in desperate need for that client anyway : )
X

:| i would be tempted to ignore her

I would just say 'due to the data protection act I am unable to discus or disclose any information regarding this client'.

I would just say 'due to the data protection act I am unable to discus or disclose any information regarding this client'.

Perfect! I would do for that perfectly professional!

I second this response Xx

I'm not desperate for this client at all. It's just - I took time and my knowledge to personalise her look by combining and custom mixing her colours and totally changing her cut and I don't see how I should tell this "proffesional hairdresser" how to recreate it? If she does it wrong (which I heard about her totally ruining people's hair during a "homer") I don't want to be blamed for it as she's clearly clueless otherwise she would've dealed with this client differently with personalised approach! I would not even dream about asking other stylist how they created certain look so I can just take their client and do it cheaper - my each and every client's hair is my peace of art which I'm proud of! Am sure many of other professionals will second that. Thank you my lovelies for your comments xx

I thought that is the easiest way out and totally in line with the law :) xx

She sounds like a transient client that will go to whoever is the cheapest at that particular time.

I would second endless's suggestion of just telling her anyway- either way just because you tell her what you did, doesn't mean she will be able to create the exact same look, and she might even be back if she prefers it. Sometimes it's good for a client to try somewhere else so they realise how much better you were! But it's also probable that she is just after the cheapest deal so it's nothing personal.

I wouldn't bother going down the data protection route, the act is to protect the consumer, so if you keep her colour record on file technically the client herself can request that information.

Just tell her it's one of your secret recipies ;-) x I've actually seen this wrote under another stylists pictures on facebook when someone asked for the formula , x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

If your client approaches you directly for her details your obliged to share them under the data protection act. However any person other than the client has no right to ask you. :)

That sounds perfect to me xx

If your client approaches you directly for her details your obliged to share them under the data protection act. However any person other than the client has no right to ask you. :)

I thought about that too and it wouldn't be a problem to give out the info then (although she would be a very unwelcome client after that! Not because she went elsewhere but because if she wants a bargain from someone else she shouldn't get MY services and knowledge for nothing) I very much doubt she'd approach me herself and even if she did - im on holiday abroad at the moment and not back to UK for the next 2 weeks so I couldn't help until then anyway as I don't carry my entire client record system with me lol xx

I wouldn't bother going down the data protection route, the act is to protect the consumer, so if you keep her colour record on file technically the client herself can request that information.

Agree with jazmine on this.

DPA 1998. It's actually rather important to understand how it works.

If the OP does tell the other stylist without first obtaining the consent of the client, she will be breaking the law, simple as that.

Obviously, the client can request the information (in writing, to comply with DPA) but SHE hasn't done so yet.
Should the client request the details, the OP simply needs to copy out any notes she made on the record card. However, I wouldn't have expected the OP to record in any detail how she carried out the service but just noted the basics to remind her, as and when the client returns.

That's all she needs to disclose.

Just ignore the text.

You don't have to give out the colour formulas you used at all. They are considered proprietary information, even if the client requests them.

I would ignore the message :)

I don't think I'd ignore it, maybe would. Depend on my mood at time of receiving the text, the DPA rule is an easy get out until the customer herself requests the info, but again as said all you need to disclose is colours used and basic info you would have written down, I.e. full head foils, ULA, ULN & 40, 7b & 10, highlift & 10, 2-1-1 highlift. There could be numerous combinations, which was started on and finished on angles taken, weaves and sliced etc. anyway, I wouldn't like to give away what I did exactly as that's what sets me aside from the rest and worth my money (you and your money) but what was used is different.

I think I would be tempted, if i responded, to simply say 'I'm glad xx was so happy with my work that she is looking for someone cheaper to recreate however afraid i am not happy to disclose my secret recipes to fellow professionals, we all trained hard to be were we are, good luck, hope all goes well xx'

Kinda maybe sorta x I've never been in this position so its hard to decide my response. Lol

I would tell her because shes not gonna get it right anyways and tour client will come back for life;)

I don't think I'd ignore it, maybe would. Depend on my mood at time of receiving the text, the DPA rule is an easy get out until the customer herself requests the info, but again as said all you need to disclose is colours used and basic info you would have written down, I.e. full head foils, ULA, ULN & 40, 7b & 10, highlift & 10, 2-1-1 highlift. There could be numerous combinations, which was started on and finished on angles taken, weaves and sliced etc. anyway, I wouldn't like to give away what I did exactly as that's what sets me aside from the rest and worth my money (you and your money) but what was used is different.

I think I would be tempted, if i responded, to simply say 'I'm glad xx was so happy with my work that she is looking for someone cheaper to recreate however afraid i am not happy to disclose my secret recipes to fellow professionals, we all trained hard to be were we are, good luck, hope all goes well xx'

Kinda maybe sorta x I've never been in this position so its hard to decide my response. Lol

I did respond with something along this lines, to what the girl replied "Sok, I figured something myself". I haven't seen the result but I just hope whatever she did she doesn't go round saying she did it how I did it as it could be a complete mess. I know for the fact she would've not done it my way as I trained in different countries with different brands so I just hope the client got something worth her money!:)) xx

I did respond with something along this lines, to what the girl replied "Sok, I figured something myself". I haven't seen the result but I just hope whatever she did she doesn't go round saying she did it how I did it as it could be a complete mess. I know for the fact she would've not done it my way as I trained in different countries with different brands so I just hope the client got something worth her money!:)) xx

Well they say you get what you pay for so she will have a cheaper version of what you do, and if shes happy with that, that's her style and you're too good for her anyway lol. Im sure she won't be saying your works hers though :)

Latest posts

Back