Complaint about new therapist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but I'm probably going to upset the applecart here. "She still hasn't grasped the concept well :rolleyes:"?

She is 14yrs old! Would you not be better off taking on someone older? Work places in our area will not take on teenagers younger than 16 yrs and I agree.

not upsetting me at all.... she is the daughter of a friend who had persistently bugged us for a job for 6 months as she wants to go into hairdressing. so we gave in thinking she would actually want to learn and be an asset to us. its not ur normal set up for employing someone and its not the way i would go about it but she was eager and as we all chip in it makes it viable, and all being self employed it helps to keep the flow going if she is taking out the rollers etc.etc.

and with all due respect to urself to...i dont see how a 14 year old will struggle to grasp the concept of washing hair if they are the ones pushing for the job and their about to start to study for gcse's! :)

im sorry for the confusion i was just trying to share a like for like situation on how to deal with someone without upsetting them.

Last edited:
she still hasn't grasped the concept well:rolleyes:

i dont like being nasty and hurting or upsetting people and like yourself wanted to say something with out knocking her confidence because we have had complaints about her washing skills.
The point I was trying to make, was that you were expecting a 14 year old girl to have the same maturity as a 20 year old with an NVQ. At 14, criticism (however well put) is likey to knock ones confidence more than somebody several years older.

and with all due respect to urself to...i dont see how a 14 year old will struggle to grasp the concept of washing hair if they are the ones pushing for the job and their about to start to study for gcse's! :)

im sorry for the confusion i was just trying to share a like for like situation on how to deal with someone without upsetting them.
My 14year old daughter keeps pushing me to allow her to do a little part time work. My husband and I have told her that we don't recommend this as she needs to focus on her GCSE's. You also need to remember that she will be 16yrs by the time she writes her GCSE exams which is 2 years more mature than 14 in terms of emotions and responsibility. More often than not there is a big difference!

I honestly don't wish to detract from the main purpose of this thread so appologise for any confusion. Back to you SUEM.

I would think that it is difficult to come straight out of college (even if it is an NVQ 3) into a busy salon and just fly. Have you mentored her to the way you like your waxing of clients to be done as she could be just nervous and feeling a little out of depth? Perhaps she needs more time to settle in?

The point I was trying to make, was that you were expecting a 14 year old girl to have the same maturity as a 20 year old with an NVQ. At 14, criticism (however well put) is likey to knock ones confidence more than somebody several years older.

My 14year old daughter keeps pushing me to allow her to do a little part time work. My husband and I have told her that we don't recommend this as she needs to focus on her GCSE's. You also need to remember that she will be 16yrs by the time she writes her GCSE exams which is 2 years more mature than 14 in terms of emotions and responsibility. More often than not there is a big difference!

I honestly don't wish to detract from the main purpose of this thread so appologise for any confusion. Back to you SUEM.

I would think that it is difficult to come straight out of college (even if it is an NVQ 3) into a busy salon and just fly. Have you mentored her to the way you like your waxing of clients to be done as she could be just nervous and feeling a little out of depth? Perhaps she needs more time to settle in?

was only relaying my approach to a situation to SUEM but thanks for your concern mrs clooney, il take that on board.

good luck with the therapist SUEM, i hope its just a general settling in period

Why don't you get your legs waxed by her say you need them doing and might as well get her to do them being as she works for you and then you can see first hand how she does it.

I'm quaified in Waxing and its not my best treatment, don't get me wrong I do waxing when asked but I hate doing it especially bikini and full leg and sometimes this comes over in the treatment.

I know its all about practice practice practice and this is probably what she needs. It is very different how they teach you in college and how they expect you to do it in salon.

I work at a Hair & beauty college and very often become a client for the student therapists and they take SOOOOO long to do half a leg but its just the procedure they have to follow in order to cover their range in portfolio and assessment criteria's.

When I went to do work placement at a salon, the owner kind of 'retrained' me in the best way to do leg waxing and it cut the time down by at least 15 minutes, which in a salon time is money huh?

I agree with the others that mention the irregularity of her waxing appointments. Has this client been told that to get the best results is to wax regularly -I would say every 4 weeks for several months to get the growth and growing pattern more manageable. Using different methods between waxing is also not desirable. I would certainly make sure that the client is made aware of regular appointments with no alternative methods inbetween.:)

You wax her the next few times and see what happens. It could just be her hair, check she isnt shaving in between too, and check how many times she had been waxed before, it could well be secondry hair growth.

I got a complaint in my job i just left, they were perthetic complaints, even my boss said he couldnt pin point what they were complaining about, he really shouldt have told me as it shook my confidence big time. I am a very good waxer, and my boss who is a terrible waxer has returning clients, she leaves hairs everywhere and throws on the wax strip, pats it and rips it off, the slaps in back on hits it, and rips it off again, kind of like the after patting you would do to get the leftover residue bits off, im shocked anyone goes to her for waxing, dont know where she learned to wax. :confused:

The reason people prefferd her to me, is she talks more, they know her, clients are very clicky there, shes so chirpy and knows everything about everyone, and in the salon i worked at the clients loved that.

Check her waxing, if she is good, dont bother telling her if shes the type to take it bad.
They best way is get it all done yourself by her, comment on what she does well (goes a long way) and suggest she changes what she does not so well to get the best results and returning clients!:)

Latest posts

Back