Computer help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
Hope someone can help...:)

I used to have a bog standard dell monitor but it broke...so i started using a tv from upstairs...19inch...it worked fine although it was massive and when i clicked on a site (example salongeek) it was really small and in the middle of the screen...now i have been given a nice little 15 inch monitor and its great but....all the sites i open are too big....and i have to keep dragging them smaller from the corner of the page...:irked: to fit.

Desktop fits all fine...its just the webpages/sites that i open that don't fit....can this be changed and does anyone know how....?

I have fiddled with the sizing buttons on the actual monitor but all that does is move the actual desktop screen size.

Thanks x

I would suggest checking your resolution settings in Windows.

Right-click on your desktop and select "properties" & "settings"

Please contact me if you need more help.

Dan

Aye, that is what I was thinking. Most graphics cards automatically switch to 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 if the analogue TV out connection is plugged in; depending on the resolution of your monitor, you probably want to knock it up to at least 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024. Hope that helps. :hug:
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks both...:hug: ok i did the right click thingy and the screen resolution is set at 1024 x 768 pixels.....its on a slider thing and thats the highest it will go...???

1024 x 768 sounds about right for maximum resolution for a 15 inch monitor. Especially if it is a few years old (newer ones tend to have higher resolution).
Posted via Mobile Device

its still the same though....driving me nuts....my aol homepage is the perfect size but as soon as i do a search or open a site/page its too big for the screen.

Is it your percentage thing down the bottom of the screen you need to change its got a + on it and as you click on it it changes the size of the writing and what you can see on screen.

Hmm, does this only happen when using AOL browser, or are you experiencing it whilst opening new windows in other programs as well?

Hmm, does this only happen when using AOL browser, or are you experiencing it whilst opening new windows in other programs as well?

Its not as bad when i use internet explorer...that comes up with a hotmail homepage...i just never use my internet that way cos i hate the layout....i always just double click on my AOL icon on my desktop and go from there....the aol page is sized perfectly....but when i open salongeek, facebook or any other page its too big and i have to keep adjusting the size...

What version of Windows are you running? If it's a really old monitor you may be having compatability problems (had this before with 15" monitor).

Your best bet may be to find a good priced used larger monitor. However, these things are difficult to assess "blind" so it may be something really simple.

Sorry I can't offer much more than that. Do you know anyone locally who is also geeky?

Windows XP ... Its a sharp flat screen slim monitor .. not one of those huge old things.

Thanks for your help, I'll get it sorted.

Did you get it sorted ang?
Try selecting "view" under the search engine select "zoom" and make sure its on 100%.
If you dont have a "view" tab under your search bar (also shold have file, edit, favorites & help) right click and make sure you have "menu bar" ticked, then it should appear.

This should resolve your problem and bring everything inline so you dont have to scroll along to read all the page ~X~

pips you clever gal...:hug:...the view zoom thing isn't shown on my AOL homepage which is the one i use....(but found it on my internet explorer page).....but cos of your advise it made me look at what my AOL page does have...and i found at the top of my page a tab saying "Window" so i clicked that and managed to set my window to fit....and it all fits now.

Thanks honey xx

Latest posts

Back