Confidence been knocked – hair extension help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammieb

Reaction score
Apologies in advance for the long thread

Can anyone help, I don’t know whether I've done something wrong or just had a tricky client? Its knocked my confidence badly :)

I had a booking the other day on a client who had very thick hair, short, shoulder length, all the same length making it look even more thicker and a block of hair.

I purchased 200 strands for a full head, 0.8g hair......I left no gap between rows or per bond, due to the thickness I done quite a few rows up to the ear line then started on the sides but only managed to get in two rows each side as the hair ran out, I wasn't happy with the end result, the back looked good but the sides needed a lot more to blend the hair in and just have more around the front, the client was happy as she wanted the extensions to wear her hair up but I was quiet disappointed, even after blending the hair in you could still see where her hair stopped ...I was lucky this time but never what that to happen again...how many stands should I be buying for thick hair and how many rows do you generally put in at the sides?

The way I was taught was to apply rows of hair up to the top of the ear line (half head) then start applying at the sides only, from the ear back missing the crown area, is this correct, was it just a case of me needing more hair?

Please help?

Sounds like you just needed more hair, don't worry about it, at least you'll know if the future to order more hair for clients that have really thick hair, maybe order 250 strands for clients that have thick hair x

It will have been more difficult as there were no layers in her hair. If you do come across this again I have advise clients to go for a trim beforehand and some layers put in to help with blending. Yes, I agree with previous post, you just needed more hair and u will know for next time. If I wasn't happy with the amount I would offer to come back to add more. Maybe considering using a 1g strand next time too or even at her maintenance appointment. Xx

Are you a hairdresser? If so when I do extensions on someone with really thick hair I tend to thin it out first before applying extensions xx

Razoring the extensions or runnings the scissors down them after they have been applied helps me blend them but also as I get further up the head I start to space the bonds out a bit more and I find that helps blend them too. I have had this feeling too where the client is happy but you know that it's not perfect, so it makes you feel crappy :(

I had a client like this, it was one of my first ones. I didn't realise how thick her hair was. She was happy, as she too wanted a nice long ponytail and didn't wear her hair down often. I couldn't sleep thinking about that stupid line. So I bought another 50g and asked if I could go back to fit. That solved the problem and I felt much happier. This shows how important that first consult is, and how you will gradually learn to just know how much a clients head is required by looking/feeling! Do what I did, get another client done and your confidence will return :) xx

I obvs paid for the hair too x

Did this person have a big head too, its amazing how much more hair you fit in on someone with a slightly bigger head, I had a girl also thick hair I realized on about row 3 at the back I was going have to start leaving space between row which I don't normally do but it worked out lovely, for a full head I normally do 3 or 4 rows at the sides, but I does depend on the shape of the head, but yes one length hair unless very fine needs to have that line broken up :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

Yes she had a larger head I'd say. It's funny, I can't help but look at people and try to weigh up how many they'd need lol just random people in the street! Ha ha

Yes she had a larger head I'd say. It's funny, I can't help but look at people and try to weigh up how many they'd need lol just random people in the street! Ha ha

As long as the client was happy and 200 0.8 is a lot of hair so its not going to look thin :-D

A full head of 18" on thick hair, I'd buy 225g of hair. I'm sure you can do the maths to work out the number of 0.8g bonds.

I have thick shoulder length hair and a big head so I need 230 minimum. I use this to gauge for clients with the same hair x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

I think the amount of hair you can put in a head can vary quite fastly and also depends on the supplier, a 1gram strand can be very different from one supplier to another :-D

Yep I agree with that x

As long as the client was happy and 200 0.8 is a lot of hair so its not going to look thin :-D

Thanks for your response, so on someone with super think hair how many strands do you think is a safe number to buy? 250 or more?

I also must say, this site is great! I get more help here than the people I trained with.

I think the amount of hair you can put in a head can vary quite fastly and also depends on the supplier, a 1gram strand can be very different from one supplier to another :-D

any recommendations on 1g hair or suppliers in general....I am currently using prosalonhair.co.uk but would like another supplier as they don't always have stock which frustrates me and my clients

Thank you for your help :)

any recommendations on 1g hair or suppliers in general....I am currently using prosalonhair.co.uk but would like another supplier as they don't always have stock which frustrates me and my clients

Thank you for your help :)

If I had someone with super thick hair I would leave a small space between rows as to how much hai aa I say if can vary and depends on the cut and what they want, I have be using sjk a lot at the moment but I think all supplies can have some problems with stock :-D

If I had someone with super thick hair I would leave a small space between rows as to how much hair as i say if can vary and depends on the cut and what they want, I have be using sjk a lot at the moment but I think all supplies can have some problems with stock :-D

Apologies in advance for the long thread

Can anyone help, I don’t know whether I've done something wrong or just had a tricky client? Its knocked my confidence badly :)

I had a booking the other day on a client who had very thick hair, short, shoulder length, all the same length making it look even more thicker and a block of hair.

I purchased 200 strands for a full head, 0.8g hair......I left no gap between rows or per bond, due to the thickness I done quite a few rows up to the ear line then started on the sides but only managed to get in two rows each side as the hair ran out, I wasn't happy with the end result, the back looked good but the sides needed a lot more to blend the hair in and just have more around the front, the client was happy as she wanted the extensions to wear her hair up but I was quiet disappointed, even after blending the hair in you could still see where her hair stopped ...I was lucky this time but never what that to happen again...how many stands should I be buying for thick hair and how many rows do you generally put in at the sides?

The way I was taught was to apply rows of hair up to the top of the ear line (half head) then start applying at the sides only, from the ear back missing the crown area, is this correct, was it just a case of me needing more hair?

Please help?

Hi Hun,

This hairstyle is the hardest hair to work with as its very difficult to get rid of the thick line, and it does require more hair most of the time. Your application technique seems correct but always remember to go as high as you can at the back ensuring they don't show. I would either bring her back in and pop in a few more around the sides or feather the sides in a bit more. Belle

The amount of hair very much depends on 3 very important factors -
length of hair and layers
thickness of natural hair
and size of head (pumpkin or pea!)

Standard fit full fit - on fine to border line medium needs 140 0.8 to 1 g strands
medium to thick needs 160 to 180 0.8 to 1 g strand
Thick hair, short hair or large head 160 to 180 0.8 to 1 g strand.

The Shorter the hair and layers the further into the crown you go requiring more extensions to offset and blend the natural layered and heavier weight.

VERY fine i.e baby hair and/or a small head you will get a half head application distributed over a full head. I.E 80 to 100 0.8 to 1 g stands

Latest posts

Back