Confidence knock on my first Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planky1

Premium Geek
Reaction score
On Tuesday night I did Shellac on my own nails. Didn't do a "great" job but not bad considering it was on myself for the very first time. Did them in very bad lighting and forgot to seal each coat at the free edge. However, nearly a week on and not one has chipped or peeled despite this. I have been forgetting to use my solar oil and have been busy doing all sorts so am actually surprised and happy that they're doing so well.

However, Friday night, I did my friends nails. Because this was my friend, I treated her as if a client as I really wanted to see if when done "properly" in good lighting, taking my time and being more careful with application, whether they would last the 2 weeks and I'd be ready to get cracking on proper clients in November. They looked beautiful when I finished, did Blackpool with Masquerade on top, the most beautiful colour!!!!!!! She was over the moon with them.

She has just text me this morning though to say that 2 nails have chipped :sad:
I asked her if she had been using the solar oil I gave her or if she'd been picking at anything, pulling cans open by ring pulls etc etc and she say that she has been using the oil twice a day and hasn't picked at all. She has just sent me a picture and they are chipped and looks like it's the middle and ring fingers.
Feeling really gutted. I think I've either put it on too thick or not scrubfreshed thoroughly enough. I didn't think I'd done it too thick because I was mindful about thin to win, but it is hard to do the layers really thin with dark because it looks so streaky so maybe I did :|

I'm sure it's one or the other. Just feeling really deflated now :sad: Off to watch fingernailfixers videos again.........

On Tuesday night I did Shellac on my own nails. Didn't do a "great" job but not bad considering it was on myself for the very first time. Did them in very bad lighting and forgot to seal each coat at the free edge. However, nearly a week on and not one has chipped or peeled despite this. I have been forgetting to use my solar oil and have been busy doing all sorts so am actually surprised and happy that they're doing so well.

However, Friday night, I did my friends nails. Because this was my friend, I treated her as if a client as I really wanted to see if when done "properly" in good lighting, taking my time and being more careful with application, whether they would last the 2 weeks and I'd be ready to get cracking on proper clients in November. They looked beautiful when I finished, did Blackpool with Masquerade on top, the most beautiful colour!!!!!!! She was over the moon with them.

She has just text me this morning though to say that 2 nails have chipped :sad:
I asked her if she had been using the solar oil I gave her or if she'd been picking at anything, pulling cans open by ring pulls etc etc and she say that she has been using the oil twice a day and hasn't picked at all. She has just sent me a picture and they are chipped and looks like it's the middle and ring fingers.
Feeling really gutted. I think I've either put it on too thick or not scrubfreshed thoroughly enough. I didn't think I'd done it too thick because I was mindful about thin to win, but it is hard to do the layers really thin with dark because it looks so streaky so maybe I did :|

I'm sure it's one or the other. Just feeling really deflated now :sad: Off to watch fingernailfixers videos again.........

Oh honey, don't get yourself down!
Although I don't do Shellac, it might not be your fault. She may have done something to cause the chips that she either doesn't realise she's done or she doesn't want to tell you.

Keep practicing.
Hopefully a geek who does Shellac will be along to give you some practical advice.
Rhiannon x

Hiya
I remember feeling just like you when I first started with shellac. Keep practising, keep thinking about each stage and take your time until you're more confident. Definitely watch all the videos you can and read all the threads about shellac on here. Before you know it you'll be wondering what you were worried about! Good luck!

Don't be too hard on yourself, as you said it was your first proper attempt with Shellac so you can't expect it to be perfect. Did you do 2 coats of Blackpool then one of Masquerade? If so, perhaps one of the three was too thick. Or maybe she wasn't teling the truth and had done something to chip them!

All you can do is try again on her or someone else and you will find out where you were going wrong. You have plenty of time to perfect it before November :biggrin:

When working thin just FORGET about the colour looking streaky. The second thin coat will make perfect coverage ... Don't know how many times I've said this and Holly's videos show it too.

Peoples own nails can chip. If they do then Shellac will go with it. Just file those nails a bit shorter to get rid of the little chip ... You don't need to re do. Often an indication that those nails were just too long for her (even short can be too long for some).

When working thin just FORGET about the colour looking streaky. The second thin coat will make perfect coverage ... Don't know how many times I've said this and Holly's videos show it too.

Peoples own nails can chip. If they do then Shellac will go with it. Just file those nails a bit shorter to get rid of the little chip ... You don't need to re do. Often an indication that those nails were just too long for her (even short can be too long for some).

That could be it you know, she didn't want me to file her nails down and still wanted them quite long so she just wanted them shaped. Thanks for the tip about filing down, I will do that on Saturday for her, thought I was going to have to re do them and start from scratch on those nails. I have told her to carry on with the oil every day, try not to use her nails to do things with and see how the rest get on.

Thank you all for your comments, I'm my toughest critic and am a nightmare for expecting to be able to do everything perfectly straight away and get very annoyed and upset with myself when I don't :o

I know I should forget about the streaky when applying thin but when I did my training, the streaks still showed at the end and my trainer said I had done it too thin :rolleyes: I just need more practice to get the balance right.

I think it could be the case though that she might have either not been using her oil and doesn't want to say or has been doing something with her nails, she is a bit of a picker and fiddles with her nails a lot :wink2: Just seems strange when I definitely applied hers thinner than on myself and mine is still perfectly fine, even on my badly bitten thumb nail which has no free edge at all!!

That could be it you know, she didn't want me to file her nails down and still wanted them quite long so she just wanted them shaped. Thanks for the tip about filing down, I will do that on Saturday for her, thought I was going to have to re do them and start from scratch on those nails. I have told her to carry on with the oil every day, try not to use her nails to do things with and see how the rest get on.

Thank you all for your comments, I'm my toughest critic and am a nightmare for expecting to be able to do everything perfectly straight away and get very annoyed and upset with myself when I don't :o

I know I should forget about the streaky when applying thin but when I did my training, the streaks still showed at the end and my trainer said I had done it too thin :rolleyes: I just need more practice to get the balance right.

I think it could be the case though that she might have either not been using her oil and doesn't want to say or has been doing something with her nails, she is a bit of a picker and fiddles with her nails a lot :wink2: Just seems strange when I definitely applied hers thinner than on myself and mine is still perfectly fine, even on my badly bitten thumb nail which has no free edge at all!!

Well .. You have probably got it figured out pretty well. As for your 2nd paragraph ... That is just totally unrealistic. :hug:

Well .. You have probably got it figured out pretty well. As for your 2nd paragraph ... That is just totally unrealistic. :hug:

I know :o my husband tells me off for it all the time. I am a perfectionist, get it from my dad, it's all his fault :wink2: :D

I shall practice on a few more people and watch Holly's videos as often as I can so it's embedded in my mind for next time. Think I might have to charge a little from now on though, or I'll be using up all my Shellac before November and won't be able to afford to replace it!

Or, I wonder if my husband would fall for "I need to go on an important and very necessary business trip" and come and have some one to one training with you Geeg :)

Hi Planky, this may come as a shock but clients don't always tell us the truth when it comes to their nails. My BFF is a perfect example of that. Her Shellac 'peels' off her nails. Isn't it funny though, that she is the ONLY one this happens to? Come to find out, she helps it along. :eek:

Anyway just keep doing what you are doing and you'll be fine.

And, OMG...isn't Blackpool with Masquerade, AMAZING????? I LOVE that combo!

Hi Planky, this may come as a shock but clients don't always tell us the truth when it comes to their nails. My BFF is a perfect example of that. Her Shellac 'peels' off her nails. Isn't it funny though, that she is the ONLY one this happens to? Come to find out, she helps it along. :eek:

Exactly. Every time I see my sister I check her nails and ask if she's been using her Solar Oil. She always swears she has but at the weekwnd I saw a full bottle in her house, she hasnt't touched it!

I know it's not completely the same, but I understand the expectations we can put on ourselves. I managed to persuade my husband to be my 'model' :green: so I could practice my polishing technique.

Bearing in mind I am really happy with how I do my own now, even my right hand, I was gutted to see what a mess (in my opinion) I had made of painting someone elses. I expected to just be able to get on with it and create something as good as what I'd been doing on myself. The truth is, I have practiced on myself a lot to get those results, and obviously he was my first practice on another person.

It feels crap when you don't meet your own expectations, but better to have a few glitches now and go forward.

Don't tell him, but he's going to be sporting a very bright pink today! :green:

Chin up Planks :hug:

Thank you, I will just keep practising and yes, it is the most amazing colour ever!!!! I had been dying to do it on someone so am really glad that was the sort of colour she was after. I think I shall be removing my shellac this week and changing it for that!! I currently have blackpool with negligee which is also gorgeous :)

Exactly. Every time I see my sister I check her nails and ask if she's been using her Solar Oil. She always swears she has but at the weekwnd I saw a full bottle in her house, she hasnt't touched it!

Yes, I have a feeling she isn't telling me the truth about it, she never remembers anything, I even have to text her when she's on medication to get her to remember to take it so am pretty sure she's not been using the oil EVERY day :wink2:

I know it's not completely the same, but I understand the expectations we can put on ourselves. I managed to persuade my husband to be my 'model' :green: so I could practice my polishing technique.

Bearing in mind I am really happy with how I do my own now, even my right hand, I was gutted to see what a mess (in my opinion) I had made of painting someone elses. I expected to just be able to get on with it and create something as good as what I'd been doing on myself. The truth is, I have practiced on myself a lot to get those results, and obviously he was my first practice on another person.

It feels crap when you don't meet your own expectations, but better to have a few glitches now and go forward.

Don't tell him, but he's going to be sporting a very bright pink today! :green:

Chin up Planks :hug:

Hehehehe, please upload a photo!! :D I asked my hubby but he's a party pooper and won't let me! Lol xx

Thanks for the replies. Chin is lifted and I shall be doing another practice at some point this week, this friend definitely tells me the truth so she'll be a good one to practice on. I did Minx on her a few weeks ago and it's still looking fab, so lifted my spirits a bit :)

Hi planks and Nicole,

Can I join the get down on yourself gang. God I'm the worlds WORST! I also blame my family tree for my complete n utter perfectionist beyond all reason mannerism. When things go good you're top of the world, when they go wrong you want to chuck it all in. But hey tomorrow is another day. My shellacking is pretty good and I can even do a passable French these days. After olympia yesterday i realise my l + p is still PANTS in capitals. When I was standing waiting for my shellac one of the S2 girls had the most amazing nails on I had ever seen, they truely were a work of art. So more 121 now booked up. But here's to another year later when we are all more advanced it will come in time for us. Anyway better that we are training well than short cutting things eh! Double :hug::hug: for all of us xxx

Hi planks and Nicole,

Can I join the get down on yourself gang. God I'm the worlds WORST! I also blame my family tree for my complete n utter perfectionist beyond all reason mannerism. When things go good you're top of the world, when they go wrong you want to chuck it all in. But hey tomorrow is another day. My shellacking is pretty good and I can even do a passable French these days. After olympia yesterday i realise my l + p is still PANTS in capitals. When I was standing waiting for my shellac one of the S2 girls had the most amazing nails on I had ever seen, they truely were a work of art. So more 121 now booked up. But here's to another year later when we are all more advanced it will come in time for us. Anyway better that we are training well than short cutting things eh! Double :hug::hug: for all of us xxx

Good that you've booked 1-2-1 training, you're at least trying your best to get to a high standard that you want.
I would never want to throw the towel in, am way too stubborn Lol I just expect myself to know how to do new things straight away and get frustrated when I don't. But I feel better tonight after speaking to everyone about it, practice makes perfect :)

Latest posts

Back