Confidence shot but renting room?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ammej85

Reaction score
OK geeks i need some urgent talking to!

I went to see a room last week (which is quite small, but could work if clever with space)

It's above a hair salon and £25 a day/£100 a week and I can rent one or two days a week and build up so I can keep my day job for gauranteed income. The owner wants me to do a Groupon/Living Social etc to get feet through the door straight away, which im fine with as i want to do that anyway and have a Living Social rep coming to see me Wednesday.

Im meant to be going to this room tomoro morning to say what else i want doing to the room and sort out the little details etc.

Now yesterday I did a pedicure on my mum as i wanted to try doing a pedi on the couch rather than chairs (had been searching 'small room threads' etc and seen many people do it this way, also when Jessica came to my college we were taught on the bed but had the bowl on a stool at the side and once we ad done with the wet bit they would then lie on the bed)

Anyway im SO out of practice and it really knocked my confidence and now I feel like packing the whole thing in. I feel llike maybe I should offer a big discount to new clients just in case I end up doing a pants job.

How did those of you that 'returned' to beauty feel when you started work again?

Am i being silly and should just bite the bullet and once i start getting clients in my confidence will grow again?

Im thinking of making my living social a facial as this is what i feel most confident in. Also do any of you have sneaky ways of using cue cards as my pedicure was so messed up, back to front etc which I know doesn't matter too much as there are so many different ways to do them but I forgot to even file the foot and then remembered right near the end - what a div!

Anyway some advice would be hugely appreciated, my fella says to give it a month as it's not a great loss if it doesn't work but then if I sell loads of offers i will have to honour them wont i?

Can you not just get your college books out and revise? The routine for a pedi is not hard to memorise.

It's not just the pedicure, i feel like i just have no confidence in the whole thing. It's my nature really to always doubt myself (although if you met me you would think I'm the most confident person in the world!)

I'm trying to tell myself its like any new job and after a few days I'll be fine, but then there's this little niggly voice telling me im going to fail so I shouldn't bother :sad:

Why would you fail?
Please remember that loads of people do it for a job, it is just a practice thing.

Nobody starts a business thinking it will be easy, also nobody should start a business thinking it will fail within a month. I question your mindset on this, and your commitment. In business, a month is nothing, a year is the blink of an eye. You have to commit to the long haul to be a success.

A very experienced Geek told me the other day that if other people are doing something, then surely it is you can do it. Believe in yourself. Remember clients believe in you and that is why they are coming in the first place.

You know what, you sound like me :) I'm always doubting my ability and decisions and I'm really hard on myself! I think that you need to take a step back and breath..... Then tell yourself that you CAN do it. If you think you could have done someones treatment better, then next time do it better! One thing I always remember is that you can't please everyone though Hun that's just life! You will get back in the swing of things though xxx

Get as many of your friends, family and neighbours together and tell them you need them to help you build up your speed! Women are great when others need help. You will soon pick up what you need to my darling. Just be careful with the Groupon thing and don't give too much away! :D

Thank you folks! I think when i go tomoro and see it again and have another chat I will feel a bit better, then once i start clients hopefully it will all come back to me :)

I find when doing nails I set out all my tools in the order I use them as not to forget a step!

I agree with practising ur routine on friends maybe have a note pad next to you giving u the steps until it becomes second nature again xx

I agree that you should get all your friends in and practice practice practice.

It won't take long for you to get used to it and get your speed up.

I was also going to say that you should put out your tools in order of use. Then you won't miss a step.

Don't worry though, "fake it til you make it" as they say. If you act confidently, nobody will think that you aren't. If you miss something out, just do it after, no problem, you'll remember next time. I'm awful for remembering to get a mani client to put their jewellery back on before the polish lol.

Btw, i'm in a small room too and i do my pedi on the couch. In my last place, we soaked the feet in a bowl placed on the bed. In my current place, my bed is able to adjust like a chair, so i can put the foot section down and i soak with a footsie bath on a pretty little stool thing. Good luck xx

Latest posts

Back