Confused about waxing-legal requirements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muawax

Reaction score
if I was to carry out waxing in a spare bedroom in my house, what legal requirements/business permits/insurance will I need ?

You need to give your local council a call and check with them.

You need to be qualified and insured. You need to ensure there are no stipulations saying that you cannot run a business from your premises in your deeds/rental agreement. You need to tell your contents insurers that you are working from home - a lot of them don't like clients coming into the house, and overlook the fact that you won't get burgled if you're home all day - they assume that the clients will nick things/check out your home!!!
As stated, contact your council - this is sometimes just a formality, but it does depend on where you live.

Vicki x

thank you soo much xx

It won't be to do with whether you do waxing but it will be to do with running a business from home generally. Some councils are stricker than others about what kind of treatments you do but you should just contact your council and ask them if it's ok.

Either way you will need to be qualified and to have your insurances. Lots of very successful business' run from home in the UK so don't be afraid to ask them. Good luck.

Last edited:
if I was to carry out waxing in a spare bedroom in my house, what legal requirements/business permits/insurance will I need ?

You will need to check with your home insurance provider. In my experience most of them don't cover you if you have clients visiting. I have my policy through H & L Balen, it is written into the policy that my working from home with clients doesn't have any effect on the policy.

I also have my insurance with Balens. When I searched for home insurance companies I couldn't believe that your general household insurance companies would charge such high prices. Plus I was going to be charged double and then wasn't covered for any accidental damage on anything in my home. I called Balens and they were brilliant and when they quoted me for home buildings and contents it was a lot cheaper than what I was previously paying.

Without being covered by your household insurance means that your beauty insurance is invalid.

I contacted my local council with regards to working from home also, as I was working in my spare bedroom and could be changed overnight I don't have to pay business rates. I think if you change your garage to a beauty room this is different and requires business rates. A visit would have been required if I offered electrolysis. Give them a call and see what they say as I know it differs depending on what area you are in. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back