confused - please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well everything has its downsides. i think that you should work full time in a business career for a year and save some cash and go on some nail/beauty courses

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the earning potential is of renting a room in hairdressers/gym etc?

i would go mobile then you done have to pay rent etc. some people even want a % from your earnings

chloe2005 said:
Hi,
When I left school I wanted to study beauty therapy but my parents said that I have to do A-Levels. When I finished my A-Levels I applied to a beauty therapy course and got accepted, my parents when mad, so I managed to get onto a business studies degree to make them happy. I am now in the last year of my degree. I enjoyed studying business studies and it made me think about self-employment as I would like to put what I have learnt into practice. I have thought about doing a beauty therapy or nail technology course when I graduate this summer. As I am now 22 I do not care what my parents want from me anymore, I just want to be happy. The thing is I am scared that when I finally get to live out my dream of going to learn beauty therapy/nail technology, it might not live up to my expectations. When I finish my degree there are higher paid jobs I could apply for that are relevant to my degree, but I think I will enjoy nailtechnology/beauty therapy more. But going into the world of nail technology/beauty therapy would be a big step for me. So I have some questions to ask anyone that is willing to reply.
1. Is working as a nail technician an enjoyable job?
2. Do you find it glamorous, or is it only glamorous for the clients?
3. Is the salary ok for someone renting a room in a hairdresser/gym..etc
4. Is it easy to set up as self-employed, does it take long to get clients?
5. Do you think it is possible to make a good salary in time (e.g. about £24,000 a year before tax)?

I would be so grateful of any replies as I am getting very stressed and confused as I do not know what to do with my life.

I am not sure whether to go for it, or to just take a job relevant to my degree. I am so confused.

Hun do what you feel is right!
I did A-levels and a law degree I currently work as a regional bank manager but my first love was always beauty.
I did a nail tec course 8 years ago while at uni but only recently thought sod it my job is so stressful Im gonna get out.
I currently work full time and do beauty full time as well I have no social life my fella never sees me!
Its going to be a massive struggle for me giving up the salary car benefits etc with my current job so Im gonna build my client base up for a couple of years before taking the plunge fully.
Why dont you try working part time mobile at first and see how it goes?

Also dont forget if you've got a student loan to pay back you wont have to start paying it back until u r earning 15k +

I am not really thinking of going mobile. I wanted to rent a room and do nails intially while learning beauty therapy, massage etc, and try to build a profitable business up, and than maybe move to a leasehold premises. I want to do this rather than go mobile as I have learnt a lot in my business degree and really want to put this into practice. It just seems like there are so many salons and people who rent rooms that I wasn't sure if it is that profitable, as I was thinking that there is so much supply, it may be more than the actual demand, and maybe that would mean that there is not much room for me.

vicxzy said:
Hun do what you feel is right!
I did A-levels and a law degree I currently work as a regional bank manager but my first love was always beauty.
I did a nail tec course 8 years ago while at uni but only recently thought sod it my job is so stressful Im gonna get out.
I currently work full time and do beauty full time as well I have no social life my fella never sees me!
Its going to be a massive struggle for me giving up the salary car benefits etc with my current job so Im gonna build my client base up for a couple of years before taking the plunge fully.
Why dont you try working part time mobile at first and see how it goes?

Thanks for the reply!

hi vicxzy,
how long ago did you finish uni?

I suppose maybe I am just living in a fantasy world, wanting to do something I love and earn lots of money. Someone I know rents a room and says she earns about £500 a week, and she started two years ago. she does beauty therapy treatments and sports massage. but i am not sure if she is lying about how much she earns to make herself look good. she pays £50 a week rent for the room.

I think i better get back to doing my uni work, or I will end up failing my course aswell as being so stressed and confused. The more i think about the future the more stressed I get, it is so horrible.

I don't know if it is any help but I worked full time in an office (quite well paid) for 2 years. It paid the bills and enabled me to do all my nail education at the weekends and evenings. It was hard work but I have never looked back! I was with a man at the time who didn't give me any confidence and it took me ages to pluck up the courage to get off my ass and do it. Im so glad i did.

I charge £35 for a set of acrylic enhancements and have got a good client base. I also make false nails for guys so it is up to me how much I work / earn. I love it.

When I went on the nail course, I learned 'how' to do nails but it also takes a hell of a lot of practise to do them well. I never stop learning!
This way, you will be able to move out from your parents, and learn about nails too.

if you are determined enough - you will find a way ... i did! I told my dad about my nail business and nails4males and he said - ''are you still looking for a proper job too?'' Surely you can't supprt yourself with that? '' He doesn't get it that this IS my career and yes I can!
Sam xx

Thanks to the last few replies. It was really helpful to have a reply from people in the same situation that have a university education and whose families have a high level of education. I think that only people in the same situation know what it is like for your family to have high expectations of you. You are both really brave for doing what you love and I am glad to hear you are doing well. Like the lady from Norway I also worry about people thinking that I am not intelligent if I do nails. I think the advice about doing the learning of nails in the evening and weekends is a good idea while working in an office.
I have never even worked in an office so maybe I would like that, i have only ever worked in retail and hate it.
I think I will try and get a job working in an office in something related to my degree, and then if I do not enjoy it, then to consider nail technology/beauty therapy. i think that will be the most sensible thing to do, as it will allow me to move away from my parents like the previous poster suggested.
Thankyou so much to all of you that gave me helpful replies. The last few posts have helped me to make my mind up of giving an office job ago first before making any rash decisions about nails.
Thanks again,
Chloe

I am slightly older than you(40 this year) I have two children and have had various 'careers' that have never satisfied. Earlier this year I decided that as my children are now a bit older I would finally train to do something for myself. I have recently qualified with Essential Nails and intend to take up a further NVQ course in the new year. I would pay other people to let me do this job - well, nearly anyway. I can't believe I wasted all that time! I absolutely love what I do.

Perhaps Essential Nails would help you decide - it is a home learning course that can help you make up your mind. I know its not the ideal as most of the training is done on a nail trainer but it confirmed to me that this was what had been missing in my life.

I know I will never be rich financially coz I keep buying new products and going on more courses, but I have met so many interesting people and learnt more in the last year, I can't believe it.

Anne Roberts said:
I am slightly older than you(40 this year) I have two children and have had various 'careers' that have never satisfied. Earlier this year I decided that as my children are now a bit older I would finally train to do something for myself. I have recently qualified with Essential Nails and intend to take up a further NVQ course in the new year. I would pay other people to let me do this job - well, nearly anyway. I can't believe I wasted all that time! I absolutely love what I do.

Perhaps Essential Nails would help you decide - it is a home learning course that can help you make up your mind. I know its not the ideal as most of the training is done on a nail trainer but it confirmed to me that this was what had been missing in my life.

I know I will never be rich financially coz I keep buying new products and going on more courses, but I have met so many interesting people and learnt more in the last year, I can't believe it.

Im doing essential nails as I couldnt afford toleave my job and go to college etc, and its been the eye opener I needed. Im so happy I decided to do it and I am definatly going to do some creative courses next. If i didnt decide to do essential nails I would not have found this site where I learned you can train with creative over a week for the foundation and its not a commitment to classes every week for a year

hi chloe, i think that if you want to do what makes you happy then it will not matter so much what you earn, obviously you could make more money if you follow into a job from your degree. I turnover about 25k a year of which i can pay myself about 16k before tax. I think it is possible to make much more than this. iv been self employed for just under 2 years. i hope to build up to paying myself more but it will take time. if i wanted to pay myself 24k i would have to take £800 per week. I dont know alot of nail techs who take this by themselves but i know a couple! hpoe this is helpful? good luck!:biggrin:

WELL HUNNY , welocme to the world of nail techs . I went to college for a year and studied travel , didnt like it , i prefered massage etc so now i am on a holistic therapy course but it isnt what i thought it would be , (holistic is massage and things) got into nails along time ago i then done a small manicure and peicure course and loved it to bits and now i am gonna be training in nail enhancements , and i really wanna just do nails full time (my mind is still pending as of what 2 do ) but the point is being a nail tech isnt just a nail tech its what u make of being a one , basically its a job that you are responsible for developing in - being in with the latest trends and whats hot whats not , new nail enhancement techniques , colour this season (hope im not confusing u babe ) , i work for O.P.I and i know im gonna love it , i know ur gonna love nails so go with what ur heart says sweety and just flow , U WILL B GREAT ! :biggrin:

With any job if you have good training and love what you do in all aspects it is more like having fun than working. Being a nail technician, it helps to be a people person, you meet all walks of life, some friendly some not so,some listen to advise some don't, and for a couple of hours you will be in their company doing the service.

Being self employed is hard work. You can reach a turnover but it takes long full days and getting your clientele.

I for one believe no one should get old and think 'if only' if you have your heart set on something go for it, if it doesn't work out at least you know you tried.

Working in admin etc will give you a solid place to start while training. Parents can be controlling at times but it is for our own good, they have lived and learnt and don't want their children going through the difficult and hard times. It is their way of protecting. Yes it can be quite suffocating at times but it is because they love you and want the best for you.

When you live on your own the realisation of how expensive it is, is quite a shock. If you want to build a business of your own then the safe surroundings of family home will give you a bit of stability.

Take care honey XX

I don't think you should worry at all about people thinking 'you arn't intelligent' because you work in the beauty industry. As with all walks of life, some people are more intelligent than others and what you choose to do as a job can bare little reflection on your intelligence. It's just that what rocks your boat (nails) dosen't do it for joe bloggs who fixes cars or works in an office. If you have found something you love and think you could do for a living you cannot be put off by other peoples misplaced opnions about how clever or not you might be for doing that job. I think we here are the lucky ones as we have found something we feel passionate about and feel lucky to be paid by other people to do, this is something that a lot of other people will probabily not have and are stuck in a dull job year in year out just to pay the bills.

hiya hun

Im currently studying my Nail services level 2 and i am really enjoying it, It goes into depth of all the terminology of the nail the stucture of the hand and arm also the bones of the foot and all the muscles in your lower leg.
You have clients and they stimualate being in a salon so that it gets you ready in getting out there and greeting clients and how to deal with clients that are picky or like to complain a lot. (bless um)
I have learnt so much without even realising its only when someone asks me something that i can reel off what ive learnt without blinking an eye
Ill def be doing my level 3 we are doing in nail services Nail art bt13
health and saftey
Nail enhancements (fiberglass)
manicure including luxury paraffin wax, hot oil treatments, hand masque
pedicure including luxury peds on all above
Make up
next year we do air brushing
gel
liqud and powder
tanning

Im also including in my studies ear piercing as an add on and ive just signed up for hopi ear candles and swedish massage. While there ive had so many treatments done which gives me an insight on other courses that i can attend myself. I def would go for it ive not started enhancements yet will be doing that after christmas but id def enjoying manicure and pedicures
but like everything practice makes perfect
good luck in what ever you decide
Deb x

Latest posts

Back